Death Penalty.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Those that support a Death Penalty.
If you have a religious belief(s), how do you reconcile those beliefs with a death penalty

Myself, I would rather see them rot in prison till the end of their days.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I would vote in favour of it in a referendum but I am not standing on a soap box demanding it. I am also not upset when one is executed or even botched.

I reconcile that with the fact that I am not the one killing them.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
And when DNA evidence proves someone innocent, what do you do?

They could always make this a manditory test before killing them. There must be conclusive DNA test positive BEFORE they put a convict to death.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
And when DNA evidence proves someone innocent, what do you do?

I do nothing. Again, it's not me. I find it a very convenient position.

But if I were the one making the legislation, I would not have the death penalty automatic. A second trial with judges not jury and the prosecution would need to justify why they want it. I would also be reluctant to enforce it without DNA evidence on the plus side. But I am not a legislator nor have I played one on TV. I did not even stay at a Holiday Inn express last night.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Two votes for malicious sustained revenge instead of quick and dirty revenge.

No revenge, take a life, then serve life.
Malicious, what about those that beat or starve a child to death- 10 maybe 15 years. Life in prison.
Yes they will rot and that is not revenge, they were not murdered now were they.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I would extend that to prosecutorial misconduct and judges who knowingly allow suppression of exculpatory evidence or to deny the discussion of manufactured or planted evidence in court. All shielding laws which protect police, prosecutors, and judges under these circumstances need to be wiped off the books.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
DNA does not always tell the truth. While the samples match, it is also evidence provided by witnesses. Often enough, to be more than credible, people have been cleared years later when it was found the Police tampered with witnesses, the Prosecutor withheld documents.
Yep- the DNA was on the victim.
Like I says it ain't always telling you if the person committed murder.

If I recall correctly the French have a perjury law- If you lie in a case where a person could be sentenced to life, if you are convicted of perjury, that sentence applies to your case.
Same if it was a max of 10.

For those support the DP, would you also support the following. Come on now, show the strength of your convictions.

So for Prosecutors and Police that tamper and deliberately skirt the law and the intent of the Law that results in a DP conviction. Regardless of whether the execution takes place, should they also be tried with the DP, the only option aside from innocent?
They are complicit and send a person, deliberately, no different that one that shoots someone, ceptin they had time to plan to send a person to die.

Yep- Automatic DP if convicted.
Of course those that support the DP would have to agree with this now, wouldn't you?

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Why don't you simply say, Goober, that capital punishment is barbaric, like games in the Roman
Colosseum.

Last edited:

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Those that support a Death Penalty.
If you have a religious belief(s), how do you reconcile those beliefs with a death penalty

Myself, I would rather see them rot in prison till the end of their days.
Well, if you're a Jeebus follower, this world is a vale of tears and the hereafter is all cuddly bunnies and chillin' with Gawd. So actually we're doing the condemned a favour.

Why don't you simply say, Goober, that capital punishment is barbaric, like games in the Roman Forum?
The Forum?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I am only in favour of the death penalty for a certain type of person: Serial rapists and Serial killers.