School children in B.C. never failed.


JLM
+1
#1
It was brought to my attention on Global News last night that no students in B.C. are ever failed under any circumstances! How does this bullsh*t prepare kids today for the realities of life? It's through our failures that we gain strength and ability to contend with adversity. Teachers want even more pay to perpetuate this bullsh*t - time to get real!
 
Walter
#2
It's what the progressives want, Utopia.
 
JamesBondo
+1
#3
Having a 10 year old in with my 7 year old is absolute Bull****. Push him upward and outward. If he lacks training and education as an adult then let him pay out the dime for that.
 
JLM
+1
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by JamesBondoView Post

Having a 10 year old in with my 7 year old is absolute Bull****. Push him upward and outward. If he lacks training and education as an adult then let him pay out the dime for that.


"Utopia" sits on a very flimsy framework located right above the Sh*t house. -

Quote: Originally Posted by JamesBondoView Post

Having a 10 year old in with my 7 year old is absolute Bull****. Push him upward and outward. If he lacks training and education as an adult then let him pay out the dime for that.


How's he going to get the "dime"? Oh I get it off us enterprising types who are able to earn the dime! -
 
Sal
+1
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

It was brought to my attention on Global News last night that no students in B.C. are ever failed under any circumstances! How does this bullsh*t prepare kids today for the realities of life? It's through our failures that we gain strength and ability to contend with adversity. Teachers want even more pay to perpetuate this bullsh*t - time to get real!

I ask you why is this the fault of teachers. Explain to me what the fuk a teacher has to do with this?

Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

"Utopia" sits on a very flimsy framework located right above the Sh*t house. -




How's he going to get the "dime"? Oh I get it off us enterprising types who are able to earn the dime! -

could you explain this in English?

thanks
 
JLM
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

I ask you why is this the fault of teachers. Explain to me what the fuk a teacher has to do with this?


could you explain this in English?

thanks


Oh, perhaps I'm mistaken but I've been under the impression that it is the teacher's job to teach kids so they could pass the exam! How's that for English?

Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

could you explain this in English?

thanks


I was just responding with the metaphors provided by Walter and James! - Thought perhaps they would better understand my replies!
 
JamesBondo
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Oh, perhaps I'm mistaken but I've been under the impression that it is the teacher's job to teach kids so they could pass the exam! How's that for English?




I was just responding with the metaphors provided by Walter and James! - Thought perhaps they would better understand my replies!

I would agree that sounds like a great job for our teachers. However, the 10 year old had his chance, and now it is my son's turn. While the system may have failed him, it is not a good enough reason for the system to fail my son too because they are burning up their resources on a failure like the 10 year ols.
 
Sal
+1
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Oh, perhaps I'm mistaken but I've been under the impression that it is the teacher's job to teach kids so they could pass the exam! How's that for English?




I was just responding with the metaphors provided by Walter and James! - Thought perhaps they would better understand my replies!

you are mistaken. Get over your impression.

Teachers teach the curriculum as best they can with a thousand fuking interruptions per day from entitled parents, grandparents, principals and every other top official who imposes their expert knowledge into the equation. Everybody is an expert.... but they are not...they don't have a clue how things work on a daily basis or what is involved but they sure are quick to judge.

You have 30 kids in a room, IQs ranging from waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay below average to waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay above average. You have to get through a sh*t load of material and the majority of kids have to understand it.

I am not a teacher, but they are always the target.... they are not responsible for how passing or failing is handled... you don't like it get involved.... you want to blame find out who is responsible
 
JLM
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

you are mistaken. Get over your impression.

Teachers teach the curriculum as best they can with a thousand fuking interruptions per day from entitled parents, grandparents, principals and every other top official who imposes their expert knowledge into the equation. Everybody is an expert.... but they are not...they don't have a clue how things work on a daily basis or what is involved but they sure are quick to judge.

You have 30 kids in a room, IQs ranging from waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay below average to waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay above average. You have to get through a sh*t load of material and the majority of kids have to understand it.

I am not a teacher, but they are always the target.... they are not responsible for how passing or failing is handled... you don't like it get involved.... you want to blame find out who is responsible


You sound like you have an opinion!- Whose job is it to teach the kids? I guess I've been under the wrong impression for 60+ years.
 
