Britain has more billionaires than any other country

Blackleaf
The 2014 Sunday Times Rich List has showed that the number of billionaires living in Britain has topped 100 for the first time. There are 104 billionaires living in Britain.

This means that Britain has more billionaires per head of population than any other country.

London also has more billionaires than any other city, with 72, far ahead of its nearest rival Moscow, which has 48.

The Indian-born brothers Sri and Gopie Hinduja - who run the conglomerate Hinduja Group - top the UK rich list with a fortune of £11.9bn.

The richest Britons in Britain are British India-born brothers David and Simon Reuben, who both come in at number seven on the list, who have a fortune of £9bn, followed by the 6th Duke of Westminster, in tenth.

'Rich List' counts more than 100 UK billionaires

11 May 2014
BBC News

Sir Richard Branson is worth £3.6bn according to the list

The number of billionaires living in the UK has risen to more than 100 for the first time, according to the 2014 Sunday Times Rich List.

There are now 104 billionaires based in the UK with a combined wealth of more than £301bn, the list says (external - login to view).

That means the UK has more billionaires per head of population than any other country.

London has more billionaires than any other city in the world with 72 - far ahead of nearest rival Moscow with 48.

The Indian-born brothers Sri and Gopie Hinduja - who run the conglomerate Hinduja Group - top the list with a fortune of £11.9bn.

Arsenal FC shareholder Alisher Usmanov is no longer the richest man in the UK

London has more billionaires than any other city in the world with 72 - far ahead of nearest rival Moscow with 48

Arsenal shareholder and Russian business magnate Alisher Usmanov fell to second after his estimated fortune dropped to £10.65bn.

The Duke of Westminster is the richest (British-born) Briton with around £8.5bn, leaving him 10th.

Rising fortunes

The number of billionaires living in the UK has jumped from 88 in 2013, according to the Sunday Times.

Their combined wealth has also reportedly shot up from £245bn last year.

It is the first time since 2008 that the minimum wealth of the 50 richest people in the UK has exceeded £1.5bn.

A fortune of £1.7bn is now required to make the top 50 - up from £700m 10 years ago.

New members of the list include West End producer Sir Cameron Mackintosh, who is now worth £1bn, and Jon Hunt, the founder of estate agents Foxtons who is worth £1.07bn.

Rich List author Philip Beresford explains why the super rich love London

The wealthiest new entry is Carrie and Francois Perenco and their family, who own the London-based Perenco oil and gas operation and are worth an estimated £6.14bn.

Philip Beresford, who compiles the list, told the BBC "culture, financial services, nice tax regime, good education for their kids and a nice lifestyle where they meet their friends" were among the reasons billionaires were attracted to the UK.

Other notable figures on the list include Chelsea Football Club owner Roman Abramovich (£8.52bn), Sports Direct and Newcastle United Football Club owner Mike Ashley (£3.75bn) and Virgin Group founder Sir Richard Branson (£3.6bn).

Plymouth-born Chris Dawson, who owns and runs The Range discount store chain, saw his fortune rise by £695m in the past 12 months to net £1.28bn.

The full Sunday Times Rich List is published on 18 May.

Top 25
  1. Sri and Gopi Hinduja, £11.9bn, up £1.3bn
  2. Alisher Usmanov, £10.65bn, down £2.65bn
  3. Lakshmi Mittal and family, £10.25bn, up £250m
  4. Len Blavatnik, £10bn, down £1bn
  5. Ernesto and Kirsty Bertarelli, £9.75bn, up £2.35bn
  6. John Fredriksen and family, £9.25bn, up £450m
  7. David and Simon Reuben, £9bn, up £719m
  8. Kirsten and Jorn Rausing, £8.8bn, up £3.69bn
  9. Roman Abramovich, £8.52bn, down £780m
  10. The Duke of Westminster, £8.5bn, up £700m
  11. Galen, Hilary and George Weston and family, £7.3bn, up £650m
  12. Charlene de Carvalho-Heineken and Michel de Carvalho, £6.36bn, down £635m
  13. Mohamed Bin Issa Al Jaber and family, £6.16bn, up £1.65bn
  14. Carrie and Francois Perrodo and family, £6.14bn, new
  15. German Khan, £6.08bn, new
  16. Sir David and Sir Frederick Barclay, £6bn, up £3.65bn
  17. Hans Rausing and family £5.9bn, up £1.18bn
  18. Nicky Oppenheimer and family, £4.57bn, up £785m
  19. Earl Cadogan and family, £4.2bn, up £525m
  20. Joseph Lau and family, £4.03bn, down £570m
  21. Sir Philip and Lady Green £3.88bn, no change
  22. Denis O'Brien, £3.85bn, up £486m
  23. Mike Ashley, £3.75bn, up £1.45bn
  24. Sir Richard Branson and family, £3.6bn, up £86m
  25. Idan Ofer, £3.43bn, new
BBC News - 'Rich List' counts more than 100 UK billionaires (external - login to view)
Last edited by Blackleaf; May 11th, 2014 at 09:54 AM..

