PBO report, praising $30 billion in tax cuts, is like a pre-election Valentine for To

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Kelly McParland: PBO report, praising $30 billion in tax cuts, is like a pre-election Valentine for Tories | National Post

http://www.pbo-dpb.gc.ca/files/files/Fiscal_Impact_and_Incidence_EN.pdf

It must have been a pleasant surprise for the federal government to receive the Parliamentary Budget Officer’s early endorsement of the Conservatives’ 2015 re-election campaign.

The endorsement came in the form of a report titled “Revenue and Distribution Analysis of Federal Tax Changes: 2005-2013.” Not very sexy, admittedly; Ottawa’s bureaucrats still have a lot of work to do on their promotional techniques. But while it lacks pizzazz, the report could stand as Plank No. 1 in the 2015 Tory platform, under the heading: “Why you should vote for us again, despite all the Mike Duffy business.”

In (relatively) straightforward terms, the report indicates eight years of Conservative rule have been a beneficial time for taxpayers. Combined reductions in taxes since 2005 amount to more than $30 billion, it says. Of that, $17 billion comes from lower personal tax rates, and $13 billion from the reduced GST/HST.

Even better, in the PBO’s own words, “Cumulative tax changes since 2005 have been progressive overall and most greatly impact low-middle income earners (households earning between $12,200 and $23,300), effectively resulting in a 4.0 per cent increase in after-tax income.”

Did you get that? “Progressive overall.” “Most greatly impact low-middle-income earners.”

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
So, they have reduced revenues by 30.4 billion, only actually cut 12.5 billion in spending to offset that, and racked up 182.3 billion in deficit spending.

Or as they call it, sound fiscal management.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
So, they have reduced revenues by 30.4 billion, only actually cut 12.5 billion in spending to offset that, and racked up 182.3 billion in deficit spending.

Or as they call it, sound fiscal management.

Or as the Liberals and NDP hollered, screamed and thru temper tantrums, in the Commons and on the street calling for more stimulus. You do recall that part do you not???

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Or as the Liberals and NDP hollered, screamed and thru temper tantrums, in the Commons and on the street calling for more stimulus. You do recall that part do you not???

They were never yelling to cut taxes twice as much as spending. Even a NDPer know that kinda math doesn't add up.

Way too often these "fiscally conservatives" are not all that realistic about how to finance a government. Borrowing money to finance a tax cut costs taxpayers more over time than they save in taxes.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
They were never yelling to cut taxes twice as much as spending. Even a NDPer know that kinda math doesn't add up.

Way too often these "fiscally conservatives" are not all that realistic about how to finance a government. Borrowing money to finance a tax cut costs taxpayers more over time than they save in taxes.

Never answered the below. Did those Parties not demands more stimulus. Yes- No- or I do not know. 3 choices. Pick one.
"Or as the Liberals and NDP hollered, screamed and thru temper tantrums, in the Commons and on the street calling for more stimulus. You do recall that part do you not"???

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This is typical the government achieves tax cuts by gutting the civil service and
destroys much of the service provided to Canadians and gives tax breaks to the
companies and claims they did a good thing.
I don't like what they've done in the agriculture sector and I don't like the service
cuts to Canadians so I really don't care how much they chime about their deeds
I won't be voting conservative in the next election and a lot of other folks won't
either

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Never answered the below. Did those Parties not demands more stimulus. Yes- No- or I do not know. 3 choices. Pick one.
"Or as the Liberals and NDP hollered, screamed and thru temper tantrums, in the Commons and on the street calling for more stimulus. You do recall that part do you not"???

I never said that stimulus spending was a bad thing. It was obviously needed at the time. The amount of time that passed before the Conservatives realized that is another knock on their fiscal management skills.

My issue is with trying to sell these tax cuts as a benefit to taxpayers when they are really just giving us a forced loan that we will have to pay back with interest.

Last edited:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I never said that stimulus spending was a bad thing. It was obviously needed at the time. The amount of time that passed before the Conservatives realized that is another knock on their fiscal management skills.

My issue is with trying to sell these tax cuts as a benefit to taxpayers when they are really just gave us a forced loan that we will have to pay back with interest.
And in that you are in error. Most of the stimulus did not have a real effect. And the PBO has the Stats to show that.

This is typical the government achieves tax cuts by gutting the civil service and
destroys much of the service provided to Canadians and gives tax breaks to the
companies and claims they did a good thing.
I don't like what they've done in the agriculture sector and I don't like the service
cuts to Canadians so I really don't care how much they chime about their deeds
I won't be voting conservative in the next election and a lot of other folks won't
either
The Civil Service is bloated. Did you vote Conservative in the last few elections. I know I did not?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The civil service does not have the resources in the areas where they are needed
In fact they are pulling people from other departments to process EI claims that are
months old and the lineups are worse than the shortage of hospital beds.
Even if they saved 30 billion they have overspent worse than any other government
in history even worse than Trudeau.
I remember the story of the man who went out in the woods alone and a tree fell on him
he was ok but trapped he thought about his life and his family he'd miss he saw the
wolves gathering around waiting for dark and then he remembered he voted Conservative
in the last election and pondering the mess they made he felt so small he was able to
crawl out from under the tiny space and go home.
Hell would freeze over before I would even think about voting for this kind of conservative
party they are reform in sheep's clothing

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The civil service does not have the resources in the areas where they are needed
In fact they are pulling people from other departments to process EI claims that are
Even if they saved 30 billion they have overspent worse than any other government
I remember the story of the man who went out in the woods alone and a tree fell on him
he was ok but trapped he thought about his life and his family he'd miss he saw the
wolves gathering around waiting for dark and then he remembered he voted Conservative
in the last election and pondering the mess they made he felt so small he was able to
Hell would freeze over before I would even think about voting for this kind of conservative

Not what I asked.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Does nobody here subscribe to the idea that if you are going to quote something, you will actually show us what you are talking about?

Nope. Easy to check. I know that whatever link I post you will have an issue with. So why would I post numerous links that are cherry picked.
The information is easily and readily available.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Nope. Easy to check. I know that whatever link I post you will have an issue with. So why would I post numerous links that are cherry picked.
The information is easily and readily available.

Only you know exactly what numbers you are vaguely referring to.

Saying that you won't link to the numbers because you don't think they are convincing is pretty telling though.

How much more time have you spent arguing about not wanting to cite your source when you could have just posted a link?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Only you know exactly what numbers you are vaguely referring to.

Saying that you won't link to the numbers because you don't think they are convincing is pretty telling though.

How much more time have you spent arguing about not wanting to cite your source when you could have just posted a link?

Not vaguely. All reports from credible Orgs.
The money came t late in most cases.
The problem back then was access to borrowing. Aside from those 2 big to fail, 2 big to jail Corporations.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Not vaguely. All reports from credible Orgs.
The money came t late in most cases.
The problem back then was access to borrowing. Aside from those 2 big to fail, 2 big to jail Corporations.

Lol, then why are you afraid to cite them?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

There is part of the problem. Lack of organization. Instead of keeping the country running they are all concentrating on social problems.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
There is part of the problem. Lack of organization. Instead of keeping the country running they are all concentrating on social problems.

Do you really think that the current Conservative government is overly focused on social problems?