Over 7 months Yes 3 12.00%
No 13 52.00%
Some restriction on abortion - Yes 18 72.00%
No 3 12.00%
No restrictions on abortion 7 28.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Goober
Abortion
Canada as it stands has no restrictions on abortion. None. Yet the majority of Canadians support some restrictions on abortion.

The poll is not based upon Religious belief - It is based upon your personal ethics
The Cons cannot bring it forwards- Reasons are clear- a secret agenda.

Trudeau has effectively supported all the types of abortion listed as a woman's right.

Sex selection - Legal

Over 6 months - Legal

Over 7 months - Legal

Aborting a twin based upon economics - Legal

Abortion at any time past 7 months - Legal

This poll is public.

Oh yes- Those that are Pro Abortion - Plenty of choices- come on, step up to the plate of standing by your convictions.
Last edited by Goober; May 22nd, 2014 at 08:19 PM..

gerryh
what poll?

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

what poll?

It is there.

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

It is there.

it is now, wasn't when I posted.

damngrumpy
There are some exceptions as well as there should be restrictions.
Sex selection is almost like having a cosmetic attitude toward the
practice.
After six or seven months a person should have been able to make up
their mind and remember this period of time is sometimes an emotional
mind field.
There should be some exceptions though for health and related reasons
The right to die should also be granted with restrictions to be sure the right
decision is being made for the right reasons.

Goober
+1

it is now, wasn't when I posted.

I was slow with the poll and I missed one.
Know I know the thread posts before the poll is completed.

Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

There are some exceptions as well as there should be restrictions.
Sex selection is almost like having a cosmetic attitude toward the
practice.
After six or seven months a person should have been able to make up
their mind and remember this period of time is sometimes an emotional
mind field.
There should be some exceptions though for health and related reasons
The right to die should also be granted with restrictions to be sure the right
decision is being made for the right reasons.

The point is the majority of Canadian support some restrictions.
Yet the Parties - Trudeau in particular has played this card. He mad a a dumb political play. It will bite him.
Look at what I posted. All babies healthy, yet he supports all of them except some restrictions.
The Cons are now preparing the questions for Liberals ( future lapdog) (much like we have with Harper) that signed off on that pledge to be a lapdog when it comes to matters of conscience.

Cliffy
+5

The point is the majority of Canadian support some restrictions.
Yet the Parties - Trudeau in particular has played this card. He mad a a dumb political play. It will bite him.
Look at what I posted. All babies healthy, yet he supports all of them except some restrictions.
The Cons are now preparing the questions for Liberals ( future lapdog) (much like we have with Harper) that signed off on that pledge to be a lapdog when it comes to matters of conscience.

It is a matter of conscience for the one having the abortion. It is nobody else's business.

pgs
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

It is a matter of conscience for the one having the abortion. It is nobody else's business.

Then why do I have to pay ?

Cliffy
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by pgsView Post

Then why do I have to pay ?

You don't pay anything. That is the dumbest argument.. You pay taxes. Once paid, it is not your money (not that it ever was in the first place. It was only on loan to you by the bankers.)

IdRatherBeSkiing
+5
So I am assuming the No vote means "No it should not be allowed" as opposed to "No, there should not be restrictions". A more clearly worded poll may have been better.

Anyways, no restrictions before 20 - 22 weeks, after that only health of the mother. I am against gender selection as criteria but this would be unenforceable.

This is my only foray into this thread as this will likely degenerate quickly.

And do we really need ANOTHER abortion thread?

Also, I think it clear why Harper does not address this. It is a highly divisive issue and there is no upside to either position politically. Justine more than likely sunk himself in the long run unless Harper takes the bait (which he won't).

DaSleeper
+2

You don't pay anything. That is the dumbest argument.. You pay taxes. Once paid, it is not your money (not that it ever was in the first place. It was only on loan to you by the bankers.)

I pay for my own dental care/ dentures which are needed to eat, I pay for my own acupuncture which is better for pain than bloody pills...and the only thing I get is a tax deduction.....
I don't see why people couldn't pay for their own damned abortion if not medically needed to save their life!

Kreskin
+1
Healthcare is a Provincial matter. Medical associations, basically those understand the complexities of health and patient care, decide what services are delivered. That's the way it should be.

