Striking teachers get pay docked!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Striking B.C. teachers fight lockout pay cut at LRB - British Columbia - CBC News

W.T.F. would anyone expect to be paid for not working? It looks to me like neither side really wants a resolution! "Special needs" kids in the classroom are nothing new, there were at least half a dozen of them in every class when I went to school, they were just all lumped together under one classification that wasn't quite as flattering!

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
There's definitely a few like that but they are the minority. I worked with a few I had to keep lined up with a stump to see if they moved!-:)

You worked mostly with outside people. My experience has mostly been with inside ones mainly dealing with forestry and environmet when I was logging and for a period as a mechanic for the air farce. Most of those people have a phobia about moving or thinking. OTH any time I have gone into service BC I have been very impressed with both the knowledge and attitude of the front line staff.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Striking B.C. teachers fight lockout pay cut at LRB - British Columbia - CBC News

W.T.F. would anyone expect to be paid for not working? It looks to me like neither side really wants a resolution! "Special needs" kids in the classroom are nothing new, there were at least half a dozen of them in every class when I went to school, they were just all lumped together under one classification that wasn't quite as flattering!
the teachers find the situation, outwageous. ;)

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
It is a real shame that they can't just fire those slackers, and hire a bunch of bright, young college graduates that actually want to teach.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Did anyone bother to read the article?

The teachers are not paid at all if they are on strike. The issue is that the government is locking out teachers who are not on strike and docking their wages.

You probably would be pretty pissed if you showed up to work and your boss just said that they were going to dock your pay 10% for the day.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Did anyone bother to read the article?

The teachers are not paid at all if they are on strike. The issue is that the government is locking out teachers who are not on strike and docking their wages.

You probably would be pretty pissed if you showed up to work and your boss just said that they were going to dock your pay 10% for the day.

There's fault on both sides, it's not just the teachers, for one thing the Gov't is offering bribes to settle- in most walks of life that is criminal. Why should the taxpayer have to fork over bribe money especially when he/she was never asked? I think the rationale behind the 10% dockage is that teachers are only performing compulsory duties when they are working. Sounds O.K. to me. But it doesn't matter a rat's @$$ what I think, the two sides have to figure out some way of meeting in the middle. They can do it now and save a whole pile of hassle or wait until it's mediated.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
There's fault on both sides, it's not just the teachers, for one thing the Gov't is offering bribes to settle- in most walks of life that is criminal. Why should the taxpayer have to fork over bribe money especially when he/she was never asked? I think the rationale behind the 10% dockage is that teachers are only performing compulsory duties when they are working. Sounds O.K. to me. But it doesn't matter a rat's @$$ what I think, the two sides have to figure out some way of meeting in the middle. They can do it now and save a whole pile of hassle or wait until it's mediated.

The reason for the lock out, is because the teachers started rotating one day strikes to go along with their "work to rule" action. The Government warned them that if they started rotating one day strikes then they would be locked out. It was the teachers choice to carry on with the rotating strike, so it should have come as no surprise that they were locked out. It was their choice.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013

The teachers are doing exactly what they are paid to do. Why would the government have right to dock their pay when they are doing their job.

We already went over this bribe thing though. Paying someone for their services is not a bribe.

The reason for the lock out, is because the teachers started rotating one day strikes to go along with their "work to rule" action. The Government warned them that if they started rotating one day strikes then they would be locked out. It was the teachers choice to carry on with the rotating strike, so it should have come as no surprise that they were locked out. It was their choice.

It is also the government's choice to do this. Everyone in this thread seems 100% against the teachers when this is all about an action that the government has taken.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I think one problem is they have the wrong guy for Minister of Education, he comes across to me as guy who wants to "steam roll" his idea of compromise, and of course the teachers want smaller classes, different make up of classes and more money, they have to make up their minds which is most important and go for that. If the employee is going to dictate the wage then the employer should be able to dictate the work and vice versa. Just bring in Vince Ready and the whole issue will be solved in a week.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
I think one problem is they have the wrong guy for Minister of Education, he comes across to me as guy who wants to "steam roll" his idea of compromise, and of course the teachers want smaller classes, different make up of classes and more money, they have to make up their minds which is most important and go for that. If the employee is going to dictate the wage then the employer should be able to dictate the work and vice versa. Just bring in Vince Ready and the whole issue will be solved in a week.

They are not making it easy on themselves by trying to go for such long term deals. If it is only a few years, it is easier to sell the idea of focusing on one thing now and dealing with other things next time around. If they want them to sign on for 6+ years, they pretty much have to settle all grievances now.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
. Paying someone for their services is not a bribe.

This isn't money that's paid for services, it's money promised to the teachers if they settle on a contract before June 28. A bribe is exactly what it is. They call it a "signing bonus". The taxpayer shouldn't be burdened with that sh*t!

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
This isn't money that's paid for services, it's money promised to the teachers if they settle on a contract before June 28. A bribe is exactly what it is. They call it a "signing bonus". The taxpayer shouldn't be burdened with that sh*t!

It is just part of their compensation for the period of the contract.

Putting a sunset date on offers is a very common negotiating tactic.

Exactly how pay is structured is not really an issue. As a taxpayer I just want them to get the best overall deal.

If they can avoid putting other more costly things in the contract and get the deal done faster by structuring the deal in this way, isn't that a win for the taxpayers?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It is just part of their compensation for the period of the contract.

Putting a sunset date on offers is a very common negotiating tactic.

Exactly how pay is structured is not really an issue. As a taxpayer I just want them to get the best overall deal.

If they can avoid putting other more costly things in the contract and get the deal done faster by structuring the deal in this way, isn't that a win for the taxpayers?

Yeah, "tactic" is the right word, that doesn't mean there is anything reputable or honorable about it! -:)

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Yeah, "tactic" is the right word, that doesn't mean there is anything reputable or honorable about it! -:)

There is nothing disreputable or dishonorable about being paid for your work.

You are obsessed with how the pay is structured, but isn't the real issue how much it actually costs you overall?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
There is nothing disreputable or dishonorable about being paid for your work.

You are obsessed with how the pay is structured, but isn't the real issue how much it actually costs you overall?

Well, you obviously have the issues confused. I think most people want to see teachers get paid appropriately for what they do, but that doesn't include succumbing to bribes. When you have a job building widgets I would think your pay would be based on the number and quality of the widgets you build! Why complicate the issue?

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
Nurses and doctors do their professional development without closing hospitals. Someone should mention this to the elementary schools.