LA Clippers to be sold to crazier, whiter, owner.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Nothing like a guy who is out of shape jumping around on stage
This is what the clippers might be reduced to. Oh well likely an
improvement over what they have, Maybe the team could go
back to Seattle

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
I guess as long as Ballsy knows the right time to shut up. he'll be okay....

They should give him court side seats for every game so he can do this dance every time the Clippers score.

Him and Mark Cuban can bare-knuckle box at every Mavs/Clippers game to determine who gets to hold the title as the most obnoxious owner.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
They should give him court side seats for every game so he can do this dance every time the Clippers score.

Him and Mark Cuban can bare-knuckle box at every Mavs/Clippers game to determine who gets to hold the title as the most obnoxious owner.
The way he was huffing and puffing in the scope of that trailer, I doubt he'd last a period without trying out a set of paddles....

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
The way he was huffing and puffing in the scope of that trailer, I doubt he'd last a period without trying out a set of paddles....

If he has 2 billion to spend on this team, he can probably afford a new heart or two if need be.

BTW, I wonder if this is causing Forbes any embarrassment, since they had the team listed at 575 million. I know Balmy overpaid for this, but do you really think he spent 4 times market value?

The Business Of Basketball - Forbes

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
In all honesty, I'm now wondering whether the NBA has done the right thing by mandating a sale since it was reported on our local sports channel that sterling is mentally incapacitated. Don't know if this is true. But if he is then his unwise words could well be attributable to illness, not malice. On that basis maybe the league might allow his family to keep the team and dismiss the bad words as those of a sick, not bad, man. Well, for $2 B I'd gladly sell it but you have to wonder about the family's legacy.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
In all honesty, I'm now wondering whether the NBA has done the right thing by mandating a sale since it was reported on our local sports channel that sterling is mentally incapacitated. Don't know if this is true. But if he is then his unwise words could well be attributable to illness, not malice. On that basis maybe the league might allow his family to keep the team and dismiss the bad words as those of a sick, not bad, man. Well, for $2 B I'd gladly sell it but you have to wonder about the family's legacy.

I did hear reports that he was declared unable to make decisions around this, but I don't know how accurate those are. Apparently he is fighting that.

Regardless, if he isn't fit to run the team, he shouldn't run the team. The league approved him as the owner, not his family. If he isn't fit to run the team, they are more than within their rights to move on to the next best person. Selling the team for 2 billion certainly isn't the worst punishment in the world.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I had also heard that the valuation had been redeclared at around 1.3B before this offer. One of the issues was forcing the sale and subsequent tax liability. It sounds to me like this offer may have been raised to eat his tax liability if sold at 1.3.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
LA Clippers to be sold to crazier, whiter, owner

What does the colour of his skin matter?

And why is everybody getting worked up about whatever story this is about? It's BASKETBALL, for crying out loud, just a group of silly men bouncing a ball around a sports centre and dropping it into a fishing net.

In fact, I'd rather watch the angling championships that they show on Sky Sports every year.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I had also heard that the valuation had been redeclared at around 1.3B before this offer. One of the issues was forcing the sale and subsequent tax liability. It sounds to me like this offer may have been raised to eat his tax liability if sold at 1.3.
All NBA owners are now licking their chops because if the Clippers, a pee-poor team at best over the years, are worth 2B What does that make the Celtics or the Knicks worth. NBA owners need to be watching their backs.

The OP poster is a racist, that's why.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Ironically this situation has multiple rich guys who will do just about anything not to have two billion dollars.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
All NBA owners are now licking their chops because if the Clippers, a pee-poor team at best over the years, are worth 2B What does that make the Celtics or the Knicks worth. NBA owners need to be watching their backs.

The OP poster is a racist, that's why.
Rise up, Walter, rise up! End the long oppression of your people! To arms! To arms!

No? OK.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Rise up, Walter, rise up! End the long oppression of your people! To arms! To arms!

No? OK.

You think the colour of the owner's skin matters? Would you rather have an affirmative action marketplace? You would like to sell your BMW but must sell it to a black woman for 1/2 its value because there are too many white men driving BMWs.

The colour of the new owner's skin is irrelevant. But since it is being brought up, the OP must be thinking along racial lines.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
You think the colour of the owner's skin matters? Would you rather have an affirmative action marketplace? You would like to sell your BMW but must sell it to a black woman for 1/2 its value because there are too many white men driving BMWs.
Umm. . . where in the post you quote did I say one word about the owner's skin?

The colour of the new owner's skin is irrelevant. But since it is being brought up, the OP must be thinking along racial lines.
Yes, I'm sure you'd much rather believe the issue of race is done and dusted in the U.S. and Canada.

I hope this helps you clarify, because most of your observations seemed to be directed at something going round in your head rather than in my post.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Sterling would be a fool not to take the offer.

It's at least twice what the most generous evaluation of the net worth of Clippers would appraise. It's 4 times the price of the last NBA transfer at $550M for the Milwaukee Bucks, this year. It is 6 times the price paid for the Seattle Sonics in 2006 at $350M (for which Ballmer also bid).

There is no way to justify this run up in prices.. EXCEPT you have this emergence of a class of Super Rich.. grotesquely wealthy individuals who have cashed in on stock options and IPOs on a vastly inflated equities market. On which they are taxed at a fraction of the rate applied to honest labour.. as the 'Free' Market dictates.

Having lost all sense of the value of money, in fact, having more that they know what to do with.. they spend their billions on toys... while the rest of the population struggles with foreclosure, unemployment or underemployment, poverty and desperation that this economic model has imposed on everyone else.

We've essentially seen the establishment of 2 economies.. one for people like Ballmer and Sterling.. and one for everyone else.

Last edited:

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Sterling would be a fool not to take the offer.

It's at least twice what the most generous evaluation of the net worth of Clippers would appraise. It's 4 times the price of the last NBA transfer at $550M for the Milwaukee Bucks, this year. It is 6 times the price paid for the Seattle Sonics in 2006 at $350M (for which Ballmer also bid).

I think that this whole incident pumped up the value. All of a sudden you had all of these rich guys dreaming of riding in on a white horse and being the team's saviour. It would have bid up the value a lot more than if it had been done in the normal fashion.

You tell me. You seem to have lots of theories on that in your other threads about what is destroying the UK. :)

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I did hear reports that he was declared unable to make decisions around this, but I don't know how accurate those are. Apparently he is fighting that.

Regardless, if he isn't fit to run the team, he shouldn't run the team. The league approved him as the owner, not his family. If he isn't fit to run the team, they are more than within their rights to move on to the next best person. Selling the team for 2 billion certainly isn't the worst punishment in the world.

The league could just as easily have mandated that he transfer title to his wife or offspring. This way the family legacy could have remained intact. It is sad that a lifelong legacy of public beneficence should be destroyed by unwise words made by someone who lacked the mental capacity to understand the harm he was causing. Well, whatever. The league has made its choice and we will all have to live with it.