Curmudgeon caught 'using cell phone jammer to keep motorists around him off the phon

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Driver, 60, caught 'using cell phone jammer to keep motorists around him off the phone'

A vigilante motorist is facing a $48,000 fine for allegedly using an illegal cell phone signal jammer in his SUV to keep drivers around him off the phone.

The Federal Communications Commission says that Jason R. Humphreys hid the jammer in his SUV and operated it every day on the Interstate 4 in Florida for about two years before he was caught.

The 60-year-old driver allegedly admitted he deployed the jammer, which transmits radio signals that interfere with or block electronic communications, to stop motorists driving while using their cells.

But the FCC claims the repercussions were far more serious - he was jamming cell phone towers and, potentially, the communications of emergency responders.

'The moral issue is that it's just very dangerous,' Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office spokesman Larry McKinnon told ABC Action News.

With the help of the Sheriff's office, agents pulled the Seffner man over. The report states that as they got close to Humphreys' car, they experienced interruption to their two-way portable radios.

According to officials, the driver admitted to using the jammer between 2011 and 2013 s and kept it underneath the seat cover on the passenger side.

'He indicated on the day that we stopped him that he was pretty much fed up with watching cell phone usage while people were driving,' police spokesman McKinnon said.

Driver, 60, caught 'using cell phone jammer to keep motorists around him off the phone' | Mail Online

QuebecCanadian

Electoral Member
Apr 13, 2014
Hehe curmudgeon maybe... but resourceful.

I agree not nearly enough tickets given out for talking or texting.

But this guy was also blocking emergency calls, hands-free devices, and probably nearby pedestrians too.

Frankly, he probably caused more confusion and distraction around his vehicle than there might have been.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I can see why he's pissed off. Drunks are safer than gadget users when behind the wheel.

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Damn... none of you guys you cell phones in car? None of your passengers do?

I just think the guy is a d*ck.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Driver, 60, caught 'using cell phone jammer to keep motorists around him off the phone'

A vigilante motorist is facing a $48,000 fine for allegedly using an illegal cell phone signal jammer in his SUV to keep drivers around him off the phone.

Is he a curmudgeon or is he just trying to ensure safety for himself and his passengers? I'd give the guy a medal!

And how could he be construed as a d*ck by anyone but a d*ck?

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Nope. That's my time. Passengers? They can shut up or I'll crank up some tunes on Ozzy's Boneyard and make them listen to old men in makeup screaming.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Car companies should come up with system where by no cell phone works inside the vehicle while the vehicle's drive is engaged. There could be a hands free docking station which would/could override it.

They could give reduced insurance rates to drivers willing to have such firmware installed in their vehicle.

Drivers who talk on their cell phones while driving and are not using hands free are extraordinarily selfish. There are absolutely no conversations that important.

Maybe they should institute a road side suspension along with the fines for people caught talking/texting while driving.

I think the curmudgeon should have taken public transport instead, if he was so worried about his safety.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Car companies should come up with system where by no cell phone works inside the vehicle while the vehicle's drive is engaged. There could be a hands free docking station which would/could override it.

They could give reduced insurance rates to drivers willing to have such firmware installed in their vehicle.

Drivers who talk on their cell phones while driving and are not using hands free are extraordinarily selfish. There are absolutely no conversations that important.

Maybe they should institute a road side suspension along with the fines for people caught talking/texting while driving.

I think the curmudgeon should have taken public transport instead, if he was so worried about his safety.

Very good post had you stopped one sentence sooner. -:)

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

Yep, he's a duck alright. Bang on there Eagle. ;-)

I have a hard time walking and chewing gum. No way I'm using a "device" while driving.........even stick the gum under the seat.