Vaccinations are 'proven to work': Melinda Gates, Stephen Harper

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
There's been a good series on TVO lately on this subject.

Videos can be watched at the link.........

The Black Death wiped out close to a quarter of the world's population. Even our familiar foe 'the flu' was one of the deadliest infectious diseases of the twentieth century. Fighting these killers is an ongoing battle, as each infection adapts to outwit our defences. Ancient treatments ranged from using leeches to suck out blood to performing strange magical rituals, but nothing stopped the infection - until we discovered antibiotics. The average person now takes two courses of antibiotics every year. In the war against infection, we've begun to harness science to fight back, developing 'magic bullets' designed to kill specific infections without harming the body's own cells. Yet even as we're discovering new uses for antibiotics, the original infections are developing new drug-resistant strains.

Pain, Pus and Poison | TVO

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Vaccinations save lives - the lives of your children and those who come in contact with your children. Vaccinations should be mandatory.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
The reason people don't get vaccinated is the same reason people deny climate change. They don't believe the scientists, and the more outsiders try to tell them that teh scientists are right, the more they are disinclined to believe in vaccinations.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
The reason people don't get vaccinated is the same reason people deny climate change. They don't believe the scientists, and the more outsiders try to tell them that teh scientists are right, the more they are disinclined to believe in vaccinations.

They also like to believe movie stars and people who are famous for things other then scientific education and training.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
They also like to believe movie stars and people who are famous for things other then scientific education and training.

Don't sell them short. Jenny McCarthy was published in one of the world's most prominent journals of anatomy.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Don't sell them short. Jenny McCarthy was published in one of the world's most prominent journals of anatomy.

Nothing wrong with her anatomy...it's her brain that seems to believe her fame and her intelligence are one and the same as do those who took her words as wisdom

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Measles Cases In The US Reach 20-Year High | I ****ing Love Science
Between January 1 and May 23 of this year, 288 cases of measles in the U.S. were reported to the CDC, making it the largest number of reported cases within the first 5 months of the year since 1994. Why are we seeing this surge in measles? According to the CDC, it’s mostly because of international travel by unvaccinated individuals. 97% of the cases so far were so called “importations”, where individuals have caught the disease from another country and brought it back. Furthermore, 90% of the infected individuals were either unvaccinated or did not know their vaccination status. 85% of the unvaccinated individuals said that they remained unvaccinated because of personal, philosophical or religious reasons.​

Looks like they're starting to figure it out elsewhere:
New vaccinations required for Maryland students when school year begins - The Washington Post
New vaccinations will be required for Maryland students entering kindergarten and seventh grade when the new school year starts in August, health officials said this week.

Children starting kindergarten must have two chicken pox vaccinations, rather than one, and students headed into seventh grade need Tdap (tetanus-diphtheria-attenuated pertussis) and meningococcal vaccinations, officials said.​

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
One possible answer is we have been lied to by BIG PHARMA once too often.
Exactly right.

how does one know when or if scientists who present certain conclusions as fact are attached to big pharmaceuticals or if it is pure and true research done for humanity

is there a single profession left that has not sold out?

no

there are only individuals within these groups who have not and oft times they are scorned and made to look foolish

an example of this is the recent thought surfacing about low fat food and what it may actually being doing to our bodies (making us fat)

how does an individual know? we have to rely on "experts" but experts are attached to money making machines

always follow the money trail...

stats can easily be manipulated to lean in the direction one wishes

we get mislead daily why would we trust anyone, there is always an agenda

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Vaccinations save lives - the lives of your children and those who come in contact with your children. Vaccinations should be mandatory.
They are, try and send yer kid to skool without being vaccinated.

The ones not getting vaccinated are the biggest proponents of man-made climate change.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
They are, try and send yer kid to skool without being vaccinated.
well, yes and no...if you can prove that it violates your rights you can be exempted

on the immunization card there is a section which can be signed off explaining why you are refusing

otherwise the kid is suspended until the card is updated (meaning shots have been received)

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
well, yes and no...if you can prove that it violates your rights you can be exempted

on the immunization card there is a section which can be signed off explaining why you are refusing

otherwise the kid is suspended until the card is updated (meaning shots have been received)
So, in other words, yes.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The part that boggles my mind when it comes to those who are opposed to "Big Pharma" or conventional medical science is the prevalence towards making it a strict either/or scenario. A 'you're either with us or you're with the terrorists' kind of mindset. Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with questioning 'conventional' wisdom, in fact we should question it, it's the only way we move forward. But to categorically label all 'western medicine and science' as evil, which seems to be what most are doing, seems short sighted to me. Because I read all this stuff, how drug companies and science are all about spinning the truth, taking your money and not producing, (and it all has the flavour of "conspiracy theory" to me) and what springs to my mind is 'What about AIDS and HIV?'. Yes, there are still some aggressive strains out there, yes education and behaviour have had an impact in reducing diagnosis of those with HIV. But bottom line to me, 25-30 years ago, contracting HIV was a for certain death sentence, today it is a manageable condition with the proper medical treatments. Maybe that's too simplistic, I'm not a 'science minded' individual but as far as anecdotal evidence goes, I'd say it's pretty compelling.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
The part that boggles my mind when it comes to those who are opposed to "Big Pharma" or conventional medical science is the prevalence towards making it a strict either/or scenario. A 'you're either with us or you're with the terrorists' kind of mindset. Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with questioning 'conventional' wisdom, in fact we should question it, it's the only way we move forward. But to categorically label all 'western medicine and science' as evil, which seems to be what most are doing, seems short sighted to me. Because I read all this stuff, how drug companies and science are all about spinning the truth, taking your money and not producing, (and it all has the flavour of "conspiracy theory" to me) and what springs to my mind is 'What about AIDS and HIV?'. Yes, there are still some aggressive strains out there, yes education and behaviour have had an impact in reducing diagnosis of those with HIV. But bottom line to me, 25-30 years ago, contracting HIV was a for certain death sentence, today it is a manageable condition with the proper medical treatments. Maybe that's too simplistic, I'm not a 'science minded' individual but as far as anecdotal evidence goes, I'd say it's pretty compelling.
but it is the same with anything, you like a balanced approach slide one way for one thing and another for something else...many are not that way...for them it's all or nothing

it's a mind set

I'm left, I'm right

often those most balanced are called fence sitters and regarded by both ends as less than nothing

it's always perspective...some people never move to change the angle of their view they see the tail of the elephant but never the trunk or sides

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
but it is the same with anything, you like a balanced approach slide one way for one thing and another for something else...many are not that way...for them it's all or nothing

it's a mind set

I'm left, I'm right

often those most balanced are called fence sitters and regarded by both ends as less than nothing

it's always perspective...some people never move to change the angle of their view they see the tail of the elephant but never the trunk or sides

I think it's more than simply preference, it limits understanding. Not being willing to accept certain answers, in other words going in with your mind made up, is limiting. And for how you want to live your individual life, that's fine. Happy trails I'd say.

But when the topic is something like vaccinations and leaving your children unvaccinated, the threat to the health and well being of others is very, very real.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Which is all BIGPHARMA really wants. To manage a desease. Acured patient is no longer a revenue stream.