One in four Canadians declare affiliation to no religion, but why are so many ‘nones’

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Perhaps these people are seeking knowledge and have no affiliation with an organized religion?

I've heard many people express a spirituality but dislike the church and the churches ideals.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Less than 20% of Canadian attend church/mosque/temple/synagogue services. "Nones" are much higher than 25%.

Asked my neigbour his religion. "Lutheran!" he shouted. He's a little deaf.
"When was the last time you were in church?
"1961!" he replied.

Last edited:

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
People need buddies who don'r soil the towels in the bathroom, fiddle with the thermostat, or drink juice out of the container.

And, you don't have to put them in a kennel when you go to the Turks and Caicos.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
I'm sure a fair chunk of those people were brought up going to church, but drifted over the years. While they may not consider themselves part of the church anymore, they may not be totally willing to declare that there is nothing out there.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Question for Goober.
Do you go to services every week or just when Great Granny croaks?

I'm sure a fair chunk of those people were brought up going to church, but drifted over the years. While they may not consider themselves part of the church anymore, they may not be totally willing to declare that there is nothing out there.

Exactly, it's a cultural hangover. Drink clamato with a raw egg; that'll cure it!

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Question for Goober.
Do you go to services every week or just when Great Granny croaks?
Nope.

Perhaps these people are seeking knowledge and have no affiliation with an organized religion?

I've heard many people express a spirituality but dislike the church and the churches ideals.

Twila. You get it, others do not.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
There is also the fact that they use the pretty nebulous term "spiritual". A lot of people use that to mean a lot of different things. Some people consider doing yoga, or walking in the forest, or gardening "spiritual".

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

Doesn't really surprise me. I know a few people who believe in some sort of god or higher power who have no connection to any religion. It may be more comforting to come up with your own set of beliefs on this subject rather than follow the ones other people came up with.

I've been an atheist most of my life but even if I wasn't I still would have left the Catholic Church. I was baptized by a pedophile. I wouldn't want anything to do with an organization that protects people like him.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
We are spiritual for the same reasons bears and elephants are spiritual. Bears will sit and admire a sunset; elephants will mourn the death of a family member. However, if elephants have gods, they are not great white hunters; their gods have tusks.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
We are spiritual for the same reasons bears and elephants are spiritual. Bears will sit and admire a sunset; elephants will mourn the death of a family member. However, if elephants have gods, they are not great white hunters; their gods have tusks.

I would love to see a bear watching a sun set. That would be spectacular. Seeing a picture of a fox sniffing a flower made my day.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I filled a questionnaire like that a couple of years ago, and where they asked to check religious affiliation........since I am not politically correct I checked the box none....but added...... of your business........same as I do when they inquire about my income......