Lockdown USA: Congress plans 700-mile ‘surge’ on Mexico border

B00Mer

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol agents patrol along the international border between Mexico and the United States near San Diego, California

If Congressional Republicans get their way, the 2,000-mile (3,200-km) border separating the US and Mexico will be equipped observation towers, surveillance drones and one guard every 1,000 feet (300 meters).

The proposal comes as a compromise initiative by the US Senate in an effort to pass a immigration reform bill. The legislation would see the Obama administration create a path to citizenship for some 11 million undocumented immigrants, while at the same time ease Republican fears of another mass-cross-border migration from Mexico.

The security plan, created by Republican Senators Bob Corker of Tennessee and John Hoeven of North Dakota, would station another 20,000 Border Patrol agents along the southern border, in addition to the 18,500 already there. The bill would also expand fencing and install a visa entry and exit system at seaports and international airports, among other costly features.

“It would be very difficult to create a stronger border security bill,” Dallas News quoted Corker as saying. “I don’t know what else could be done in this nation to secure the border if these inputs, once implemented, don’t work.”

However, the Republican plan for a ‘surge’ along the US-Mexico border – complete with a dazzling array of sophisticated gadgetry, including night-vision goggles, unmanned aerial vehicles and radar – has liberal groups worried that the US border will become a militarized zone.

These fears are heightened by the fact that border crossing interceptions have dropped significantly since 1999, when approximately 1.5 million migrants were apprehended attempting to cross into the US through Mexico, according to the Department of Homeland Security. Today, fewer than 250,000 immigrants attempting to cross illegally into the United States are stopped annually.

Statistics suggest that the struggling US economy is one reason why fewer Mexicans, among other nationalities, are attempting to illegally cross into the US for work. In the past two years, Mexico’s economy has grown at a healthy 3.9 percent annually, which has helped the Central American nation create jobs.

Maintenence personel check a Predator drone operated by U.S. Office of Air and Marine (OAM), before its surveillance flight near the Mexican border on March 7, 2013 from Fort Huachuca in Sierra Vista, Arizona.

A newly released report from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) forecasts that the immigration bill would actually reduce the federal budget deficit by $197 billion over the next decade, and $700 billion over the decade after that. The legislation would assimilate both skilled and unskilled workers from abroad, boosting American output and productivity.

The CBO predicts the US economy will be 5.4 percent larger in 2033 if the legislation is passed, and that average salaries would also be slightly higher.

Nevertheless, Republicans – mindful of the multitudes that streamed across the border after Ronald Reagan’s amnesty program in 1986 – have said they would not support Obama’s immigration bill unless it contained “concrete measures” to prevent foreigners from illegally entering the US from Mexico.

According to the Migration Policy Institute, maintaining security along the US-Mexico border already costs $18 billion a year – more than all other federal law enforcement agencies combined. Enhancing security along the Mexican border will cost an additional $30 billion, which may prove a bitter bill to swallow as Washington enacts austerity measures in its effort to trim spending.

John McCain (R-AZ), a co-author of the legislation, claims that this enhanced technology will allow the US Border Patrol to identify locations where undocumented migrants are attempting to cross. The 2008 Republican presidential candidate also wants to force all US companies to check the legal status of their workforce.

Some 40 percent of America’s immigrants have overstayed their visas, rather than entered the country illegally, the senator added.

Although America’s 2,000-mile border with Mexico is more secure than ever, it looks as if it will become even stronger at a time of severe strain on the US budget. The stage is set for ongoing debates between Democrats and Republicans over the limits of imposing security along its southern border, as well as what to do with the millions whose future in the United States remains uncertain.

source: http://rt.com/usa/us-mexico-border-i...mmigrants-041/

bill barilko
+1
#2  Top Rated Post
Until they can root out corruption in their own ranks it all amounts to a dry fart in a windstorm.

The USA is one of the most powerful countries on the planet with advanced military capability and they can't stop illiterate peasants from crossing the border and they can't stop amateur smugglers either?

