People leaving themselves "wide open" selling a house using realtorless sale outfit?

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
Re: People leaving themselves "wide open" selling a house using realtorless sale out

Hire a real estate lawyer experienced in residential transactions who will handle the transaction on an hourly basis. It's usually cheaper to pay the attorney by the hour than to pay a REALTOR a commission. An experienced real estate attorney will be familiar with the steps necessary and documentation required for the closing of escrow. This isn't rocket science.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Re: People leaving themselves "wide open" selling a house using realtorless sale out

Calgarians warm to realtor-less house sales - Calgary - CBC News

I'd be leery that later on a purchaser might allege the sale wasn't done "above board" or you misrepresented the property resulting in it being your word against theirs. Might be more costly in the long run?

Nah, like BaalsTears said, you hire a lawyer to dot the t's and cross the i's on the paperwork. There's title insurance and land transfer tax and mortgages; a host of legal issues with buying and selling a home you'd be wise to get a lawyer for.

I'd think the biggest hindrance might be, might be, the marketing. While I'm sure some people can handle the workload properly, and it does take work to sell a house, I'd guess many people would over estimate the value of their homes. But that's just a guess.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007

In ON a lawyer has to be involved with a real estate sale and everyone know that lawyers are honest. I've sold two houses without a realtor, one with comfree and one with Property Guys, and have had no problems and saved thousands of dollars.