The word "girl" not acceptable anymore?.........

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
BBC Ban The Use of The Word 'Girl', But Is It A Sexist Term?

When we're at school, we expect to be described as 'girls' - but is the term an acceptable way to address adult women?
The BBC took the decision to censor the word 'girl' in a recent broadcast on the grounds that it could be considered sexist.
Presenter Mark Beaumont was being filmed sparring with judo champion Cynthia Rahming and after he was sent crashing to the floor, he said: “I am not sure I can live that down - being beaten by a 19-year-old girl.”

When the episode of The Queen's Baton Relay was originally aired in April on the BBC News channel, the remark was broadcast in full.

More: BBC Ban The Use of The Word 'Girl', But Is It A Sexist Term?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
BBC Ban The Use of The Word 'Girl', But Is It A Sexist Term?

Bitch, please! Lol

Wonder how they're going to refer to non-adults of the female persuasion now. Little women? Bah, that's sounds even worse, it sounds condescending.

Grand scheme of things, molehill into mountain, yet again. :roll:

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Bitch, please! Lol

Wonder how they're going to refer to non-adults of the female persuasion now. Little women? Bah, that's sounds even worse, it sounds condescending.

Grand scheme of things, molehill into mountain, yet again. :roll:

Prepubescent human entities, non male.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
You might he right on that. Boys would be phems...that could cause some problems

Maybe instead of inventing new words when we have perfectly good ones just lying around, we should instead look at things like context and intent. That's just my thought on the whole thing.

I've witnessed people who use the most inoffensive words say some of the most condescending things, lol. The problems aren't with the words it's with the people on both the speaking and listening ends of things.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
So I guess that also means we older folk can't call any males under 30 "Boys?"

What about "Girly Girl?" Can't say that anymore either?

What if I was beaten in a Judo competition by a "Little Person?" Can't say "I got beaten by a midget" anymore?

Seriously though... saying girl to an adult woman is "Sexist" now?

Grow the fk up and maybe you won't be called a girl anymore.

Same applies to "boys" who think they're king sh*ts and know everything whom just got out of college.

In the context of the OP, he got beaten by an experienced judo champion and said “I am not sure I can live that down - being beaten by a 19-year-old girl.”

That's more of a jab at himself than it is to her

From the above report:
Rahming told The Mail on Sunday that she "wasn't offended" by the exchange,....

Case closed..... oh but wait, it's not. Some Feminist Extremist Dou*he'baggery is afoot:

.... but it seems a lot of other women wouldn't have been quite so forgiving.

Lecturer in literature and public engagement and HuffPost UK Blogger B.J. Epstein does not think that women should be referred to as 'girls'.

"I really dislike the word girl! I think it’s appropriate to use it to refer to females up until, say, the age of 11 or 12, but not after that.

Fer fk sakes, so she gets to choose when it's appropriate? I know a lot of people who still consider toddlers as babies.... anybody under the age of 18 (and even up to age 23) I will refer to as a "Kid" or "Boy" or "Girl" depending on their attitude and the situation.

"I find it offensive when people refer to young women or adult females as “girls” because it diminishes who and what we are, and makes us seem young and unimportant," she said.

Huh? Being Young or Young Looking is a bad thing now?

Young people aren't important or can do important things?

Now who's being offensive??

Epstein also highlighted the different ways men and women are addressed:

"I would never refer to colleagues as “boys”, nor would I call grown men “boys”, and yet people, especially men, continually do this to me and to other women.

She's got the blinders on, that's for sure.

Hell, Justin Trudeau is 42 years old and yet many still call him a kid or a boy.

A few years back I was in a bar having some vodka and a girl started to talk to me, so we got into a conversation. She was in University studying psychology and apparently wanted to try her skills on me after a bit. She asked how old I was and at the time I was 23. She laughed and said "Oh jeez, you're still a kid."

I asked her how old she was and she was 26..... ffs, really? I'm the kid huh?

I'm a graphic designer in a photography studio with a paying full time job and she's the one still in school. I let it slide and kept mature, just continuing the conversation, but then she started to try the probing and brain tests. Me already being a little drunk, she must have thought that would have been an easy task.

She assumed I still wasn't doing my "Dream Job" or finally settled down, etc..... which I responded, "Being 23 years of age, let alone being in your 20's, that's a general statement that could apply to anybody including yourself."

Eventually I wished her well hoped she had a good night and continued on with my own night. Later on the dance floor I saw her slowly grooving her way towards me, realizing I wasn't your typical "Boy" trying to pick her up as she didn't phase me with her analysis.

.... But I was too drunk by that time and figured I'd grab the last bus home for the night.

Point being, even though this lady doesn't call other males "Boys" or "Kids" that doesn't automatically mean it doesn't happen.

"I don’t think we need to ban the usage of the word, as it is appropriate for some people in some situations. But I do think we need to encourage mindfulness about language in general, and the employment of this word specifically."

How about you grow up, grow a thicker skin and worry about more serious issues?

Talk about "1st World" problems....

Last edited:

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I use the term 'Miss' when addressing a lot of women.

I think I'm supposed to 'feel bad' about that now.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

No, no. "Miss" is more than acceptable, particularly when addressing a woman who is clearly not a 'Miss'. Just remember to keep the sarcasm out of your voice. (Pro tip for ya there darlin')

"Ma'am" should only be used with the right amount of respect in your tone or, in the right circumstances, fear.

Keep those straight, you're golden. ;)

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State

France considered dropping the term mademoiselle ("Miss") but reconsidered it so that the term is used in the French Open tennis. BBC uses the term boys or lads for soccer so the word girl is ok as well.