School children in B.C. never failed.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It was brought to my attention on Global News last night that no students in B.C. are ever failed under any circumstances! How does this bullsh*t prepare kids today for the realities of life? It's through our failures that we gain strength and ability to contend with adversity. Teachers want even more pay to perpetuate this bullsh*t - time to get real!

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
Having a 10 year old in with my 7 year old is absolute Bull****. Push him upward and outward. If he lacks training and education as an adult then let him pay out the dime for that.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Having a 10 year old in with my 7 year old is absolute Bull****. Push him upward and outward. If he lacks training and education as an adult then let him pay out the dime for that.

"Utopia" sits on a very flimsy framework located right above the Sh*t house. -:)

How's he going to get the "dime"? Oh I get it off us enterprising types who are able to earn the dime! -:)

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
It was brought to my attention on Global News last night that no students in B.C. are ever failed under any circumstances! How does this bullsh*t prepare kids today for the realities of life? It's through our failures that we gain strength and ability to contend with adversity. Teachers want even more pay to perpetuate this bullsh*t - time to get real!
I ask you why is this the fault of teachers. Explain to me what the fuk a teacher has to do with this?

"Utopia" sits on a very flimsy framework located right above the Sh*t house. -:)

How's he going to get the "dime"? Oh I get it off us enterprising types who are able to earn the dime! -:)
could you explain this in English?

thanks

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I ask you why is this the fault of teachers. Explain to me what the fuk a teacher has to do with this?

thanks

Oh, perhaps I'm mistaken but I've been under the impression that it is the teacher's job to teach kids so they could pass the exam! How's that for English?

thanks

I was just responding with the metaphors provided by Walter and James! -:) Thought perhaps they would better understand my replies!

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
Oh, perhaps I'm mistaken but I've been under the impression that it is the teacher's job to teach kids so they could pass the exam! How's that for English?

I was just responding with the metaphors provided by Walter and James! -:) Thought perhaps they would better understand my replies!

I would agree that sounds like a great job for our teachers. However, the 10 year old had his chance, and now it is my son's turn. While the system may have failed him, it is not a good enough reason for the system to fail my son too because they are burning up their resources on a failure like the 10 year ols.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

you are mistaken. Get over your impression.

Teachers teach the curriculum as best they can with a thousand fuking interruptions per day from entitled parents, grandparents, principals and every other top official who imposes their expert knowledge into the equation. Everybody is an expert.... but they are not...they don't have a clue how things work on a daily basis or what is involved but they sure are quick to judge.

You have 30 kids in a room, IQs ranging from waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay below average to waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay above average. You have to get through a sh*t load of material and the majority of kids have to understand it.

I am not a teacher, but they are always the target.... they are not responsible for how passing or failing is handled... you don't like it get involved.... you want to blame find out who is responsible

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
you are mistaken. Get over your impression.

Teachers teach the curriculum as best they can with a thousand fuking interruptions per day from entitled parents, grandparents, principals and every other top official who imposes their expert knowledge into the equation. Everybody is an expert.... but they are not...they don't have a clue how things work on a daily basis or what is involved but they sure are quick to judge.

You have 30 kids in a room, IQs ranging from waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay below average to waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay above average. You have to get through a sh*t load of material and the majority of kids have to understand it.

I am not a teacher, but they are always the target.... they are not responsible for how passing or failing is handled... you don't like it get involved.... you want to blame find out who is responsible

You sound like you have an opinion!-:) Whose job is it to teach the kids? I guess I've been under the wrong impression for 60+ years.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
You sound like you have an opinion!-:) Whose job is it to teach the kids? I guess I've been under the wrong impression for 60+ years.
their success at teaching was not the OP...your OP was on children's failure and blaming the teachers because children were pushed forward... no? and somehow you felt this displayed their inadequacies at their job and that they were undeserving of their pay

you linked the teachers and their pay to this and called "bullsh*t"(your words, not mine)
I say one has nothing to do with the other and that linking them together is unfair and irrelevant not to mention misinformed.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
their success at teaching was not the OP...your OP was on children's failure and blaming the teachers because children were pushed forward... no? and somehow you felt this displayed their inadequacies at their job and that they were undeserving of their pay

you linked the teachers and their pay to this and called "bullsh*t"(your words, not mine)
I say one has nothing to do with the other and that linking them together is unfair and irrelevant not to mention misinformed.

Sorry, I did word it poorly. I guess I (the taxpayer) am as frustrated as the teacher. As hard as the teachers probably try, I can't see giving them more money to operate in a bogus system. Let's get the system corrected and then we can get on with fixing the other problems.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Sorry, I did word it poorly. I guess I (the taxpayer) am as frustrated as the teacher. As hard as the teachers probably try, I can't see giving them more money to operate in a bogus system. Let's get the system corrected and then we can get on with fixing the other problems.
Fair enough.

So back to the issue of kids failing.

1. Why do you think kids fail
  2. What do you see as the reasoning for holding them back with younger ones when our system lumps all kids together by age regardless of ability?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Fair enough.

2. What do you see as the reasoning for holding them back with younger ones when our system lumps all kids together by age regardless of ability?