Sal
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

You sound like you have an opinion!- Whose job is it to teach the kids? I guess I've been under the wrong impression for 60+ years.

their success at teaching was not the OP...your OP was on children's failure and blaming the teachers because children were pushed forward... no? and somehow you felt this displayed their inadequacies at their job and that they were undeserving of their pay

It was brought to my attention on Global News last night that no students in B.C. are ever failed under any circumstances! How does this bullsh*t prepare kids today for the realities of life? It's through our failures that we gain strength and ability to contend with adversity. Teachers want even more pay to perpetuate this bullsh*t - time to get real!

you linked the teachers and their pay to this and called "bullsh*t"(your words, not mine)
I say one has nothing to do with the other and that linking them together is unfair and irrelevant not to mention misinformed.
 
JLM
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

their success at teaching was not the OP...your OP was on children's failure and blaming the teachers because children were pushed forward... no? and somehow you felt this displayed their inadequacies at their job and that they were undeserving of their pay

It was brought to my attention on Global News last night that no students in B.C. are ever failed under any circumstances! How does this bullsh*t prepare kids today for the realities of life? It's through our failures that we gain strength and ability to contend with adversity. Teachers want even more pay to perpetuate this bullsh*t - time to get real!

you linked the teachers and their pay to this and called "bullsh*t"(your words, not mine)
I say one has nothing to do with the other and that linking them together is unfair and irrelevant not to mention misinformed.


Sorry, I did word it poorly. I guess I (the taxpayer) am as frustrated as the teacher. As hard as the teachers probably try, I can't see giving them more money to operate in a bogus system. Let's get the system corrected and then we can get on with fixing the other problems.
 
Sal
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Sorry, I did word it poorly. I guess I (the taxpayer) am as frustrated as the teacher. As hard as the teachers probably try, I can't see giving them more money to operate in a bogus system. Let's get the system corrected and then we can get on with fixing the other problems.

Fair enough.

So back to the issue of kids failing.

  1. Why do you think kids fail
  2. What do you see as the reasoning for holding them back with younger ones when our system lumps all kids together by age regardless of ability?
 
JLM
+2
#13  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

Fair enough.

So back to the issue of kids failing.

  1. Why do you think kids fail
  2. What do you see as the reasoning for holding them back with younger ones when our system lumps all kids together by age regardless of ability?


Lots of reasons for kids failing, the system is set up for each grade to take about 180 school days, but the kids have different rates of learning, might be the biggest. Teacher's incompetence might be another. Back in grade 10 I was in a math class comprised mainly (not me) of the brightest kids in the school. These were A and B students in every other subject. Out of a class of about 30 kids about 8 of us passed math that year, the highest mark being around 60%. The teacher spent about half the class time talking about his days in the army. He spent about 1/4 of class time denigrating students he perceived as being stupid. A third reason might be behavioural problems of some of the students. As for your second question they are NOT holding them back with the younger kids. Should we keep them together based on chronological age or mental age? I opt for the latter. I don't think the system of mixing kids with a 30 I.Q. with kids with 130 I.Q. works worth a damn.
 
gerryh
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

Fair enough.

So back to the issue of kids failing.

  1. Why do you think kids fail
  2. What do you see as the reasoning for holding them back with younger ones when our system lumps all kids together by age regardless of ability?


1- Majority of kids fail because the teachers are useless and are just putting in time to get their 60k plus per year.

2- The reasoning is because they failed. They didn't learn, or were not taught, enough to pass. Therefore they repeat the grade and pass the next time.


I've had 7 kids go through the school system, the BC school system, with my last 2 finishing in Alberta Catholic. The teachers in BC are the laziest, most entitled bunch I have ever had to deal with. A few have been good, the majority not so much. They really don't give a rats a$$ about the kids. It's all lip service.
 
Sal
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Lots of reasons for kids failing, the system is set up for each grade to take about 180 school days, but the kids have different rates of learning, might be the biggest. Teacher's incompetence might be another. Back in grade 10 I was in a math class comprised mainly (not me) of the brightest kids in the school. These were A and B students in every other subject. Out of a class of about 30 kids about 8 of us passed math that year, the highest mark being around 60%. The teacher spent about half the class time talking about his days in the army. He spent about 1/4 of class time denigrating students he perceived as being stupid. A third reason might be behavioural problems of some of the students. As for your second question they are NOT holding them back with the younger kids. Should we keep them together based on chronological age or mental age? I opt for the latter. I don't think the system of mixing kids with a 30 I.Q. with kids with 130 I.Q. works worth a damn.

agree that there are lots of reasons for kids to fail

only 8 out 30 of passing math class is interesting

sounds like you have a bad school experience

Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

1- Majority of kids fail because the teachers are useless and are just putting in time to get their 60k plus per year.

2- The reasoning is because they failed. They didn't learn, or were not taught, enough to pass. Therefore they repeat the grade and pass the next time.


