Have we turned childhood into a disease?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Have we turned childhood into a disease? - Saskatchewan - CBC News

"This country has become too reliant on pills as a means of solving life’s problems says the editor of the Canadian Journal of Psychiatry.

According to Joel Paris, over the past few decades the Canadian medical establishment has increasingly viewed behaviour problems as biologically caused.

“It’s an attitude that says mental problems are due to chemical (imbalance), drugs restore chemical balances, therefore lets prescribe them,” Paris explained.

“I find it troubling.”

He said it’s likely that decades ago doctors overlooked legitimate mental disorder, chalking it up to merely bad behaviour. But he said now this country has the opposite problem.

“Every nerdy kid is being told... ‘maybe this is autistic spectrum disorder or asperger’s,’” Paris said. “Any kid who’s disruptive in school may be diagnosed with ADHD.”

And he said it’s by no means a problem limited to children. Paris argued that right across the board there has been a “radical over-diagnoses” of mental illness.

“We’re giving psychiatric diagnoses to people who don’t merit them, are just unhappy and may not really require drug treatment.”

Care used to be holistic

Paris said decades ago when he was trained as a psychiatrist there was a more holistic approach to treatment, which involved psychotherapy. However now “we’re only on this one track and a patient can’t get out of our offices without a prescription.”......

(Continued on Link)

I agree and I've noticed this trend for years. I was put on anti-depressants for a year and then got off them.

The reason why I got off them was because I knew I was depressed, I just needed to know why and fix it. I was depressed because of things in my life. I dropped the relationship I was in, dropped the so-called friends, found a better job and got my life on track. That and I stopped taking Ecstasy with those so-called friends. That stuff will make you feel great about life and love everybody around you, but 48 hours later, life sucks, everything is sh*t and you have the worst life on the planet.... and it all starts to add up.

The anti-depressants were more just to allow me to put up with the things I didn't like in my life and that's not really a solution.

Yes, there are people who truly have mental disorders, but Depression itself isn't a mental disorder, it's an emotion, at least that's what it was when I was growing up.

People can't be happy all the time, there are reasons why you get upset, sad and depressed, it's a part of life.

And just because a kid acts out or does things out of the norm from other kids, that doesn't mean they have a mental disorder. I was a show off in school, but I also wasn't very popular either.... I also didn't pay attention to much in school except the things that interested me.

The things that didn't interest me, I just did what I needed to to get a pass so I could keep going and focus on the things I liked.

Did that make me someone with ADHD, ADD or ADIDAS?

In today's world, it probably would make me one.... but I'm an adult now, I am a functioning member of society, I pay my taxes and I haven't chopped anybody up with an axe.

Life isn't perfect and if you truly want life to be perfect, there's a pill for that.

Last edited:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The other day I was talking with a friend about mental illness. I contend that the truly crazy people are the ones who think they are normal. A guy once said to me, during a similar discussion on mental health issues, "but I'm normal." I said, "there is a cure for that."

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Used to be we beat kids into submission. Nowadays we're way more enlightened, and we drug 'em into submission.

That's progress of a sort, I guess.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
There is an organic action in the brain for every single thing that happens to the body. What if these "chemical imbalances" are just the brain working? doing it's thing.

What if some childhood issues are actually just children being individuals? What if we learned to teach children instead of expecting them to figure out how to learn from the way we teach?

Being healthy (physically and mentally) requires active effort everyday. Maybe we have become too busy with inconsequential stuff to take proper care of our basic needs?

I've had some issues with anxiety over the last year. It's better now. I had some stuff to work through. Some really bad stuff. I opted to not take doctor prescribed meds. I walked, I hiked, I cried, I worked out at the gym til I dropped, I smoked pot, I spoke of it when appropriate and I did an awful lot of thinking about it. Active thinking. Not just letting whatever thought flit through, but examining it, spinning it, feeling it. It's helped. It's been an active process.

I think we are not actively mentally engaged with life. We are passively hoping to lose weight, take a pill to be healthy and we passively listen. Passively respond. Life is hard. Passivity will make life and living it pass you by.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Far more kids make it to adulthood now than did at any time in the past so it can't be that bad. Though I will admit the amount of people on drugs and doctors handing them out like candy is a bit strange. They tried to put me on several. They didn't really do anything so I stopped. Im not a doctor or anything so I can't really say one way or another if this is actually a good thing or not.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Childhood is not a disease it's a treatable condition. All you have to do is keep the the kids out of school and away from TV. The wedge between children and the natural world is driven in early and with destructive purpose. So when you're standing on the side of the road waving at the school bus you're celebrating their imprisonment and impairment.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
We had a kid diagnosed with the condition TEA - Toy Excess Attention. Got a prescription for that.