VIDEO: Grieving Mother Forgives Teen Who Killed 13-Year Old Daughter In Court

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I don't know folks...she managed this far faster than I could I think...maybe in a year I could but a few weeks...I don't think so

A Florida mother has forgiven the teen who shot and killed her daughter in court. On Tuesday, grieving mom Ady Dejesus embraced Jordyn Howe.

Howe pleaded guilty for the 2012 shooting death of his friend, Lourdes “Jina” Guzman-DeJesus, 13. Howe had brought his stepfather’s gun on the school bus, firing it once at the ground.

“It’s such a painful experience,” she said. “Two parents should never ... I can’t.”

Howe, now 16, confessed immediately to the crime, pleading guilty to three charges -- including manslaughter with a deadly weapon.

“I’m just sorry for her loss and I apologize for doing what I did,” he said.
"I really do forgive him, I forgive him for what he did and I’m just happy he understands what he did," she told WSVN. "That was Gina’s friend too, and I know she wouldn't want the worst... have him help change things."

Howe accepted a plea deal- requiring him to spend a year in a juvenile facility. Prosecutors charged Howe as an adult with manslaughter.

Jina's mom says she's glad Howe has taken responsibility for his actions. The grief of his daughter's death was too much for Jina’s father to bear. He committed suicide two weeks after the shooting.

As part of his plea deal, Howe is required to appear at local schools warning students about the dangers of playing with guns.

VIDEO: Grieving Mother Forgives Teen Who Killed 13-Year Old Daug - FOX 13 News

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
me too...she is on some far plain from where I'm at

I consider myself forgiving but not even close to that

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Reminded me of this.

Amish Forgive School Shooter, Struggle with Grief : NPR

Far worse situation in terms of intent of the shooter, but they forgave even faster. I remember being confused by that at the time. Everyone is different when it comes to these sorts of things.
I'm not that highly evolved... I couldn't do it

I'd need at least a year, and this kid killing her daughter was an accident

this kid is going to feel remorse everyday for the rest of his life, but I still couldn't hug him (I don't think)

I would need processing time

heck when someone really ticks me off I have to process that for a few days..death of a loved one, meh, not so fast

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
She knew the kid, the kids were best friends, the intent wasn't murder or harm and was an accident. Knowing what he will live with is more than enough punishment.

And with her husband also committing suicide over this, she would either end up going down the same path while holding onto resentment, anger and bitterness over a situation where chance played more of a role than anything..... Or find a different path to take.

I'm sure she will still have to deal with this for a long time and will still have issues to handle, but to keep in mind that this kid has to live with the fact that two lives have already ended because of his stupidity..... It's all about perspective.