It's all lies it's always been lies only the dumbest & most credulous believe those lies.

B00Mer
+1
Illegals are votes for Democrats, and cheap labor for Big Corporations...

All they have to do is create a National ID Card similar to New York States card used for crossing into Canada, and enforce laws against businesses who hire illegals..

If there are no jobs for illegals, the illegals will return home.. no cost to the country in mass deportations..

If the UK can do it, why not the USA or Canada..

damngrumpy
+1
I wonder about walls lets look at a few. Hadrian's, the Great Wall of China, the Berlin Wall and
some others all held promise in the end they all failed to achieve their goal Leads one to question
what value are they putting on this

BaalsTears
+1
I think the DMZ between North and South Korea is an effective barrier. Let it be an example.

I also think the US should open up free transportation for all from the US southern border to Canada.

Spade
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by BaalsTearsView Post

I think the DMZ between North and South Korea is an effective barrier. Let it be an example.

I also think the US should open up free transportation for all from the US southern border to Canada.

Jesus, not the Ralph Klein Calgary solution.

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

Jesus, not the Ralph Klein Calgary solution.

Ralph Klein, bless his heart.. he should have been PM.

petros
Is it to keep Mexicans out or Americans in?

darkbeaver
Americans are invading Canada now. When will our spineless brainless gutless ballless government act to stem this tide of starving uneducated Americans.

BaalsTears
None are so blind as those who will not see. I'm just amazed that so many Canadians are unable to see what is happening incrementally. Canadians are not observers in this drama...they are unwitting participants in a process that will play out over the next few decades.

darkbeaver
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by BaalsTearsView Post

None are so blind as those who will not see. I'm just amazed that so many Canadians are unable to see what is happening incrementally. Canadians are not observers in this drama...they are unwitting participants in a process that will play out over the next few decades.

You sir are an optimist. The playing decades are behind us, that;s the nature of debt, play now pay later. Time to pay the piper. Leave us alone you already got all the trees and fish and most of the good rocks. No! You can't have the water. Our summers are short we have to be thinking of winter now, it will begin in a few weeks, we can't contemplate American problems with empty stomachs in cold houses.
Last edited by darkbeaver; 3 weeks ago at 09:43 PM..

BaalsTears
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

You sir are an optimist. The playing decades are behind us, that;s the nature of debt, play now pay later. Time to pay the piper. Leave us alone you already got all the trees and fish and most of the good rocks. No! You can't have the water. Our summers are short we have to be thinking of winter now, it will begin in a few weeks, we can't contemplate American problems with empty stomachs in cold houses.

America, Mexico, and the Central American states are in the process of becoming one in the same way cancer takes over healthy cells. Do you really think Canada is going to escape? American, Mexican and Canadian political and economic elites are able to see the outlines of an evolving world order and plan to cope with in by creating a chimera in the hope that it will become a super competitor on the world stage.

darkbeaver
+1
The amigos? World stage? I'm tryimg to figuor if mysmow tires will get me into 2015/ The part of NA I inhabit escaped a long time ago, I live in the Cobequids, I'm impervious to progress or dimocrazy.

tay
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

If Congressional Republicans get their way, the 2,000-mile (3,200-km) border separating the US and Mexico will be equipped observation towers, surveillance drones and one guard every 1,000 feet (300 meters).

The proposal comes as a compromise initiative by the US Senate in an effort to pass a immigration reform bill. The legislation would see the Obama administration create a path to citizenship for some 11 million undocumented immigrants, while at the same time ease Republican fears of another mass-cross-border migration from Mexico.

The security plan, created by Republican Senators Bob Corker of Tennessee and John Hoeven of North Dakota, would station another 20,000 Border Patrol agents along the southern border, in addition to the 18,500 already there. The bill would also expand fencing and install a visa entry and exit system at seaports and international airports, among other costly features.