Spade
I don't see any English names on your list.

Sal
I just need one million

Blackleaf
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

I don't see any English names on your list.

So what nationality are Mike Ashley, Richard Branson, Sir David and Frederick Barclay and Galen, Hilary and George Weston and family?

Kreskin
+2
#5  Top Rated Post
The way prices are over there that would be like food stamps.

#juan
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

So what nationality are Mike Ashley, Richard Branson, Sir David and Frederick Barclay and Galen, Hilary and George Weston and family?

I believe George Weston is Canadian.

Spade
+1
But, Hinduja, Usmamov, Blavatnik, and Bertarelli are definitely English.

#juan

Now that is funny!.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

I believe George Weston is Canadian.

I don't believe that. Nice try, though.

EagleSmack
+2
Galen Weston & family - Forbes (external - login to view)

Canadian

#juan
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

Canadian

Thanks Eagle

Galen Weston & family - Forbes

Blackleaf
+1

Canadian

Born in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, with duel British-Canadian citizenship.

Spade
+1
If we made every billionaire in the world an honourary Canadian, boy could we brag!

Blackleaf

Just because Britain is able to attract wealthy businessmen from around the world who, in total, pay a third of all the tax paid in Britain annually, is no reason to get jealous.

The more foreign billionaires we attract, the better.

EagleSmack
George Weston.... Canadian.

Go Canada

Blackleaf

George Weston.... Canadian.

Born in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, who holds British citizenship.

It took me approximately 20 seconds to find that out.

Spade

Thank the gods, Britain allows immigration. Immigrant offspring are improving the gene pool.

EagleSmack
+1

He's Canadian... as was his dad... and his granddad who started the biz in Canada.

Canadian

Blackleaf

Thank the gods, Britain allows immigration. Immigrant offspring are improving the gene pool.

The chances are - like most Canadians - that he's descended from British immigrants to Canada.

If you want to look at ancestry, we should look back to his British ancestry, when his ancestors moved to the frozen colonies in North America.

He's Canadian

He's as much British as he is Canadian. The fact he was born in Britain and holds a British passport is proof of that.

EagleSmack
+2

British Billionaire

Count_Lothian
Well Britain has ruled the world , shaped it too. All those lines in the sand and lumping together tribes that loathe one another, helps with the economics as well.
I think it is the gene pool of choice as well. British white genes are just the most sought after in the here and after as well. Lots of Karmic mechanics to get in there.

I have Indian friends , and if any one else experienced this, just jump in.

So they have this little boy, and another had a little girl . So two different times this happened, in front of me.

When people gathered around they all were exclaiming how "White" they looked. "Oh look how white he looks!" I sort of was surprised the first time this happened. Knowing these people really well for over thirty years I questioned the whole thing.
One of the daughters said that the more white you look the better chances and doors are opened to you.

So there you go, white is tops. Don't shoot the messenger.

Rule Britannia!

Downtown Montreal in the heart of the city King Edward rules the Landscape with Britannia bold as brass protecting us from that Malois crowd

Spade
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Count_LothianView Post

I think it is the gene pool of choice as well. British white genes are just the most sought after in the here and after as well.

I have done my best to counteract that myth.

Sal
+1

Well Britain has ruled the world , shaped it too. All those lines in the sand and lumping together tribes that loathe one another, helps with the economics as well.
I think it is the gene pool of choice as well. British white genes are just the most sought after in the here and after as well. Lots of Karmic mechanics to get in there.

I have Indian friends , and if any one else experienced this, just jump in.

So they have this little boy, and another had a little girl . So two different times this happened, in front of me.

When people gathered around they all were exclaiming how "White" they looked. "Oh look how white he looks!" I sort of was surprised the first time this happened. Knowing these people really well for over thirty years I questioned the whole thing.
One of the daughters said that the more white you look the better chances and doors are opened to you.

So there you go, white is tops. Don't shoot the messenger.

Rule Britannia!

Downtown Montreal in the heart of the city King Edward rules the Landscape with Britannia bold as brass protecting us from that Malois crowd

yes I've had a similar experience... was shocked when it happened.

I was in my 20's at the time. I was working in retail on the sales floor. It was a hot summers day and we were standing and staring out the window. This guy walked past who was built like OMG...he had on a muscle shirt and tight white pants...I turned to my friend who was also watching and said...look at that...did you SEE that? Her reply to me was: blue-eyed, white girls like you always love the really black guys. And she turned and walked away. I couldn't even move for a full minute as I busily processed conflicting thoughts and emotions one of them being...did I hear that right?

Blackleaf
+1

Rule Britannia!

3.2% economic growth for the UK expected for 2014, the best performance of the world's richest countries.

The US and its Canadian economic appendage are forecast to grow 2.6% this year.