I've had 7 kids go through the school system, the BC school system, with my last 2 finishing in Alberta Catholic. The teachers in BC are the laziest, most entitled bunch I have ever had to deal with. A few have been good, the majority not so much. They really don't give a rats a$$ about the kids. It's all lip service.

sounds like your kids did too....which would explain your feelings about the system and teachers in general
 
JamesBondo
#16
Like it or not, your dumb 10 year old will get push forward until they are in high school. AT which time they can choose to go wash dishes for a chinese restaurant if they still refuse to learn. As a parent, it is your job to repeat your lessons over and over with him. Others don't have to care so much about him.
 
damngrumpy
#17
Teachers operate within the confines of the system its likely the school board folks and the
department of education that would put the policy forward.
are you suggesting there is a conspiracy by all teachers to never fail anyone?
Tough to do to get everyone on side after all the statement says no one has failed.
I suggest you look a little higher for someone to blame.
Not unusual though Tim Horton's has a minor hockey league were they don't keep score
how useless is thatn?
 
JLM
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

Teachers operate within the confines of the system its likely the school board folks and the
department of education that would put the policy forward.
are you suggesting there is a conspiracy by all teachers to never fail anyone?
Tough to do to get everyone on side after all the statement says no one has failed.
I suggest you look a little higher for someone to blame.
Not unusual though Tim Horton's has a minor hockey league were they don't keep score
how useless is thatn?


It's the system I was finding fault with. It's a little different from a sports team. One is preparation for the big game of succeeding at life, the other's endeavour is for exercise and camaraderie.

Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

1- Majority of kids fail because the teachers are useless and are just putting in time to get their 60k plus per year.

2- The reasoning is because they failed. They didn't learn, or were not taught, enough to pass. Therefore they repeat the grade and pass the next time.


I've had 7 kids go through the school system, the BC school system, with my last 2 finishing in Alberta Catholic. The teachers in BC are the laziest, most entitled bunch I have ever had to deal with. A few have been good, the majority not so much. They really don't give a rats a$$ about the kids. It's all lip service.


Funny, funny, predictable old Ger. Most of the teachers are useless, opines Ger, but on the one or two occasions when I denigrated a technician for charging me like $80 to perform two minutes work, old Ger came down on my throat with his "number nine". There's good and professional people in all walks of life, Gerry, and likewise there are duds. They don't congregate in one profession. -
 
gerryh
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

It's the system I was finding fault with. It's a little different from a sports team. One is preparation for the big game of succeeding at life, the other's endeavour is for exercise and camaraderie.




Funny, funny, predictable old Ger. Most of the teachers are useless, opines Ger, but on the one or two occasions when I denigrated a technician for charging me like $80 to perform two minutes work, old Ger came down on my throat with his "number nine". There's good and professional people in all walks of life, Gerry, and likewise there are duds. They don't congregate in one profession. -


Teachers in bc are useless, teachers in Alberta are great. This crap of going on strike every 2 years has been happening for ages. 11 years in Alberta, no lost time for students the entire time.
Last edited by gerryh; Jun 6th, 2014 at 09:46 PM..
 
taxslave
+2
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

Fair enough.

So back to the issue of kids failing.

  1. Why do you think kids fail
  2. What do you see as the reasoning for holding them back with younger ones when our system lumps all kids together by age regardless of ability?

Political correctness. One must remember that the majority of those ruining our education system are or were teachers. It was these PC leftards that decided that giving out prizes to winners is a nono because it might hurt someone elses feelings.
When we were kids the failures did just that. FAILED. The really low marble counts had their own classes and didn't disturb the learners. Some of the smartest skipped a grade. Now the system is dumbed down to the LCD. This is especially bad for the gifted whose parents cannot aford private school.
 
JLM
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Political correctness. One must remember that the majority of those ruining our education system are or were teachers. It was these PC leftards that decided that giving out prizes to winners is a nono because it might hurt someone elses feelings.
When we were kids the failures did just that. FAILED. The really low marble counts had their own classes and didn't disturb the learners. Some of the smartest skipped a grade. Now the system is dumbed down to the LCD. This is especially bad for the gifted whose parents cannot aford private school.


You said it better than I could have, Taxslave. The mentality these days if you don't give every kid a star on his work assignment, the ones who don't get it will get pissed off and commit a few axe murders on their way home from school. - I.M.H.O. the most important thing you can teach a child is that disappointment strikes everyone at some point and they have to be able to contend with it.
 
gerryh
+2
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post


sounds like your kids did too....which would explain your feelings about the system and teachers in general


5 graduates, the 2 oldest didn't. Why? because they were pushed through instead of getting the help that they needed. Because the teachers didn't give a shyte. because they weren't "easy". Because the teachers would have to actually "work" at educating those 2. They'd have to figure out what was the best way to "teach" them. What did my wife and I get when we offered to tell the teacher what was the best way to handle our ADD/ADHD child? We were told that they, the teacher, was the expert and didn't need any of our advice. THEY had gone to school for teaching these types of kids. THEY knew ALL about it.

