Islamic court says pregnant woman permitted to give birth before she is hanged

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Sudanese court says that Meriam Yehya Ibrahim who faces a death sentence for apostasy can have her baby

An Islamic court in the Sudanese capital has said that a pregnant woman sentenced to hang for apostasy after she married a Christian man will be allowed to give birth before she is executed.

Meriam Yehya Ibrahim, 27, who was born to a Muslim father but brought up a Christian by her mother, was convicted on Sunday in Khartoum and given three days to recant her faith or face a possible death sentence.

“We gave you three days to recant but you insist on not returning to Islam. I sentence you to be hanged,” Judge Abbas Mohammed Al-Khalifa told Mrs Ibrahim, addressing her by her father’s name, Adraf Al-Hadi Mohammed Abdullah.

Mrs Ibrahim also faces a sentence of flogging for adultery on the grounds that her marriage to a Christian man from South Sudan is considered void under Islamic law. She will be given 100 lashes. Because her father was Muslim, she was considered by the court to be the same.

Mrs Ibrahim told the judge: “I am a Christian and I never committed apostasy.”

Her lawyer said that she intended to appeal against the decision.

Amnesty International said Mrs Ibrahim was eight months pregnant and in detention with her 20-month-old son. A spokesman said:

“The fact that a woman could be sentenced to death for her religious choice and to flogging for being married to a man of an allegedly different religion is abhorrent and should never be even considered.”

The sentence has been condemned by the international community. In a joint statement, the embassies of Britain, the United States, Canada and the Netherlands expressed “deep concern” over her case.

“We call upon the government of Sudan to respect the right to freedom of religion, including one’s right to change one’s faith or beliefs,” they said.

Islamic court permits pregnant woman to give birth before she is hanged - Telegraph

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Strangely enough, she would have been allowed to murder her unborn baby in some Western countries.

Yet, elsewhere, even Islamists in Sudan say she can have her baby first before she is executed.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Strangely enough, she would have been allowed to murder her unborn baby in some Western countries.

Yet, elsewhere, even Islamists in Sudan say she can have her baby first before she is executed.

The baby is tainted by her sins and should be executed as well. What are these Muslims, hypocrites?

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
The sentence has been condemned by the international community. In a joint statement, the embassies of Britain, the United States, Canada and the Netherlands expressed “deep concern” over her case.

Yeah, like they give a sh*t

Go in there with special forces and grab the women.. take her out of there, and kill a few Sudanese officials while they are at it..

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Yeah, like they give a sh*t

Go in there with special forces and grab the women.. take her out of there, and kill a few Sudanese officials while they are at it..
we do give a sh it, Canada does remove women and children from these countries/situations ALL the time...it is just a little known fact... I became aware of this from working in an adult education school were they come to learn how to speak English and fit into our culture. Some of their stories are so horrendous it turns your stomach to hear what they have been through.

Hopefully they will be able to get her out in time. They can't exactly announce it before hand.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
She can give birth before being beaten and executed.

Who says they're not merciful?

Maybe instead of the Canadian government expressing "deep concern" they should do something a bit more tangible like sending them a box DVD set of Little Mosque on the Prairie. They may see the err in their ways and see a better way to do things.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
friggin idiot, read!!! Like the Sudanese give a sh*t about what Canada, USA says.

What was in Quotes above the "Like they give a sh*t"

I know Canada, and the USA and other Civilized nations give a sh*t.. and we should do more..

Geeez always on attack these days, go bleed.

What are you, 12? That was the furthest thing from an "attack" as you can probably get on this forum.

However, if you'd like to see an attack I'd be more than happy to oblige.

Grow the hell up.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
What are you, 12? That was the furthest thing from an "attack" as you can probably get on this forum.

However, if you'd like to see an attack I'd be more than happy to oblige.

Grow the hell up.
I actually didn't mean it as an attack...lol

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I actually didn't mean it as an attack...lol

I know. If someone actually takes the time to, oh let's say, actually frigging read what's been said, it's actually not that difficult to figure out when something is simply a comment.

But there are those with thin skin and then there are those with skin that must be damn near transparent. :roll:

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
You know, back in the old days, mods would do something about this personal insulting stuff.

That's when people were over sensitive... and would cry about every little insult, AND call everyone A RACIST..

Today, members know how to rein it in and take control.. in this case the women won. (but if you have ever been married, that's pretty much always the case)

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
First of all they don't care what Canadians think. We should still speak up.
At the same time we should never allow them to practice their religious law
here. We get to see how backward they are from a distance.
In addition seeing this kind of nonsense go on while the west send billions in
aid with no strings in something to think about. We keep saying they have to
get their act together, now we have to get our act together.
What is happening in countries like this and where the young girls were taken
by extremists is a new religious Fascism being practiced and comes ever
closer to our doorstep on the planet. The time now is not to fear it or ignore it.
We must understand there is a struggle going on with that part of the world.
and we better participate in deciding who wins out

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
You know, back in the old days, mods would do something about this personal insulting stuff.

No one has actually Reported anything, so until I had just read this thread at the moment, I had no idea anything was even going on. That being said, it looks to me like Sal and SLM have already handled it to their satisfaction (hence no Report).