Last edited by Blackleaf; May 11th, 2014 at 11:40 AM..

Count_Lothian
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

yes I've had a similar experience... was shocked when it happened.

I was in my 20's at the time. I was working in retail on the sales floor. It was a hot summers day and we were standing and staring out the window. This guy walked past who was built like OMG...he had on a muscle shirt and tight white pants...I turned to my friend who was also watching and said...look at that...did you SEE that? Her reply to me was: blue-eyed, white girls like you always love the really black guys. And she turned and walked away. I couldn't even move for a full minute as I busily processed conflicting thoughts and emotions one of them being...did I hear that right?

Finally someone that doesn't need me to type in purple to get me.

Blackleaf

You have those remnants of the British in the same way that the Romans left behind viaducts, baths and long walls in Britain.

Trex
+1 / -1
Another load of needy, self gratifying bull droppings from Blackleaf.

A Brit constantly droning on about the glories of the UK to a Canadian forum, talk about a guy always bringing sandwiches to a banquet.

Blackleafs list of UK billionaires consists of a bunch of guys who live and or work in other countries and just happen to hold a UK passport as a second or even third place passport of convenience.

Take the Weston clan….they are all Canadians .
Just because they own a ton of UK businesses and investments and a few of them hold UK passports of convenience means nothing in regards to their true home nations.

Lets look at the numbers on the world’s richest countries per person:
The IMF says: #1 Qatar, #2 Luxemburg, #3 Singapore, the USA at #6, Canada at #9 and the UK at # 21. Bummer for the UK.

The World Bank says: #1 Qatar, #2 Macau, #3 Luxemburg, the USA comes in at #9,
Canada at #20, and the UK at #26.
Double bummer for the UK.

The CIA rankings say: #1 Qatar, #2 Lichtenstein, #3 Bermuda, the USA comes in at #8, Canada at # 11, and the UK at #23.
Triple bummer for the UK.

Global Finance 2013: #1 Qatar, #2 Luxemburg, #3 Singapore, USA at #7, Canada at
# 11 and the good old UK bottom crawling at #23.
So that about covers that.

Next the world’s billionaires?
Forbes richest for this year #1 Bill Gates USA, #2 Carlos Slim Mexico, #3 Warren Buffett USA.
In fact of the worlds top 12 billionaires 10 of them are Americans.
Where does Canada fit in to this list of billionaires? The Thomson family at # 25.
How does the UK stack up?
The richest Brit comes in at #82
Pathetic really.

We know Canada has been rated internationally as having the wealthiest middle class in the world.

But how about national happiness and prosperity?
Legatum Institute 2013 rankings are:
#1 Norway
#2 Switzerland
#3 Canada
The USA comes in at #11.
The UK slinks in at #16.

In other words the UK pretty much sucks as a place to live.
The smartest possible thing a reasonably well-educated and hard working citizen of
the UK could do would be to immigrate to Canada or Australia/NZ as fast as is humanly possible.

Bragging to Canadians about how great the UK is much like a small child flexing his muscles at his father.

And whom just happens to run the UK's national banking system and it's currency?
A Canadian.
Amazing that.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by TrexView Post

The smartest possible thing a reasonably well-educated and hard working citizen of
the UK could do would be to immigrate to Canada or Australia/NZ as fast as is humanly possible.

So why is it that the vast majority of UK emigrants to Canada and Australia always return to Britain because they discover they don't like the lifestyle of those countries? It's a well-known fact that a huge chunk of British expats in Canada and Australia find both countries dull and tedious and return to the UK as soon as they can.

Canada, especially, turns out to be incredibly boring with extremely long, dark, depressing, FREEZING winters. When the British are celebrating warm spring sunshine, the Canadians are still suffering freezing temperatures and snow.

Even Australia, with its hot, sunny weather and people having barbecues on the beach, always turns out to be a bitter disappointment for British expats, and they return home in no time at all.

There is NOTHING to suggest that life in Canada is better than it is in Britain, and EVERYTHING to suggest that life in Britain is better than it is in Canada. Despite what certain official "stats" may say, the real evidence points to Britain having a higher quality of life than Canada.

You may think that Canada's a great place to live, but then you've probably never lived in a hip and happening place like Britain.

Revealed: Why thousands of Britons who emigrated to Australia are returning home | Mail Online

No wonder the local beavers bite off their wotsits: Why one man won't be joining the rush to move to Canada | Mail Online

Sal

You may think that Canada's a great place to live, but then you've probably never lived in a hop and happening place like Britain.

yup, been there, done that, and came HOME again

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

yup, been there, done that, and came HOME again

Good for you.

Can you provide stats which show that a large chunk of Canadian expats in Britain find the country dull and tedious and return to Canada in no time, in the same way that British expats return home from Canada and Australia in no time?

If Canada is so good, why is its population half that of Britain's in a much larger land area, and a tenth that of America's, a country almost the same size as Canada?

no new posts