Ebola 'Totally Out of Control,' Doctors Without Borders Says


Locutus
#1
The Ebola outbreak in West Africa is the deadliest ever seen and the virus is raging ‘‘totally out of control,’’ an official with Doctors Without Borders said Friday. The virus, which causes a particularly nasty form of hemorrhagic fever, has killed 337 people out of 528 infected, the World Health Organization says — making it by far the biggest and deadliest outbreak of Ebola since it was first identified in 1976.

‘‘The reality is clear that the epidemic is now in a second wave,’’ Bart Janssens, operations director for Doctors Without Borders in Brussels, told the AP. ‘‘And, for me, it is totally out of control.’’

The virus has been spreading since spring in three West African countries with fluid borders — Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia. The biggest outbreak affected 425 people in Uganda in 2000, killing 224 of them. There’s no good treatment and no cure for Ebola, which is highly transmissible.

Ebola 'Totally Out of Control,' Doctors Without Borders Says - NBC News

Move along, nothing to see citizen...go follow Rob Ford or watch the stupid soccer thing.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#2
Stay away from infected body fluids of humans or monkeys. Ebola is not airborne. And avoid fruit bats.
 
Sal
#3
pretty frightening when a doctor says Ebola is out of control.

It makes SARS look tame by comparison.
 
petros
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

Stay away from infected body fluids of humans or monkeys. Ebola is not airborne. And avoid fruit bats.

Fruit bats??? UhOh.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
#5  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

pretty frightening when a doctor says Ebola is out of control.

It makes SARS look tame by comparison.

SARS was caught airborn. Ebola looks gross and is a painful death but is a poor virus since it has too high a mortality rate, symptoms are obvious and can only be transmitted by bodily fluids.
 
Sal
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

SARS was caught airborn. Ebola looks gross and is a painful death but is a poor virus since it has too high a mortality rate, symptoms are obvious and can only be transmitted by bodily fluids.

except you leak like a sieve when you have it..it's hemorrhagic fever...your lips touch cups and glasses and you bleed out everywhere...

in the bush they just place all individuals with it in a hut, burn it down and flee into the jungles until it goes back to ground...in populated city it could spread like wild fire

there are some books out there (not fiction) that predicted this years ago...this is not a disease to play with...
 
Tonington
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

SARS was caught airborn. Ebola looks gross and is a painful death but is a poor virus since it has too high a mortality rate, symptoms are obvious and can only be transmitted by bodily fluids.

Pretty much. It wouldn't affect nearly as many if they had better quarantine measures. It just happens to affect some of the poorest nations, so....
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

Pretty much. It wouldn't affect nearly as many if they had better quarantine measures. It just happens to affect some of the poorest nations, so....

It can be passed by surviving males in their bodily fluids for 2 months after cure. If it had a lower mortality rate, it would be like AIDS.

Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

except you leak like a sieve when you have it..it's hemorrhagic fever...your lips touch cups and glasses and you bleed out everywhere...

in the bush they just place all individuals with it in a hut, burn it down and flee into the jungles until it goes back to ground...in populated city it could spread like wild fire

there are some books out there (not fiction) that predicted this years ago...this is not a disease to play with...

I don't think you should be caring for a relative sick with Ebola. Call 911 and have him/her quarantined.
 
Sal
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

It can be passed by surviving males in their bodily fluids for 2 months after cure. If it had a lower mortality rate, it would be like AIDS.



I don't think you should be caring for a relative sick with Ebola. Call 911 and have him/her quarantined.

lol... germaphobe that I am, I'd be out of town so fast the door wouldn't be shut behind me before i was two towns over
 
Locutus
#10
U.N.: Ebola outbreak could become pandemic
 
EagleSmack
#11

Dawn of the Dead amp Johnny Cash credits - YouTube

 
Zipperfish
#12
Didn't ebola mutate into an airborne form once--for primates? Seem to remember reading a book about it.
 
Walter
#13
Obviously caused by climate change.
 
eh1eh
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

Obviously caused by climate change.

It's not, of course.
It's Jesus will to control the surplus population. Right?
 
taxslave
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1ehView Post

It's not, of course.
It's Jesus will to control the surplus population. Right?

OK sure
 
Blackleaf
#16
It'll not be long before you get black American couples naming their daughters Ebola.
 
darkbeaver
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

It'll not be long before you get black American couples naming their daughters Ebola.

That's not as stupid limey's naming their idiot children Elizabeth or Harry after their hereditary owners.
 
Blackleaf
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

That's not as stupid limey's naming their idiot children Elizabeth or Harry after their hereditary owners.


It is. It is a LOT more stupid that calling someone Harry (unless you live in Birmingham, Alabama; or Brooklyn).

And many people think I'm being silly for suggesting that it won't be long until black Americans call their daughters Ebola. But just you wait and see. You read it here first...
 

Similar Threads

4
New Ebola outbreak
by Tonington | Aug 6th, 2012
5
no new posts