Government rules cheese can't age on wooden boards

Locutus
Government rules cheese can't age on wooden boards - and that Americans can't import cheese from Europe that was aged on wooden boards in methods used for thousands of years (external - login to view)

A sense of disbelief and distress is quickly rippling through the U.S. artisan cheese community, as the federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA) this week announced it will not permit American cheesemakers to age cheese on wooden boards.

Recently, the FDA inspected several New York state cheesemakers and cited them for using wooden surfaces to age their cheeses. The New York State Department of Agriculture & Markets' Division of Milk Control and Dairy Services, which (like most every state in the U.S., including Wisconsin), has allowed this practice, reached out to FDA for clarification on the issue. A response was provided by Monica Metz, Branch Chief of FDA's Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition's (CFSAN) Dairy and Egg Branch.

In the response, Metz stated that the use of wood for cheese ripening or aging is considered an unsanitary practice by FDA, and a violation of FDA's current Current Good Manufacturing Practice (cGMP) regulations. Here's an excerpt:

more

Cheese Underground: Game Changer: FDA Rules No Wooden Boards in Cheese Aging (external - login to view)

lone wolf
Are they going to outlaw church pews next?

SLM
+1
You know it really affects me that the U.S. artisan cheese community is in distress.

No. No really.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
They do have a point. I think people will complain and say its unfair, etc. until an outbreak of Liseria or something happens. Then it will be 'how come the FDA didn't do something to prevent it?'. Well, they are.

Now perhaps a compromise can be reached by posting a warning label on cheese. Not sure how the legalities of that would work.

55Mercury
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Are they going to outlaw church pews next?

Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

You know it really affects me that the U.S. artisan cheese community is in distress.

No. No really.

Then just think about how distressed I am at the thought of cheese on a church pew!

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by 55MercuryView Post

Then just think about how distressed I am at the thought of cheese on a church pew!

Live in fear Merc.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

No. No really.

I would say that French cheese producers would be as distressed as any.

Walter
BHO's America; gubmint knows best.

QuebecCanadian
The government is ruling on cheese now? :/

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by QuebecCanadianView Post

The government is ruling on cheese now? :/

Yes.

lone wolf
+3
#11  Top Rated Post
Wait'll they find out cheese is bacterial culture - preserved milk and natural

gopher
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

BHO's America; gubmint knows best.

Actually, the Food Safety Modernization Act of 2011 was an extension of the Public Health Security and Bioterrorism Preparedness Response Act passed in 2002 by Bush.

taxslave
+1
Interesting, since it is a fact that plastic cutting boards are less sanitary than wooden boards.

Locutus
(external - login to view)
Arthur Kimes ‏@ComradeArthur (external - login to view)

They can stop cheese at the border but not kids.

Il n'est pas un bazinga

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by gopherView Post

Actually, the Food Safety Modernization Act of 2011 was an extension of the Public Health Security and Bioterrorism Preparedness Response Act passed in 2002 by Bush.

But it's Obama's fault, as were Pearl Harbor and the Boston Massacre.

Twila
+1

Are you suggesting it's a cultural thing?

Corduroy
+1
It's about ****in' time.

lone wolf
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

Are you suggesting it's a cultural thing?

Ouite.... There may be some legal protection that way

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

And 9/11 cuz he's muslim

darkbeaver

Loose lips ya know, sinking ships ya remember, you may have just exterminated cheese production in the USA.http://forums.canadiancontent.net/im...cons/icon7.gif

lone wolf
Thornloe will be happy to take up the slack. It's worth the drive

gopher
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

As were the San Francisco earthquake, the London fire of 1666, and the Fall in the Garden of Eden.