US man gets life in prison for tossing 2-year-old daughter in car seat into creek

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
US man gets life in prison for tossing 2-year-old daughter in car seat into creek

By Wayne Parry, The Associated Press | The Canadian Press – 7 hours ago

FREEHOLD, N.J. - A U.S. man who tossed his 2-year-old daughter into a creek while she was strapped into her car seat apologized Wednesday — but not for murdering the child. Instead, just before he was sentenced to spend the rest of his life in prison, Arthur Morgan III apologized to the child's mother for the breakdown of their relationship.
"I want to say I'm sorry for the deterioration of what I thought was a beautiful friendship between the two of us that blossomed into a daughter," Morgan told Imani Benton. "For anybody that was truly affected by this, I hope we can all heal from this situation, knowing Tierra is in a better place."
Given the chance to explain his actions to Superior Court Judge Anthony Mellaci Jr., Morgan complained that the media published photos that made him look inappropriately angry or happy, and said he would not have worn designer clothing to court if he knew he would be criticized for it. He also said his courtroom wink following his conviction was to reassure his sister he was not upset at the verdict.
Morgan was found guilty last month of murdering Tierra Morgan-Glover by tossing her into a New Jersey creek, strapped into a car seat and weighed down by a tire jack, in November 2011.
The girl's mother, who wore a dress embroidered with Tierra's name and photos attached to it, said she hopes Morgan suffers in prison.
"I don't understand why she was taken from me," Benton said. "It does give me peace to know that she is in Heaven with God, and (Morgan) will pay for what he did to her, to me and to everyone else. No good will come to him."
Both the prosecutor and the judge lamented that New Jersey has abolished the death penalty.
"You'd be candidate No. 1 for its imposition," Mellaci told Morgan. "Your actions were horrific, unthinkable and appalling.
"This child was alive when she was placed in the water in pitch darkness, and had to suffer the unthinkable action of having water rush in and fill her lungs while strapped into that car seat," the judge said. "This child suffered before she died."
Prosecutors alleged Morgan killed the girl because he was angry that Benton had broken off their relationship.
"It was because he wanted Imani and he couldn't have her," prosecutor Marc LeMieux said. "So he took away the one precious thing in her life."
In court Wednesday, Morgan began to reassert allegations of abuse against Benton's family that he made in a letter he sent her from jail, but the judge cut him off, directing him to speak about the act of killing his daughter. Mellaci said there was no evidence the girl was mistreated in any way before her death.
But in rambling comments that repeatedly sought to portray himself as a heroic figure wrongly maligned, Morgan asserted he was a good father.
"As a father, my job was to provide and protect," he said. "All my actions prior to this were to make sure Tierra was safe and Imani was comfortable."

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/us-man-life-prison-tossing-2-old-daughter-113632087.html

"As a father, my job was to provide and protect," he said. "All my actions prior to this were to make sure Tierra was safe and Imani was comfortable."
Freaking unbelievable.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I read the words of this monster three times and its still hard to comprehend.
This is pure evil from a self centered narcissist. How could anyone, anyone
even a monster do something like that to a helpless little kid.
Good God what is this world coming to?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

Whether you are religious or not, God had nothing to do with it.

Karma is a real thing though, from personal experiences, and he'll get his just punishment one way or another.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Whether you are religious or not, God had nothing to do with it.

Karma is a real thing though, from personal experiences, and he'll get his just punishment one way or another.

This was a phrase, he was not referring to god.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
This was a phrase, he was not referring to god.

Yeah I know and thought about better clarifying that in my post, but couldn't be bothered. To me it was one of those situations where someone sees something horrific and says "My God" and the reply is "God had nothing to do with it"

A phrase with a phrase so to speak.

Point being is that mentioning God at all in this seems a little odd, even if you're asking him why something like this happens or what the world is coming to.

This sort of stuff (and worse) has been happening since the dawn of humans.

Even though we'd like to think we humans have become a bit more civilized and good natured, there's still a lot of fk'd up people out there and those type of people grab the headlines more often than the good people, thus they make humanity look a lot worse than it probably really is.

How can Karma exist in a world without a cosmic order? How can cosmic order exist without a deity?

It's called Physics.

There is a balance within existence in many ways in which we do not yet fully understand.... but that doesn't mean there's a God doing it all in the background.

I believe there is a balance and order for things in our lives..... I even believe there is an existence beyond this life we know. And maybe we do end up as some sort of energy being like a spirit.

But that doesn't mean there is a single entity at the centre controlling it all.

Either way, this is all a bit side tracking to the topic itself.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

It's not coming to anything, it's always been this way since the first bite off the old tree of knowlege, propbably an early Macintosh. The world in all times is full of heinous acts of cowardice and ignorance where one would rather die than commit such an act others would not hesitate in a vain and selfish fit of revenge to seek to preserve their pride in themselves. There are soothing answers to the question you asked in the old theological books, very old natural science struggled with the exact same question. We in this era are prescribed dope to deal with the overwhelming sensation, such is the curse of the material world, they say.
I don't like monsters either.

Yeah I know and thought about better clarifying that in my post, but couldn't be bothered. To me it was one of those situations where someone sees something horrific and says "My God" and the reply is "God had nothing to do with it"

A phrase with a phrase so to speak.

Point being is that mentioning God at all in this seems a little odd, even if you're asking him why something like this happens or what the world is coming to.

This sort of stuff (and worse) has been happening since the dawn of humans.

Even though we'd like to think we humans have become a bit more civilized and good natured, there's still a lot of fk'd up people out there and those type of people grab the headlines more often than the good people, thus they make humanity look a lot worse than it probably really is.

It's called Physics.

There is a balance within existence in many ways in which we do not yet fully understand.... but that doesn't mean there's a God doing it all in the background.

I believe there is a balance and order for things in our lives..... I even believe there is an existence beyond this life we know. And maybe we do end up as some sort of energy being like a spirit.

But that doesn't mean there is a single entity at the centre controlling it all.

Either way, this is all a bit side tracking to the topic itself.

Gods name is Balance/harmony/equlibrium his sword/actuator is light, do you really think we will fully understand all someday? Google infinite, the single entity is call ed the one or the way, nice interesting side track on a depressing subject.