Curmudgeon caught 'using cell phone jammer to keep motorists around him off the phon

mentalfloss
Driver, 60, caught 'using cell phone jammer to keep motorists around him off the phone'

A vigilante motorist is facing a $48,000 fine for allegedly using an illegal cell phone signal jammer in his SUV to keep drivers around him off the phone.

The Federal Communications Commission says that Jason R. Humphreys hid the jammer in his SUV and operated it every day on the Interstate 4 in Florida for about two years before he was caught.

The 60-year-old driver allegedly admitted he deployed the jammer, which transmits radio signals that interfere with or block electronic communications, to stop motorists driving while using their cells.

But the FCC claims the repercussions were far more serious - he was jamming cell phone towers and, potentially, the communications of emergency responders.

'The moral issue is that it's just very dangerous,' Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office spokesman Larry McKinnon told ABC Action News.

With the help of the Sheriff's office, agents pulled the Seffner man over. The report states that as they got close to Humphreys' car, they experienced interruption to their two-way portable radios.

According to officials, the driver admitted to using the jammer between 2011 and 2013 s and kept it underneath the seat cover on the passenger side.

'He indicated on the day that we stopped him that he was pretty much fed up with watching cell phone usage while people were driving,' police spokesman McKinnon said.

Driver, 60, caught 'using cell phone jammer to keep motorists around him off the phone' | Mail Online

Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
petros
+5
#2  Top Rated Post
What a great idea.

taxslave
+3
Only in the US would a hero get thrown in jail.

QuebecCanadian
+2
Hehe curmudgeon maybe... but resourceful.

I agree not nearly enough tickets given out for talking or texting.

But this guy was also blocking emergency calls, hands-free devices, and probably nearby pedestrians too.

Frankly, he probably caused more confusion and distraction around his vehicle than there might have been.

petros
+4
I can see why he's pissed off. Drunks are safer than gadget users when behind the wheel.
Last edited by petros; 4 weeks ago at 10:02 AM..

EagleSmack
+3
Damn... none of you guys you cell phones in car? None of your passengers do?

I just think the guy is a d*ck.

spaminator
+3

JLM
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Driver, 60, caught 'using cell phone jammer to keep motorists around him off the phone'

A vigilante motorist is facing a $48,000 fine for allegedly using an illegal cell phone signal jammer in his SUV to keep drivers around him off the phone.

Is he a curmudgeon or is he just trying to ensure safety for himself and his passengers? I'd give the guy a medal!

Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

And how could he be construed as a d*ck by anyone but a d*ck?
Last edited by JLM; 4 weeks ago at 10:00 AM..

petros
+1

Nope. That's my time. Passengers? They can shut up or I'll crank up some tunes on Ozzy's Boneyard and make them listen to old men in makeup screaming.

Spade
+1

Their cell phones are for emergency calls (i.e, family, friends, business) only.

EagleSmack
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

And how could he be construed as a d*ck by anyone but a d*ck?

Only a d*ck would post that.

mentalfloss
+2
Vigilante douche preventing 911 calls.

What a hero.

JLM

Only a d*ck would post that.

Does a person have to be a d*ck to ask a question?

Locutus

mentalfloss
Image fail.

Locutus
+2
bite me

Twila
+1
Car companies should come up with system where by no cell phone works inside the vehicle while the vehicle's drive is engaged. There could be a hands free docking station which would/could override it.

They could give reduced insurance rates to drivers willing to have such firmware installed in their vehicle.

Drivers who talk on their cell phones while driving and are not using hands free are extraordinarily selfish. There are absolutely no conversations that important.

Maybe they should institute a road side suspension along with the fines for people caught talking/texting while driving.

I think the curmudgeon should have taken public transport instead, if he was so worried about his safety.

JLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

Car companies should come up with system where by no cell phone works inside the vehicle while the vehicle's drive is engaged. There could be a hands free docking station which would/could override it.

They could give reduced insurance rates to drivers willing to have such firmware installed in their vehicle.

Drivers who talk on their cell phones while driving and are not using hands free are extraordinarily selfish. There are absolutely no conversations that important.

Maybe they should institute a road side suspension along with the fines for people caught talking/texting while driving.

I think the curmudgeon should have taken public transport instead, if he was so worried about his safety.

Very good post had you stopped one sentence sooner. -

Nuggler

Yep, he's a duck alright. Bang on there Eagle.

I have a hard time walking and chewing gum. No way I'm using a "device" while driving.........even stick the gum under the seat.

EagleSmack
+1

Does a person have to be a d*ck to ask a question?

Well... there you are.

Texting yeah... talking on the phone... not so much

Twila

Very good post had you stopped one sentence sooner. -

lol. maybe next time.

EagleSmack
+1

What about eating...drinking coffee, etc.?

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1

Or doing your makeup? I have seen people doing that on an expressway. Even moving their rear view mirror to get a good look at their face.

Nuggler
8o............bad ! All bad !

Eighty is bad ? How about ..........now that's bad.

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

Or doing your makeup? I have seen people doing that on an expressway. Even moving their rear view mirror to get a good look at their face.

Changing IPod/MP3 songs

petros

Jamming somebody's coffee is aggravated assault.

Nuggler
+2
Mooning someone while driving in the passing lane is really uncalled for

Slow lane, not so horrible

depending on the a ss

Twila

If the studies support a ban, I'm fine with it. Clearly, if people would just be more considerate and not succumb to instant gratification we might all be a bit safer on the road. People would have more money in their pocket too. Kind of a nice side effect really...

EagleSmack
I think cell phones in the car are great.

Now every time I blow by a police speed trap they more often than not have their head down texting/using data or on phone.

If the studies support a ban, I'm fine with it. Clearly, if people would just be more considerate and not succumb to instant gratification we might all be a bit safer on the road. People would have more money in their pocket too. Kind of a nice side effect really...

Banning swimming would help as well.

Fatty foods ban, alcohol ban... those would make us all safe too.

JLM
I doubt if there is any kind of idiocy that doesn't happen while people are driving. One of the worst I've seen (twice) is people driving with a dog in their lap!!