Lots of reasons for kids failing, the system is set up for each grade to take about 180 school days, but the kids have different rates of learning, might be the biggest. Teacher's incompetence might be another. Back in grade 10 I was in a math class comprised mainly (not me) of the brightest kids in the school. These were A and B students in every other subject. Out of a class of about 30 kids about 8 of us passed math that year, the highest mark being around 60%. The teacher spent about half the class time talking about his days in the army. He spent about 1/4 of class time denigrating students he perceived as being stupid. A third reason might be behavioural problems of some of the students. As for your second question they are NOT holding them back with the younger kids. Should we keep them together based on chronological age or mental age? I opt for the latter. I don't think the system of mixing kids with a 30 I.Q. with kids with 130 I.Q. works worth a damn.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Fair enough.

1- Majority of kids fail because the teachers are useless and are just putting in time to get their 60k plus per year.

2- The reasoning is because they failed. They didn't learn, or were not taught, enough to pass. Therefore they repeat the grade and pass the next time.

I've had 7 kids go through the school system, the BC school system, with my last 2 finishing in Alberta Catholic. The teachers in BC are the laziest, most entitled bunch I have ever had to deal with. A few have been good, the majority not so much. They really don't give a rats a$$ about the kids. It's all lip service.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Lots of reasons for kids failing, the system is set up for each grade to take about 180 school days, but the kids have different rates of learning, might be the biggest. Teacher's incompetence might be another. Back in grade 10 I was in a math class comprised mainly (not me) of the brightest kids in the school. These were A and B students in every other subject. Out of a class of about 30 kids about 8 of us passed math that year, the highest mark being around 60%. The teacher spent about half the class time talking about his days in the army. He spent about 1/4 of class time denigrating students he perceived as being stupid. A third reason might be behavioural problems of some of the students. As for your second question they are NOT holding them back with the younger kids. Should we keep them together based on chronological age or mental age? I opt for the latter. I don't think the system of mixing kids with a 30 I.Q. with kids with 130 I.Q. works worth a damn.

agree that there are lots of reasons for kids to fail

only 8 out 30 of passing math class is interesting

sounds like you have a bad school experience

1- Majority of kids fail because the teachers are useless and are just putting in time to get their 60k plus per year.

2- The reasoning is because they failed. They didn't learn, or were not taught, enough to pass. Therefore they repeat the grade and pass the next time.

I've had 7 kids go through the school system, the BC school system, with my last 2 finishing in Alberta Catholic. The teachers in BC are the laziest, most entitled bunch I have ever had to deal with. A few have been good, the majority not so much. They really don't give a rats a$$ about the kids. It's all lip service.

sounds like your kids did too....which would explain your feelings about the system and teachers in general

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
Like it or not, your dumb 10 year old will get push forward until they are in high school. AT which time they can choose to go wash dishes for a chinese restaurant if they still refuse to learn. As a parent, it is your job to repeat your lessons over and over with him. Others don't have to care so much about him.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Teachers operate within the confines of the system its likely the school board folks and the
department of education that would put the policy forward.
are you suggesting there is a conspiracy by all teachers to never fail anyone?
Tough to do to get everyone on side after all the statement says no one has failed.
I suggest you look a little higher for someone to blame.
Not unusual though Tim Horton's has a minor hockey league were they don't keep score
how useless is thatn?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Teachers operate within the confines of the system its likely the school board folks and the
department of education that would put the policy forward.
are you suggesting there is a conspiracy by all teachers to never fail anyone?
Tough to do to get everyone on side after all the statement says no one has failed.
I suggest you look a little higher for someone to blame.
Not unusual though Tim Horton's has a minor hockey league were they don't keep score
how useless is thatn?

It's the system I was finding fault with. It's a little different from a sports team. One is preparation for the big game of succeeding at life, the other's endeavour is for exercise and camaraderie.

Funny, funny, predictable old Ger. Most of the teachers are useless, opines Ger, but on the one or two occasions when I denigrated a technician for charging me like $80 to perform two minutes work, old Ger came down on my throat with his "number nine". There's good and professional people in all walks of life, Gerry, and likewise there are duds. They don't congregate in one profession. -:)

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
It's the system I was finding fault with. It's a little different from a sports team. One is preparation for the big game of succeeding at life, the other's endeavour is for exercise and camaraderie.

Funny, funny, predictable old Ger. Most of the teachers are useless, opines Ger, but on the one or two occasions when I denigrated a technician for charging me like $80 to perform two minutes work, old Ger came down on my throat with his "number nine". There's good and professional people in all walks of life, Gerry, and likewise there are duds. They don't congregate in one profession. -:)

Teachers in bc are useless, teachers in Alberta are great. This crap of going on strike every 2 years has been happening for ages. 11 years in Alberta, no lost time for students the entire time.

Last edited:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Fair enough.

Political correctness. One must remember that the majority of those ruining our education system are or were teachers. It was these PC leftards that decided that giving out prizes to winners is a nono because it might hurt someone elses feelings.
When we were kids the failures did just that. FAILED. The really low marble counts had their own classes and didn't disturb the learners. Some of the smartest skipped a grade. Now the system is dumbed down to the LCD. This is especially bad for the gifted whose parents cannot aford private school.