“It would be very difficult to create a stronger border security bill,” Dallas News quoted Corker as saying. “I don’t know what else could be done in this nation to secure the border if these inputs, once implemented, don’t work.”

However, the Republican plan for a ‘surge’ along the US-Mexico border – complete with a dazzling array of sophisticated gadgetry, including night-vision goggles, unmanned aerial vehicles and radar – has liberal groups worried that the US border will become a militarized zone.

These fears are heightened by the fact that border crossing interceptions have dropped significantly since 1999, when approximately 1.5 million migrants were apprehended attempting to cross into the US through Mexico, according to the Department of Homeland Security. Today, fewer than 250,000 immigrants attempting to cross illegally into the United States are stopped annually.

Statistics suggest that the struggling US economy is one reason why fewer Mexicans, among other nationalities, are attempting to illegally cross into the US for work. In the past two years, Mexico’s economy has grown at a healthy 3.9 percent annually, which has helped the Central American nation create jobs.

A newly released report from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) forecasts that the immigration bill would actually reduce the federal budget deficit by $197 billion over the next decade, and $700 billion over the decade after that. The legislation would assimilate both skilled and unskilled workers from abroad, boosting American output and productivity.

The CBO predicts the US economy will be 5.4 percent larger in 2033 if the legislation is passed, and that average salaries would also be slightly higher.

Nevertheless, Republicans – mindful of the multitudes that streamed across the border after Ronald Reagan’s amnesty program in 1986 – have said they would not support Obama’s immigration bill unless it contained “concrete measures” to prevent foreigners from illegally entering the US from Mexico.

According to the Migration Policy Institute, maintaining security along the US-Mexico border already costs $18 billion a year – more than all other federal law enforcement agencies combined. Enhancing security along the Mexican border will cost an additional $30 billion, which may prove a bitter bill to swallow as Washington enacts austerity measures in its effort to trim spending.

John McCain (R-AZ), a co-author of the legislation, claims that this enhanced technology will allow the US Border Patrol to identify locations where undocumented migrants are attempting to cross. The 2008 Republican presidential candidate also wants to force all US companies to check the legal status of their workforce.

Some 40 percent of America’s immigrants have overstayed their visas, rather than entered the country illegally, the senator added.

Although America’s 2,000-mile border with Mexico is more secure than ever, it looks as if it will become even stronger at a time of severe strain on the US budget. The stage is set for ongoing debates between Democrats and Republicans over the limits of imposing security along its southern border, as well as what to do with the millions whose future in the United States remains uncertain.

source: Lockdown USA: Congress plans 700-mile ?surge? on Mexico border ? RT USA

The Republicans had EIGHT years, with the 9/11 attack up front to do some thing meaningful and they chose not to.........Well okay, they put up a fence........

wwwyoutubecomwatchvXHjKBjM1ngw

BaalsTears
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

The amigos? World stage? I'm tryimg to figuor if mysmow tires will get me into 2015/ The part of NA I inhabit escaped a long time ago, I live in the Cobequids, I'm impervious to progress or dimocrazy.

Nova Scotia has resources. The Borg will come for them.

Quote: Originally Posted by tayView Post

The Republicans had EIGHT years, with the 9/11 attack up front to do some thing meaningful and they chose not to.........Well okay, they put up a fence........

The Republican Party is a political coalition. Its Big Business/Country Club/Chamber of Commerce faction benefits from an open border because it allows the importation of desperate, ignorant, unskilled, and impoverished people who will work for slave wages and depress the wages of the American working class. Ergo, that faction is self-interested in keeping the inflow of illegal immigrants going.

The Democratic Party and that faction of the Republican Party have a convergence of interest in the maintenance of illegal immigration. The middle class/working class faction of the Republican Party is alone in opposing illegal immigration.
Last edited by BaalsTears; 3 weeks ago at 12:55 PM..

Spade
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

Ralph Klein, bless his heart.. he should have been PM.

Good Lordy, no!

no new posts