Nazi hipsters? ‘Nipster’ movement spreading across Germany

B00Mer
Nazi hipsters? ‘Nipster’ movement spreading across Germany

The neo-Nazi movement has collided with the hipster subculture in Germany to form a group of youths wearing beards, trendy tote bags, and bandanas stitched with Nazi slogans. Media has dubbed the fiery mix of Nazi-hipsters “nipsters.”

The new recruits of the far-right movement have taken to YouTube, Tumblr, Instagram, and other social media, as the ‘hipsterfication’ of the neo-Nazi movement has gained more support among youths in Germany. However, they don't own the term “nipster” on the web – there they have to share the name with Asian hipsters, fans of masculine breasts, and less prominent groups that identify with it.

However, the term in its revised meaning was offered in a fresh report by Rolling Stone magazine, which interviewed Patrick Schroeder from northeastern Bavaria, one of the faces of the Nazi hipster movement who hopes to give it a friendlier social and political face.

Schroeder conducts seminars showing neo-Nazis how they can dress less threateningly, saying that people from other subcultures, including hip-hop, should be able to join the Nazi movement.

"If the definition of the nipster is someone who can live in the mainstream," Schroeder explained to Rolling Stone, "then I see it as the future of the movement."

The ‘Nazi fashionistas’ want to be in style by wearing trendy Converses, skinny jeans, tote bags, and brightly colored glasses together with beards.

“There were a lot of jokes about the Nazi hipsters. They had a bag saying ‘Please don’t shove, I’ve got a yogurt in my bag” journalist John Riceburg told RT.

They also filmed a Harlem shake video with people in black balaclavas and Anonymous masks dancing on junked cars with signs reading “Have more sex with Nazis, unprotected.”

Harlem Shake JN Magdeburg - YouTube

There is even a vegan Nazi cooking show where two chatty men wearing balaclavas show how to make various vegan dishes.

Riceburg explained that the Nazis have always tried to copy youth subcultures, giving the examples of skinheads who were originally “a kind of proletarian youth subculture” and eco-Nazis, or hippy-Nazis.

“They are trying to mainstream the Nazi and fascist ideas as being something which is acceptable,” Weyman Bennett, secretary of Unite Against Fascism, told RT. “We saw this in the 70s – the part of early punks wearing swastikas.”

From the early 70s to the 90s, the fascism movement has tried to “plug into the youth culture,” he added.

The Nazi movement has been gaining political support in Europe, Bennett said, pointing to the alarming trend and adding that for the first time since WWII, a Nazi organization has been elected to the EU parliament – referring to the French far-right party Front National headed by Marine Le Pen.

source: rt.com/news/168680-nazi-hipst...ampaign=chrome (external - login to view)

Twila
Pretty scary that ideology could be swayed by clothing.

Locutus
protip: Nationalsozialismus is not 'far-right'.

carry-on.

Tecumsehsbones
+2
#4  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

Pretty scary that ideology could be swayed by clothing.

And amazing that some Germans, however few, think that returning to the political and social philosophy that caused their country to be defeated, shattered, carved up into four parts, occupied, and divided for 45 years is a good idea.

Scheisskopfe.

B00Mer
+1
Just goes to show you, the Nut Bar Islamist are not the only ones to be feared, or concerned about.

Nuggler
+2
Stupid, eh..........The guy with the NDP sign got the letters wrong

Sal
+1
the shame that Germany has had to endure and just when the world was beginning to forgive and forget...up pops these azzhats

they will not be tolerated gladly

gopher
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

And amazing that some Germans, however few, think that returning to the political and social philosophy that caused their country to be defeated, shattered, carved up into four parts, occupied, and divided for 45 years is a good idea.

Scheisskopfe.

Hans Peter Bleuel predicted that Nazism could rise again in his book,

40 years ago when I read the book critics scoffed at his ideas. I guess they aren't doing so anymore.

damngrumpy
A tiny groups of misfits eh? That is what the masses said when Hitler staged the
Beer Hall Putsch in the fall of 1923. That event led to the sad events of WWII
because no one took it seriously.
Germany is and has been a hotbed of trouble through the pages of history along
with the rest of Mainland Europe. Britain not so much they were wreaking havoc
on the rest of the world.
Letting this crap continue is as bad as sitting back and letting the radicals in the
Middle East threaten the stability of the world, in many cases with our assistance.
No I am not in favor of intervening in a civil war but what is happening is cross
boarder in the Middle East.
I Germany watching the rise of these monsters is of concern not so much for me
but for grand kids and great grand kids that will have to fight another war.
Face it when its said it can't happen again history is littered with events that couldn't
repeat themselves but they did This is serious More serious than the Middle East
because it could destabilize Europe a major ally

gopher
+1
What is particularly strange is how/why this strange uprising should occur in a time of relative financial and social stability. This in marked contrast to the post WW I which led to the Hitler upheaval. It is no great surprise that radicalism arises or is aggravated in times of great instability. But why at a time when most people have jobs, access to medical care & other social services, and enjoy social upward mobility?

