Friendly fire kills 5 American troops in Afghanistan

Locutus
Five American troops were killed in an apparent friendly fire tragedy in southern Afghanistan, the Pentagon said Tuesday.

The deaths occurred Monday when the unit came into contact with enemy forces, the coalition headquarters in Kabul said in a statement. The deaths are under investigation.

"Tragically, there is the possibility that fratricide may have been involved," the coalition statement said.

The incident comes as U.S. and allied forces are drawing down and turning the fight over to Afghan security forces.

Monday's deaths rank among of the most serious cases involving coalition-on-coalition friendly fire during the nearly 14-year Afghan war. One of the worst came in April 2002 when four Canadian soldiers were killed when an American F-16 dropped a bomb on them near a night firing exercise in the southern Kandahar.

Several news outlets, including the Associated Press and Afghanistan's Pajhwok Afghan News, reported that Monday's event took place in Arghandab district when troops called for air support during an operation in Gizee area. An Afghan National Army member and an interpreter also were killed, Pajhwok reported.

Taliban spokesman Qari Yusuf Ahmadi told Pajhwok that Taliban fighters were locked in a gun battle with foreign troops when coalition planes bombed their own troops.

The deaths bring to 36 the number of NATO soldiers killed so far this year in Afghanistan, with eight service members killed in June.

Friendly fire kills 5 NATO troops in Afghanistan (external - login to view)

taxslave
I betthosebeing fired upon didn't view itas friendlyfire.

Praxius
+2
#3  Top Rated Post
Again?

Time to bring out the old brightly coloured uniforms again.

Allies can be Neon Green and the Taliban can be Pylon Red.

BaalsTears
Who sent those soldiers to Afghanistan to fight for nothing? Could it be Obama?

#juan
+2
It's not "friendly fire", it is "stupid fire". When one soldier is hit with fire from his own side, it is an accident. Five killed is a failure of the leadership. I hate the term "friendly fire".

IdRatherBeSkiing
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

It's not "friendly fire", it is "stupid fire". When one soldier is hit with fire from his own side, it is an accident. Five killed is a failure of the leadership. I hate the term "friendly fire".

You are assuming it was a bullet. In this case it was air support which got more with one shot.

Quote: Originally Posted by BaalsTearsView Post

Who sent those soldiers to Afghanistan to fight for nothing? Could it be Obama?

Bush was pres when Americans were sent to Afganistan.

#juan
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

You are assuming it was a bullet. In this case it was air support which got more with one shot.

Early in the Afghan conflict four Canadians were killed and eight wounded by an American fighter/bomber pilot who should have known better....who was repeatedly told there were Canadians in the area but bombed anyway.

BaalsTears

...Bush was pres when Americans were sent to Afganistan.

The tour of duty of the five deceased soldiers in question began during the Obama administration.

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

Early in the Afghan conflict four Canadians were killed and eight wounded by an American fighter/bomber pilot who should have known better....who was repeatedly told there were Canadians in the area but bombed anyway.

Really? As simple as that?

Good grief.

Earlier in the war a Canadian soldier shot and killed another Canadian soldier after knowing he was a Canadian soldier and right in front of him. But that's ok because it was Canadian on Canadian and not as news worthy.
Last edited by EagleSmack; Jun 10th, 2014 at 12:30 PM..

IdRatherBeSkiing

The tour of duty of the five deceased soldiers in question began during the Obama administration.

A new one or a renewal of the previous one?

BaalsTears

A new one or a renewal of the previous one?

The longest tours of duty in Afghanistan have been fifteen months. I think the average tour of duty is shorter now.

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by PraxiusView Post

Again?

Time to bring out the old brightly coloured uniforms again.

Allies can be Neon Green and the Taliban can be Pylon Red.

I figure it was them five deadly Taliban supermen Obama let go because he wants to destroy America.

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

I figure it was them five deadly Taliban supermen Obama let go because he wants to destroy America.

His bonus for destroying America will be huge. He's almost got it done. I bet you voted for him it the thing.

Mowich
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

Really? As simple as that?

Good grief.

Nothing is simple in war, Eagle.......as well you know but when all is said and done, they are still dead and it wasn't the bad guys that killed them.

Quote:

Earlier in the war a Canadian soldier shot and killed another Canadian soldier after knowing he was a Canadian soldier and right in front of him. But that's ok because it was Canadian on Canadian and not as news worthy.

Yes, we also were informed of this death.

War is senseless but the deaths of soldiers be they American or Canadian, British or whatever at the hands of "friendlies", seem just that much more so. Very sad to hear about these latest deaths.

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by MowichView Post

Nothing is simple in war, Eagle.......as well you know but when all is said and done, they are still dead and it wasn't the bad guys that killed them.

I should have used purple font.

Quote:

Yes, we also were informed of this death.

It just doesn't have those legs though I guess.

IdRatherBeSkiing

The longest tours of duty in Afghanistan have been fifteen months. I think the average tour of duty is shorter now.

But my point is that the conflict is continued from Bush to Obama. It is not something you should be 'blaming' on either president.

BaalsTears

But my point is that the conflict is continued from Bush to Obama. It is not something you should be 'blaming' on either president.

Then who is responsible for the deaths of the five men in question?

Cliffy

Then who is responsible for the deaths of the five men in question?

Halliburton and the other corporations that make a killing from war. Presidents are just puppets of those corporations.

Oh, I can see another red coming from Wally.

captain morgan
Why stop at Haliburton on this? Fruit of the Loom Corp makes the cotton briefs that allow the soldiers to operate in comfort..... The underwear industry are making out like bandits on this