How did that same conversation go here in Alberta with our youngest who also had ADD? Thank you, we really appreciate all the help and insight you can give. We are here to help and do what ever is necessary for your child. BIG FU CKING DIFFERENCE!

Teachers in BC don't give a rats a$$.
Last edited by gerryh; Jun 6th, 2014 at 10:15 PM..Reason: fixed spelling errors
 
taxslave
+2
#23
But they do care about the $$$$$$$$$
 
JLM
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

5 graduates, the 2 oldest didn't. Why? because they were pushed through instead of getting the help that they needed. Because the teachers didn't give a shyte. because they weren't "easy". Because the teachers would have to actually "work" at educating those 2. They'd have to figure out what was the best way to "teach" them. What did my wife and I get when we offered to tell the teacher what was the best way to handle our ADD/ADHD child? We were told that they, the teacher, was the expert and didn't need any of our advice. THEY had gone to school for teaching these types of kids. THEY knew ALL about it.

How did that same conversation go here in Alberta with our youngest who also had ADD? Thank you, we really appreciate all the help and insight you can give. We are here to help and do what ever is necessary for your child. BIG FU CKING DIFFERENCE!

Teachers in BC don't give a rats a$$.


Do you really think you can categorize teachers by geography? Between my children and grandchildren, I've had experience with about eleven different schools and possibly 30 or 40 different teachers in 6 different locations around B.C. I would guess that probably 80% of our contacts have been positive (and I've had kids who could be obstreperous at times in their lives) - You just can't tar them all with the same brush!

Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

But they do care about the $$$$$$$$$


That's a common denominator of all workers.
 
gerryh
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Do you really think you can categorize teachers by geography? You just can't tar them all with the same brush!


I can when that is the experience I have had. Teachers in Surrey, Langley, Aldergrove, Abbostford, all the same. Teachers in Calgary Catholic, great.
 
JLM
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

I can when that is the experience I have had. Teachers in Surrey, Langley, Aldergrove, Abbostford, all the same. Teachers in Calgary Catholic, great.


How many of the schools in B.C. were Catholic? Haven't we heard a lot in the media about the short comings of Catholic schools right across Canada?
 
gerryh
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

How many of the schools in B.C. were Catholic? Haven't we heard a lot in the media about the short comings of Catholic schools right across Canada?


I couldn't afford Catholic Schools in BC. So none of them were. Actually, that's not true, we managed to put our second youngest into a Catholic elementary in Abbotsford for one year, that was all we could afford. Here in Alberta, Catholic Schools are not "private". Anyone can attend a Catholic School in Alberta.
 
darkbeaver
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

It was brought to my attention on Global News last night that no students in B.C. are ever failed under any circumstances! How does this bullsh*t prepare kids today for the realities of life? It's through our failures that we gain strength and ability to contend with adversity. Teachers want even more pay to perpetuate this bullsh*t - time to get real!

And they'll get it cuz keepin the little darlings in public school ruins them better, and that is important to the sleezy politicians who they will vote for in turn. Kids today don't even play outside, they've been educated
all right. Public skool was a Prussian suppressant developed by a Prussian nobelman who feared the spread of the written word who instituted they control mechanism limiting the spread of smarts among the common folk, right up into this century, it been a smashing success we actualy vote for our jailers.

Televison is a form of home scooling.

How many people watch reality TV instead of actual reality related activities. Entertain yourself, that's what booger discovery is for, your real entertainment. Scratch your bum a little, another popular real distraction.
The reason we're in an economic/moral/ethical/CO2 crisis situation must be blamed on public schools mustn't it?
 
Kreskin
#29
I was in elementary school in the 60's and don't remember any kid every being held back.

Thankfully kids these days learn relevant things. We only seemed to taught about Mesopotamia and Shakespeare.

T'wer thou glangst o'er land thy plith. O' cometh we clast do'r Tigris stead Euphrates alonged.
 
taxslave
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

I was in elementary school in the 60's and don't remember any kid every being held back.

Thankfully kids these days learn relevant things. We only seemed to taught about Mesopotamia and Shakespeare.

T'wer thou glangst o'er land thy plith. O' cometh we clast do'r Tigris stead Euphrates alonged.

I remember several failing in grade one . That would be 1961. also people failed courses in highschool although because of the way the school was set up you had options on which year you took some courses so it would have been difficult to fail a year.
 
no new posts