US Gay Marriage- The walls come a tumbling down

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
US Gay Marriage- The walls come a tumbling down
Federal judge strikes down Oregon ban on same-sex marriage

A U.S. District Court judge struck down Oregon’s ban on same-sex marriage Monday, the seventh ruling that a state’s ban on gay marriage is unconstitutional in the wake of last year’s Supreme Court decision invalidating sections of the Defense of Marriage Act.

The decision came after the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals rejected a bid by the National Organization for Marriage to stay the ruling. The Oregon judge, Michael McShane, had denied NOM’s effort to intervene in the case.

“Because Oregon’s marriage laws discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation without a rational relationship to any legitimate government interest,” McShane wrote, ”the laws violate the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution.”

“I believe that if we can look for a moment past gender and sexuality, we can see in these plaintiffs nothing more or less than our own families,” he wrote. “Families who we would expect our constitution to protect, if not exalt, in equal measure.”

After last year’s Supreme Court decision, bans on same-sex marriage have been overturned by federal judges in six other states: Idaho, Utah, Michigan, Virginia, Oklahoma and Texas. Those cases are on appeal.

But in Oregon, McShane’s decision to leave NOM out of the case means there is no one with standing to appeal his ruling. Oregon officials, anticipating the ruling, prepared to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples almost immediately.

In Portland, couples lined up outside the Multnomah County clerk’s office in anticipation of Monday’s ruling, according to the Associated Press. Among them were Laurie Brown and Julie Engbloom, who got engaged on their 10th anniversary in April, AP reported.

“We always knew we wanted to spend our whole life together,” Brown said. “This opportunity has come. It feels right. Everything has fallen into place.”

Four gay and lesbian couples sued over the ban on same-sex marriage, and state Attorney General Ellen Rosenblum (D) said earlier this year she would not defend the decade-old law.

Oregon voters passed the constitutional amendment defining marriage as reserved for heterosexual couples in 2004 by a wide 57 percent to 43 percent margin. Public opinion polls show state residents would vote to reverse themselves: A poll conducted last week showed that 58 percent of Oregon voters would vote for a proposed constitutional amendment to allow same-sex marriage.

Oregon was the only state to put a pro-same-sex marriage initiative on the ballot this year, though after McShane’s ruling, supporters are likely to withdraw the measure.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
What is shameful is that you discriminate against people based on sexual orientation.

But if gay people are allowed to do what straight people do, it ruins it for everyone else. It is just common sense.

That is why I can't eat dinner anymore. I used to love eating dinner, but then I found out that gay people also eat dinner, and that was it. No more dinner.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
So be it. Let them do whatever they want, let them call it whatever they want, but it's not a marriage.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
So be it. Let them do whatever they want, let them call it whatever they want, but it's not a marriage.

You can call it whatever you want, but the government has no business making that distinction.

It is really funny how so many of the people who are very anti government intervention in most things do a complete 180 when it comes to stuff like this and want the government to decide who can and can't get married.

If two consenting adults want to get married, why should the government stop them?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Oh for Gods sake it is what it is. I have been married for decades and just cause some
gay couple wants to get married it doesn't threaten my marriage or the institution of
marriage. It comes down to a simple fact its none of anybodies business what others
have for house keeping rules
We waste our time on stuff like this while people are going hungry and others are being
homeless. The money spent of courts and lawyers and judicial wrangling would feed a
lot of starving people. Its time to give it up, even the war on drugs is coming to an end
as people are beginning to understand these are social not criminal issues and what
people want to reside under is their business
And before some want to trot our the line about child abuse or any of that they are not
social issue they are criminal matters as is rape and murder and they have nothing to do
with gay or any other kind of marriage

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
And yet if we don't discriminate they'll be offended.

I'm tired of saluting rainbow flags, semite flags, fascist flags, green flags, politically correct rags the troops, wi fi, young people, seniors and jesus freaks especially gay jesus freaks. Where did the ordinary people go?

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
And yet if we don't discriminate they'll be offended.

I'm tired of saluting rainbow flags, semite flags, fascist flags, green flags, politically correct rags the troops, wi fi, young people, seniors and jesus freaks especially gay jesus freaks. Where did the ordinary people go?

I want to know what the gay jesus freak flag looks like. It sounds interesting.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
But if gay people are allowed to do what straight people do, it ruins it for everyone else. It is just common sense.

That is why I can't eat dinner anymore. I used to love eating dinner, but then I found out that gay people also eat dinner, and that was it. No more dinner.

Nah, you're fine to eat dinner so long as it's not a GAY dinner.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
How come I can't get (lost my foot in a mining accident rights) but they want us to discriminate and award them special rights over and above ordinary human rights. They're crazy, they want to be included but exceptional at the same time.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

And just who is making you salute all these flags? I haven't seen most of them. I just live my life and no one seems to care. Something different over there?