IdRatherBeSkiing
Quote: Originally Posted by gopherView Post

What is particularly strange is how/why this strange uprising should occur in a time of relative financial and social stability. This in marked contrast to the post WW I which led to the Hitler upheaval. It is no great surprise that radicalism arises or is aggravated in times of great instability. But why at a time when most people have jobs, access to medical care & other social services, and enjoy social upward mobility?

I don't think it is the same series of events. In the 1920s and 30s it started as a madman capturing the desperation of a mass of people to secure power. Once he got there, he made sure he kept it but to get there he had to capture the hearts of the majority (at least for a little while). I think these guys are a group of neer-do-wells who have too much time on their hands and are using naziism as a sort of social club. They will never get the strength together to be a major enough political party to have any real power.

Now events could change which may alter this but as it stands today, I don't see then as a true threat.

gopher
+1
Quote:

I don't see then as a true threat

There are extremist elements in Germany, France, Russia and in other countries. Luckily, there is the European Union and this likely will have a tendency to restrict the emergence of any one extremist element as a power in Europe. The USA has not escaped that with the rise of the Tea Baggers. Hopefully it will continue to decline as people realize how ridiculous the movement is.

Twila
Neo Nazis prey on the young disenfranchised and the angry. With Muslim extremism being a big concern for many, its' likely to galvanize youth who don't know better.

Ingo Hasselbach wrote a book called Furher-ex which talks about his involvement in becoming a neo nazi in the 80's. He has some amazing insight into the thought pattern and the propoganda and arguments used to convince other young people. He's no longer a neo nazi and actually works with organizations against this movement.

One of the oddest things in the book was that since Germany has some strict anti-hate laws, that much of the literature that's used comes from the USA and that many neo nazi's would serve in the military so they could kill those they hated.

It's a growing movement and I think it could become a huge problem in the blink of an eye.

Tecumsehsbones

Neo Nazis prey on the young disenfranchised and the angry. With Muslim extremism being a big concern for many, its' likely to galvanize youth who don't know better.

Ingo Hasselbach wrote a book called Furher-ex which talks about his involvement in becoming a neo nazi in the 80's. He has some amazing insight into the thought pattern and the propoganda and arguments used to convince other young people. He's no longer a neo nazi and actually works with organizations against this movement.

One of the oddest things in the book was that since Germany has some strict anti-hate laws, that much of the literature that's used comes from the USA and that many neo nazi's would serve in the military so they could kill those they hated.

It's a growing movement and I think it could become a huge problem in the blink of an eye.

I hope so. We need more European wars.

Twila
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

I hope so. We need more European wars.

I don't think it would be a European war.

Tecumsehsbones

I don't think it would be a European war.

Be kinda hard for Germany to have any other kind. No deep-water navy, no significant long-range air cargo capability. Basically they can only attack countries they can walk to.

You are correct, though. Nazism is only especially horrible because of its past success. I doubt there's a country on the planet that doesn't have an equally crack-brained notion. Possibly Iceland and Costa Rica, but that's about it.

Count_Lothian
And yet , before the signing of peace treaties the west and Russia were scrambling to capture and erm recruit their top minds and scientists.
Doctor Mengagale , and I use the term doctor loosely, all his findings were kept in secret in the United States .

Racial prejudice is alive and well in Europe. They followed one of the G7's lead ,and tried their hand at multiculturalism and it back fired.

Probably due to the fact they didn't spend the big dosh on educating their people out of the dark ages like Trudeau did.

Neo Nazism has always been. A rose by any other name would still be a rose.

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by NugglerView Post

Stupid, eh..........The guy with the NDP sign got the letters wrong

LOL not if you're German...

The National Democratic Party (Nationaldemokratische Partei Deutschlands, or NPD) is Germany's oldest nationalist party since 1945 and one of the few patriotic organizations not yet banned by the government.

History of the National Democratic Party (external - login to view)