Cons to hide from a public inquiry into deaths of 3 RCMP Officers.

Goober
Cons to hide from a public inquiry into deaths of 3 RCMP Officers.
Moncton MP denies reports of public inquiry into Mountie shootings - New Brunswick - CBC News

Moncton-Riverview-Dieppe MP Robert Goguen is backing away from earlier reports that the federal government will conduct a public inquiry into the fatal shootings of three Moncton Mounties and the wounding of two others.

The Conservative MP told CBC News on Tuesday night he is not calling for a public inquiry.

"No, not at all," said Goguen, who was in Saint John, attending the premier's dinner at the Hilton Trade and Convention Centre.

"Basically, every time there's an incident like there was in Moncton, which of course, is very tragic, as there was also in Mayerthorpe, Alberta, [when four officers were shot and killed in 2005] the RCMP review their procedures.

"That's what I'm referring to, when they call for an inquiry. And as in the Mayerthorpe incident, there were a number of recommendations that came forth in responding to emergency situations, whether it be the porcelain body armour, whether it be equipping the cars with the C-8 carbines," he said, responding to media reports based on a recent letter to the editor he had written to the Moncton newspaper.

lone wolf
+2
I think they're afraid that Tory policies are going to get some of the blame for setting up conditions

Goober
+3
#3  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

I think they're afraid that Tory policies are going to get some of the blame for setting up conditions

Lack of equipment. This caused 3 deaths. When you have Officers purchasing equipment you have a problem.
But the lapdog was quickly brought to heel.
All of this is due to massive cuts with no forethought.

Colpy
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Lack of equipment. This caused 3 deaths. When you have Officers purchasing equipment you have a problem.
But the lapdog was quickly brought to heel.
All of this is due to massive cuts with no forethought.

What equipment would have saved them??

There is no need for an inquiry, because there is no solution to the problem.

captain morgan
What exactly is the Conservative Party hiding from?

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

What exactly is the Conservative Party hiding from?

Who, besides the leftards, say they are hiding?

captain morgan
That's the $64k question... That and why do we bother having an administration at the RCMP if each and every situation that befalls them will be automatically downloaded onto the Federal gvt?

SLM
Public inquiry? What would be the scope? Are there allegations that something was mishandled or procedures were either not followed or inadequate? I could see it if there were additional deaths or injuries after the initial shooting took place, but by all accounts (as I have understood them) everything was handled appropriately.

Bottom line is, if someone decides to publicly kill people, they're going to find a way to do it even if everyone in law enforcement does everything by the book and to a T. The one variable you will never have control over is the criminal element, you can only take as many precautions as necessary that don't completely suppress the freedom for people to live their lives because, if not, what would be the point anyway.

Cliffy

Not everything is as it is portrayed in the media. Look a little deeper and you might find a good reason why there will be no inquiry and it ain't what you'd expect.

captain morgan
Why don't you get the ball rolling?

Goober
& years after Mayerthorpe.

Moncton RCMP lack guns, vests recommended 7 years ago - New Brunswick - CBC News

The Moncton, N.B., Mounties killed by a heavily armed gunman earlier this month did not have bulletproof vests to protect them against high-powered rifles, as recommended by a federal review seven years ago, says the spokesman for the Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada.

Ceramic-plated ballistic vests had to be flown into the southeastern New Brunswick city from Ottawa, Rob Creasser told CBC News.

In addition, the three Moncton RCMP members who died in the June 4 shootings and two who were wounded did not have Colt C8 patrol carbines, the high-powered, mid-sized rifles recommended by an inquiry into the 2005 deaths of four RCMP officers near Mayerthorpe, Alta., he said.

Instead, they had 9-mm handguns "not an adequate response" to an active shooter, said Creasser, a retired RCMP officer.

Three Moncton RCMP constables were killed and two others were wounded in the shootings June 4.

"Who knows whether it would have made a difference if they had responded and they had the high-calibre weaponry in their vehicle, or they had ballistic vests," said Creasser, whose group represents about 2,000 of the estimated 18,000 Mounties across Canada.

Still, he says, it's "troubling" and "sad" that seven years after a review of the Mayerthorpe deaths the single largest loss of life in the RCMP's history many officers still don't have the upgraded hard-shell body armour and the RCMP is only beginning the process of training officers to use Colt C8 patrol carbines.

Colpy
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

& years after Mayerthorpe.

Moncton RCMP lack guns, vests recommended 7 years ago - New Brunswick - CBC News

The Moncton, N.B., Mounties killed by a heavily armed gunman earlier this month did not have bulletproof vests to protect them against high-powered rifles, as recommended by a federal review seven years ago, says the spokesman for the Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada.

Ceramic-plated ballistic vests had to be flown into the southeastern New Brunswick city from Ottawa, Rob Creasser told CBC News.

In addition, the three Moncton RCMP members who died in the June 4 shootings and two who were wounded did not have Colt C8 patrol carbines, the high-powered, mid-sized rifles recommended by an inquiry into the 2005 deaths of four RCMP officers near Mayerthorpe, Alta., he said.

Instead, they had 9-mm handguns "not an adequate response" to an active shooter, said Creasser, a retired RCMP officer.

Three Moncton RCMP constables were killed and two others were wounded in the shootings June 4.

"Who knows whether it would have made a difference if they had responded and they had the high-calibre weaponry in their vehicle, or they had ballistic vests," said Creasser, whose group represents about 2,000 of the estimated 18,000 Mounties across Canada.

Still, he says, it's "troubling" and "sad" that seven years after a review of the Mayerthorpe deaths the single largest loss of life in the RCMP's history many officers still don't have the upgraded hard-shell body armour and the RCMP is only beginning the process of training officers to use Colt C8 patrol carbines.

Okay.

Please explain how either of those things would have saved lives.

Even the Level 2A soft body armour that I used to wear is uncomfortable and very warm. That is basically what the police wear. Add ceramic plates, and the armour becomes much hotter, and heavier, and rigid, restricting movement. NOBODY is going to wear it, and for good reason. Requiring someone to wear ceramic body armour when they may have to run, and will have to enter/exit cars repeatedly is simply unrealistic.

Was Bourque ever out of range of the police shotgun?? I doubt it.....and the shotgun is a very effective weapon.

Show me how anything could have prevented this..............

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Okay.

Please explain how either of those things would have saved lives.

Even the Level 2A soft body armour that I used to wear is uncomfortable and very warm. That is basically what the police wear. Add ceramic plates, and the armour becomes much hotter, and heavier, and rigid, restricting movement. NOBODY is going to wear it, and for good reason. Requiring someone to wear ceramic body armour when they may have to run, and will have to enter/exit cars repeatedly is simply unrealistic.

Was Bourque ever out of range of the police shotgun?? I doubt it.....and the shotgun is a very effective weapon.

Show me how anything could have prevented this..............

Where did I state prevent?
Where is - was the equipment needed?
Why did they not have it after 7 years?
Why are Officers still waiting for C8's and training, and other equipment?
As to preventing the deaths, I do not know.
No one does.
Until we have all the information, that cannot be reasonably determined.
And losing 3 Officers demands a public inquiry.

Corduroy
+1
Thank god the dutiful users of this forum will give the incident the inquiry it deserves.