Oil Sands vs. Tar Sands

JLM
Of all fricken things to get in a discussion over, this is currently being discussed on C.B.C. radio. Is "oil sands" not the more correct terminology? (If this is even worth discussing............................a rose is still a rose by any other name") -

Locutus
+2
I prefer Energy Sands.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

I prefer Energy Sands.

Or Money Sands! -

eh1eh
Carbon Sands. lol. Semantics.

Goober
Tax revenue approx 1 Trillion over 30 years.

taxslave
+3
#6  Top Rated Post
CBC radio still exists? I must complain to my MP about this oversight.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

CBC radio still exists? I must complain to my MP about this oversight.

There's a few good programs, but a lot of sh*t too. (Problem is, it would be P.I. to complain about the sh*t) -

petros
Since nobody answered the question.....

Tar is a man made product.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Since nobody answered the question.....

Tar is a man made product.

Good, "oil sands" is obviously more appropriate- (I never saw your question)

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Good, "oil sands" is obviously more appropriate- (I never saw your question)

It was your question.

JLM

It was your question.

Yeah, some old drama queen on "Cross Country check up" who wants oil production stopped tomorrow was ready to start W.W.3 (and 4 and 5) about changing the term tar sands to "oil sands". - I know we have "freedom of speech" but they should change that to "freedom of informed speech" -

Nuggler
+1
The big stink .............

JLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by NugglerView Post

The big stink .............

Still it's a naturally occurring phenomenon!

petros

The environment made it and it's man's job to clean it up before kids play in it.

Locutus
Cody Battershill ‏@codyincalgary (external - login to view)

Good context & perspective on how much land has been disturbed pending reclamation by the #oilsands (external - login to view) in almost 50 yrs

petros
+1
That is far far smaller than the clear cut known as the lower mainland.

JLM

That is far far smaller than the clear cut known as the lower mainland.

Yeah, about 276 square miles!

petros
+1
2877sq km (1111 mi) clear cut and paved with bitumen. Let's burn it down and return it to forest and Indians.
Last edited by petros; Jul 10th, 2014 at 08:41 PM..

Locutus
+1
What does a former #oilsands (external - login to view) mine look like? All land developed by the #oilsands (external - login to view) must legally be returned to nature.

https://twitter.com/codyincalgary/st...70496831078400 (external - login to view)

Grievous

What does a former #oilsands (external - login to view) mine look like? All land developed by the #oilsands (external - login to view) must legally be returned to nature.

https://twitter.com/codyincalgary/st...70496831078400 (external - login to view)

Would you build a house on this land and raise a family?

Zipperfish

Humans are a naturally occurring phenomenon.

What's going on with those bitumen leaks at CNR?

Locutus
"...tar sands might be taking more money out of (Canada) than they are putting in" - Crazy Tom Mulcair

petros

The eco-deposits are hefty and are a good source of money to play with for P&F Govts.

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by GrievousView Post

That isn't what it would be used for. Cities put soccer and baseball fields over their garbage pits. This looks somewhat dry so it some tailings spread out? That 'washed clean' sand needs to find a home on the international market. Right now it would be best spread out on the icy roads in the winter. The sand they use today is river sand so it is round and it needs salt to be mixed in before it becomes an effective traction device. The sand from there is sharp and it locks together without any additional binders so it is ready to use straight from the rail-car.
There must be all sorts of contaminated water and the clean sand won't hold it and there is not enough clay in the area to line all the 'ponds' but the lower grade oil/sand could certainly be made waterproof. Nature has water turn black at one point before a pasture exists. If that water can be cleaned then any water can. Loping off the time needed is something we could speed along. The worst of the worst won't get better with airation but the solution is close-by. The moss that floats on deeper muskeg is like a big sponge that is about 3ft thick on average. Invent some harvester that winds it up like sod and once onsite unroll it (in the winter) and leave it until fall and test it. If it is bad roll it and dry it out and use it in the furnaces, if it is better then another layer for next year might be needed and once the moss stays alive (no open water) the wildlife will also live and unless you plan on growing rice that is it and the stripped areas would be landing zones for birds that have clean water. Tar means grease at the bank, if you try to make it into gas you will need more money and more water and more gas than is available or ever will be available. Easy call, yes?
On the bright side it is the only ready made product that can smother a nuclear plant after the malfunction phase has happened so cash or credit is the only real issue in terms of worth.
As a grease factory it can run 100 years and make money the whole time, jet fuel would cost $23,000/ liter. Colpy, what does that add up to in your world?

That meadow needs some quick growing trees or willows or hemp or hemp or hemp. Unlike clay fields sandy soil gets tighter the wetter it gets so farming could be done with Syncrude sized equipment (their junk redesigned). If you can slope a field 5% to the sun for most of it would that not help the plants grow taller naturally and taller hemp is what you would be after as that is also used as biodegradeable netting to cover the sludge pits as their are being strained clean. Cheaper than hiding it in the first place and it can be exported technology and the land is productive if possible and not dangerous if it is wild.
Last edited by MHz; 4 weeks ago at 08:01 PM..

petros
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by GrievousView Post

F-ck yeah.

JLM
+1

F-ck yeah.

Some people fear the weirdest things yet they will deliberately go to Big Mac's and ingest pure poison! -

taxslave
Or you could just pull another crop of trees off that land in about 100 years. Meantime it is a good carbon sink.

petros

Some people fear the weirdest things yet they will deliberately go to Big Mac's and ingest pure poison! -

Or worse.

How many people live on Lake Ontario?

Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Or you could just pull another crop of trees off that land in about 100 years. Meantime it is a good carbon sink.

Farmland. That piece is worth good money and will produce an income yearly.

JLM
+1

Or worse.

How many people live on Lake Ontario?

I'd take a wild guess at 10 - 12 million within the catchment area.

Years ago Lake Erie was the filthiest of the Great Lakes.

petros
Two weeks in quarantine if you fell in the Don.

It all flows into Lk. Ontario.