Teachers to be bribed with signing bonus.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
B.C. teachers to be offered 6-year term on new contract - British Columbia - CBC News

This is the second time at least this sh*t has happened with the B.C. Gov't, the first time was several years ago under Gordon Campbell, with much of the public sector. Shouldn't the taxpayer have a say before having to pay a ransom? This sh*t was never mentioned before the last election!

This is why

"Students and parents don’t need to begin yet another school year in September with the threat of a full strike and major disruption hanging over their heads. Our children deserve stability," he said.

I know you have no children in school any more, so it makes it very obvious you don't give a rats a$$, but those that do have kids in school know the importance of stability for their children.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
This is why

"Students and parents don’t need to begin yet another school year in September with the threat of a full strike and major disruption hanging over their heads. Our children deserve stability," he said.

I know you have no children in school any more, so it makes it very obvious you don't give a rats a$$, but those that do have kids in school know the importance of stability for their children.

No but I still have one grand daughter who lives with us who will be starting grade nine. That isn't a point, the principle far exceeds any inconvenience. Demanding ransoms is criminal, so should be paying them!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
No but I still have one grand daughter who lives with us who will be starting grade nine. That isn't a point, the principle far exceeds any inconvenience. Demanding ransoms is criminal, so should be paying them!

What ransom is being demanded? The article only states what the government is offering in hopes of heading off job action in the new school year. There is no mention at all as to what the teachers are asking. So where are you getting this "ransom" from?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Companies/Govt do offer these for long term contracts. It assures stability.
A common practice.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
What ransom is being demanded? The article only states what the government is offering in hopes of heading off job action in the new school year. There is no mention at all as to what the teachers are asking. So where are you getting this "ransom" from?

There's two things wrong with it, one is it's bribery and two is it's someone else's money.............not rocket science!

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
There's two things wrong with it, one is it's bribery and two is it's someone else's money.............not rocket science!
If it was a large corporation would your opinion be the same?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

So, how exactly do you expect the Government of BC to handle wage negotiations?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
B.C. teachers to be offered 6-year term on new contract - British Columbia - CBC News

This is the second time at least this sh*t has happened with the B.C. Gov't, the first time was several years ago under Gordon Campbell, with much of the public sector. Shouldn't the taxpayer have a say before having to pay a ransom? This sh*t was never mentioned before the last election!
The taxpayers had a say, when they elected the government.

Does the Canadian military pay enlistment/re-enlistment bonuses to soldiers in high-skill jobs? The U.S. forces do. It's generally not considered a "bribe."

Economically speaking, the government wants certainty (a contract in place before the school year starts). Well, certainty has value, just as if you are a manufacturing company and pay a premium for certainty in the supplies you buy (a "needs" contract). So the government is paying for certainty.

The fact that it's "your" money (it isn't, it's BC's money) doesn't change the value of the certainty.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB

It's called collective bargaining! They will negotiate what is hopefully a fair contract. If in the end the teachers perform robbery and get a gold plated agreement then you can b*tch. If it is in line with other jurisdictions and professionals then there is nothing to complain about. You don't even know what the govt is offering other than 6 years and a signing bonus. Do you really want underpaid, spineless and resentful people teaching the next generation?

If I remember correctly Gordon Campbell legislated away their right to a full strike a few years back. Only thing he did good was the essential services legislation.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
It's called collective bargaining! They will negotiate what is hopefully a fair contract. If in the end the teachers perform robbery and get a gold plated agreement then you can b*tch. If it is in line with other jurisdictions and professionals then there is nothing to complain about. You don't even know what the govt is offering other than 6 years and a signing bonus. Do you really want underpaid, spineless and resentful people teaching the next generation?

If I remember correctly Gordon Campbell legislated away their right to a full strike a few years back. Only thing he did good was the essential services legislation.
I don't know about the Great White North, but down here in the Not-So-Great Muddy Grey-Brown South, the impetus for teachers' unions was the fact that the school boards would regularly screw teachers, frequently not even paying them the agreed wage.

Teachers give a service for money. They are entitled to be paid whatever they can get, just like everybody else. They are entitled, as the law currently stands, to unite and bargain collectively for whatever they can get.

I'm all in favour of the government bargaining hard. But really, the government here is in the exact same position as a corporation. They have a product to deliver, customers waiting, and they need their labour force. And corporations also spend "other people's money" (the shareholders). If you don't like the deal, do what shareholders do. Vote out the board of directors and the officers.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The taxpayers had a say, when they elected the government.

We voted based on their promises and stated platform.

If it was a large corporation would your opinion be the same?

Probably, BUT there's a big difference, I don't have to patronize and support a large corporation.

Education to my mind is an essential service and there is no way children's education should be jeopardized by strikes. Teaching is a calling, they know that up front when they embark on the career.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
So, how exactly do you expect the Government of BC to handle wage negotiations?

I don't really give a rat's a$$,it's about #422 on my list of pressing concerns. I know one teacher in town here who is off to Mexico/Hawaii at least once a year on school breaks, so I don't think they are in danger of starvation (or anything close to it)-:)

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Rather than focusing on teachers' salaries, consider the per-pupil cost of public K-12 education in British Columbia. The per-pupil cost includes physical, instructional, and human resources. The per-pupil cost is $11 832 in 2014. Among provincial jurisdictions, this is the second lowest in Canada, Only PEI spends less; British Columbia spends $1000 less than the Canadian average.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Rather than focusing on teachers' salaries, consider the per-pupil cost of public K-12 education in British Columbia. The per-pupil cost includes physical, instructional, and human resources. The per-pupil cost is $11 832 in 2014. Among provincial jurisdictions, this is the second lowest in Canada, Only PEI spends less; British Columbia spends $1000 less than the Canadian average.

Now there's an angle worth looking into! -:)

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I don't really give a rat's a$$,it's about #422 on my list of pressing concerns. I know one teacher in town here who is off to Mexico/Hawaii at least once a year on school breaks, so I don't think they are in danger of starvation (or anything close to it)-:)

So, this thread was just a troll thread then.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

See, these two posts don't jive with each other. If you don't give a rats a$$ (which is what I said already and you denied) then why the tone of the OP?

Now there's an angle worth looking into! -:)

In other words, the teachers of BC are underpaid. The majority of provinces, save PEI, pay their teachers more.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
See, these two posts don't jive with each other. If you don't give a rats a$$ (which is what I said already and you denied) then why the tone of the OP?

Sorry, I meant to respond to post #8. The wages per se weren't my main concern. When people are offered bribes at other people's expense I think it is only decent that the people doing the paying be consulted first. I wasn't. There is also a second principle, should people accept a wage offer because they are being bribed or should they accept a wage offer because it is commensurate with the work they are doing?