BornRuff

Abortion
Canada as it stands has no restrictions on abortion. None. Yet the majority of Canadians support some restrictions on abortion.

The Cons cannot bring it forwards- Reasons are clear- a secret agenda.

Trudeau has effectively supported all the types of abortion listed as a woman's right.

Sex selection - Legal

Over 6 months - Legal

Over 7 months - Legal

Aborting a twin based upon economics - Legal

Abortion at any time past 7 months - Legal

This poll is public.

Oh yes- Those that are Pro Abortion - Plenty of choices- come on, step up to the plate of standing by your convictions.

This is just social conservative stupidity.

Late term abortion simply isn't an issue in Canada. No doctor in Canada will perform an abortion after 24 weeks. Very very few will do it after 20 weeks, and that is normally only in cases where a major health issue has arisen.

When it comes to sex selection or economic reasons why someone would have an abortion, there really is no way to legislate subjective reasons why people would want to have an abortion.

They can make it illegal to tell parents the sex of a baby before they are born, but people who really want to find out will be able to find people willing to tell them. Ultrasounds are necessary for other reasons, so we can't ban those.
Last edited by BornRuff; May 22nd, 2014 at 08:27 PM..

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by BornRuffView Post

This is just social conservative stupidity.

Late term abortion simply isn't an issue in Canada. No doctor in Canada will perform an abortion after 24 months. Very very few will do it after 20 months, and that is normally only in cases where a major health issue has arisen.

When it comes to sex selection or economic reasons why someone would have an abortion, there really is no way to legislate subjective reasons why people would want to have an abortion.

They can make it illegal to tell parents the sex of a baby before they are born, but people who really want to find out will be able to find people willing to tell them. Ultrasounds are necessary for other reasons, so we can't ban those.

After 24 months it is referred to as murder??

BornRuff
+2 / -1
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

I pay for my own dental care/ dentures which are needed to eat, I pay for my own acupuncture which is better for pain than bloody pills...and the only thing I get is a tax deduction.....
I don't see why people couldn't pay for their own damned abortion if not medically needed to save their life!

You have a whole host of comprehensive medical services available to you through your provincial insurance. If you choose to use them or not is your own decision.

The fact is that having abortions freely available saves us money. An unwanted pregnancy can be an extremely emotional and stressful issue, and when there were barriers to abortion it lead to a lot of people doing very rash and harmful things to try to end their pregnancy. These have costs way beyond the few hundred bucks that it costs for an abortion.

After 24 months it is referred to as murder??

Lol, weeks, months.... not a big difference, right?

Goober

You have a whole host of comprehensive medical services available to you through your provincial insurance. If you choose to use them or not is your own decision.

The fact is that having abortions freely available saves us money. An unwanted pregnancy can be an extremely emotional and stressful issue, and when there were barriers to abortion it lead to a lot of people doing very rash and harmful things to try to end their pregnancy. These have costs way beyond the few hundred bucks that it costs for an abortion.

Opps sorry for the red.
24 Months had some fun.

gerryh
+1

Not to those that support murder.

DaSleeper

Wrong!!
The province does not pay for dental services or dentures and will only pay for a select number of acupuncture treatments usually given by a poorly trained technician at the hospital
So don't try that bullshyte with me....I've been there...

mentalfloss

Not to those that support murder.

You do realize you will be a Prickly Curmudgeon for the rest of your life don't you?

It's time to let it go Indy.

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

You do realize you will be a Prickly Curmudgeon for the rest if your life don't you?

As I stated it is an ethics question.
You support very late term abortions?
Sex selective abortions?
Would you also support crowning abortions as is practiced in China?

gerryh
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

I'm sure you would prefer that, but it aint gonna happen.

petros

Ummmmmm. You're wrong.

BornRuff
+2

Wrong!!
The province does not pay for dental services or dentures and will only pay for a select number of acupuncture treatments usually given by a poorly trained technician at the hospital
So don't try that bullshyte with me....I've been there...

Lol, what part of that confused you?

"You have a whole host of comprehensive medical services available to you through your provincial insurance."

I never claimed that they covered anything and everything.

I wish that dental care was covered, but that would be a massive new government expenditure.

Covering abortions is a relatively very tiny cost to the government, and leads to significant savings overall.

As I stated it is an ethics question.
You support very late term abortions?
Sex selective abortions?
Would you also support crowning abortions as is practiced in China?

No, it is a stupid question.

Very late term abortions are not practiced in Canada.

Sex selective abortions can't be legislated.

This is all just meant to stir up anger for political gain.

petros
Tiny cost? Since when is surgery of any type cheap?

BornRuff
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Tiny cost? Since when is surgery of any type cheap?

Abortions cost anywhere from $500-$1000. Generally they are cheaper if done in a clinic and closer to the $1000 cost if done in a hospital.

Given the number of people who actually get an abortion, the cost to our healthcare system to cover abortions is relatively very small.

It is estimated that about 75 million is spent on abortions each year in Canada. By comparison, almost 13 billion dollars are spent each year on dental care.

So you can see how covering abortions is a lot more feasible than something like dental care.

Funding | Abortion in Canada

http://www.med.uottawa.ca/sim/data/D..._June_2010.pdf

Praxius
+2
You guys do realize that internet forum polls amount to crap and don't actually reflect any realistic picture of public opinion?

The flaw in this poll is that it is made public and there will be some people, especially with a touchy subject as this, who will refuse to post any choice on the poll because they don't like to publicly voice their choices, thereby forcing a skewed perspective and thus, the poll is even more invalid.

Many people still don't like publicly stating who they voted for in an election, which in this day in age has no major consequences compared to a few decades ago, they will most likely not want to publicly state their view on this subject because it's a much hotter button pusher.

Me personally, I voted anyways (not that it will make any difference) simply because I don't give two sweet swamp turds who knows my views or what they think of it.

talloola

do you think people with lung cancer (whom are smokers,)should pay for all of their own medical care, as 'they' made
a decision to smoke, knowing that it causes lung cancer.

WLDB
+1

Abortion

Indeed I was quite surprised when I found out about that. I do have a problem with late term abortions as the kid could live most of the time. I have a cousin who was born at 6 months (give or take a week) and lived. Now, if someone were to have a abortion at that stage what would they do? Pull the kid out and put them on the table to die? Seems problematic.

Though from what Im told while there are no restrictions on late term abortions, good luck finding a doctor who will perform it past a certain point. I imagine that changes from doctor to doctor though.

Quote: Originally Posted by PraxiusView Post

You guys do realize that internet forum polls amount to crap and don't actually reflect any realistic picture of public opinion?

Even if it did it wouldn't matter. The point of it seems to be to spark debate. While the abortion debate has been had here many times here I don't think it has with this particular twist yet.

Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

do you think people with lung cancer (whom are smokers,)should pay for all of their own medical care, as 'they' made
a decision to smoke, knowing that it causes lung cancer.

They have in a way through the heavy taxes on cigarettes. At least i hope thats where that extra money goes.

petros

Abortions cost anywhere from $500-$1000. Generally they are cheaper if done in a clinic and closer to the $1000 cost if done in a hospital.

Given the number of people who actually get an abortion, the cost to our healthcare system to cover abortions is relatively very small.

It is estimated that about 75 million is spent on abortions each year in Canada. By comparison, almost 13 billion dollars are spent each year on dental care.

So you can see how covering abortions is a lot more feasible than something like dental care.

Funding | Abortion in Canada

http://www.med.uottawa.ca/sim/data/D..._June_2010.pdf

If it all started and ended there things might seem cheap but it doesn't.

BornRuff
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDBView Post

Though from what Im told while there are no restrictions on late term abortions, good luck finding a doctor who will perform it past a certain point. I imagine that changes from doctor to doctor though.

It is a medical issue, and as such, it is dealt with by doctors. Medical standards in Canada prevent abortion after 24 weeks, though getting an abortion after 20 weeks is extremely rare(less than 1% of abortions in Canada).

There are tons of medical things that would be wrong for a doctor to do. It would be wrong for a doctor to perform a gastric bypass surgery on a two year old. It would be wrong to do brain surgery on someone who doesn't need it. We don't need a specific law for all of these things though. They are covered under more general laws and rules regarding the proper practice of medicine.

Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

If it all started and ended there things might seem cheap but it doesn't.

Huh? Please go on.