How Dare That Man Repair The Roads!

SLM
+3
#1  Top Rated Post
New Brunswick man told to unfix potholes

QMI Agency

May 9, 2014 , Last Updated: 2:02 PM ET

A Saint John, N.B., man who filled potholes with gravel, then was told by the city to undo his work, says he's giving the city a week to fix the roads or he'll do it all over again.
"If they don't fix these holes, I'll probably do it again," autobody shop owner Mike Defazio said, adding the next time, "I'll use better gravel."
Defazio said he was "fed up" with the potholes and the city's apparent lack of interest in fixing them.
He filled some potholes with gravel last weekend, but the city told him he couldn't do that and to dig up the work he had done or face a fine.
Defazio did as he was told and on Friday, said he got a call saying he won't be fined.
But Defazio is still frustrated the city seems to have no timeline to fix the potholes.
"I just want to see stuff fixed," he said.

Pothole Repairs in the City of Saint John - YouTube

Quote:

We hear ya, Mike.

Dixie Cup
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

QMI Agency

May 9, 2014 , Last Updated: 2:02 PM ET

A Saint John, N.B., man who filled potholes with gravel, then was told by the city to undo his work, says he's giving the city a week to fix the roads or he'll do it all over again.
"If they don't fix these holes, I'll probably do it again," autobody shop owner Mike Defazio said, adding the next time, "I'll use better gravel."
Defazio said he was "fed up" with the potholes and the city's apparent lack of interest in fixing them.
He filled some potholes with gravel last weekend, but the city told him he couldn't do that and to dig up the work he had done or face a fine.
Defazio did as he was told and on Friday, said he got a call saying he won't be fined.
But Defazio is still frustrated the city seems to have no timeline to fix the potholes.

Pothole Repairs in the City of Saint John - YouTube

We hear ya, Mike.

Nothing like citizens taking action. Bravo Mike! Guess they don't like being spot-lighted.

grumpydigger
I believe I saw this episode of corner gas

Sal
why........what is the reasoning about making him undo his "fix"?

SLM
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

I could be mistaken but I believe it's "because they said so.".

Sal

I could be mistaken but I believe it's "because they said so.".

lmao...ah, okay...their way and the wrong way...gottcha...

Tonington
+1

Probably something about unions. When the government rebuilt the St Andrews Biological Station, none of the DFO employees who work in the labs were allowed to be involved with plumbing in the new fish tanks. Had to be done by Public Works employees. They ended up with valves behind tanks that were accessible if you are a contortionist...

grumpydigger
+3
Probably because they believe , he is not qualified to put gravel into a hole .

You must go through a intense training program of leaning against your shovel

Serryah
+1
I'm all for if the government in charge won't do the job, then the people who put that government in charge should be able to step up and fix the problem (and be compensated as well). WE elect THEM to do a job, if they won't do it then F-em.

Sal
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

Probably something about unions. When the government rebuilt the St Andrews Biological Station, none of the DFO employees who work in the labs were allowed to be involved with plumbing in the new fish tanks. Had to be done by Public Works employees. They ended up with valves behind tanks that were accessible if you are a contortionist...

that likely has something to do with it, but to remove it, holy wow...

Where I worked for my last contract I was placed at a desk that had been elevated for the woman previous to m, she was 5'11", so my feet were several inches off of the floor to keyboard level... we started to kick the blocks out ourselves and got into big trouble for doing a job not our own. Frustrating part was it took them four months to take my desk off of the blocks and that was after many, many, complaints to health and safety...whose hands were also tied...it is a strange system

the other problem I just realized would of course be insurance if someone were injured... big trouble there

Quote: Originally Posted by SerryahView Post

I'm all for if the government in charge won't do the job, then the people who put that government in charge should be able to step up and fix the problem (and be compensated as well). WE elect THEM to do a job, if they won't do it then F-em.

I agree to an extent...but not the compensation... way too many potential problems with that.

Tonington
+1
My manager just got moved to an office from the open space, and I'm supposed to move over to his work station. But he's 6'6" and I'm 6'. The desk and everything has to come down, and I was also told to wait for Maintenance to do it. Even had to make a work order fer phucks sakes!

Good point about the liability. That's probably the bigger issue.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+2

I am sure Section III, paragraph 6 subsection B of the Road Maintenance Manual says only Grade C gravel obtained from proper city sanctioned unionized sources may be used to fix a pothole. Selection of gravel must under go 3 tenders and 5 committee hearings per pothole in order to ascertain the proper vendor. Then an intake process is started to fix the pothole. First a project manager will be selected via proper HR selection processes and committees. Then the work order will be signed. Unfortunately at this point, the pothole event report which was initially filed is 3 years old and has been deemed expired. The contract is voided with a 75% penalty and the process starts again with the next pothole event report.

Sal

My manager just got moved to an office from the open space, and I'm supposed to move over to his work station. But he's 6'6" and I'm 6'. The desk and everything has to come down, and I was also told to wait for Maintenance to do it. Even had to make a work order fer phucks sakes!

the keyboarding isn't too bad with the height difference but the mousing is a nightmare...I did it for two days and my shoulders were killing me so we ordered a mouse plate from health and safety, so it could sit beside the keyboard...was told we had no budget for that...WFT...if I'm off on sick leave you will have to pay more than that for the day.... but nope

fukin' system...so we got an old cabinet and shoved it under my desk so the mouse could sit there...it was high enough that I was fine, but then someone else had to come over to my space every time they needed something in their cabinet...

it was the stupidiest thing to have to deal with...

oh, and I found out later, the carpenter that was the desk fixer was installing some kind of renovation flooring for one of the executives... and when he finally arrived he couldn't do the job because it would have involved lifting the desk first and it was over lifting weight so he needed help...I told him I would help...he was not amused...

took an extra 3 days... THEN when he came back we told him he had to add blocks to another desk as she was 6 feet tall he was p issed but we had requested it so he moved them from mine to hers and i don't think he even screwed them in...

when they come down on someone's foot it will be a safety violation...in the mean time she is just careful...

Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

I am sure Section III, paragraph 6 subsection B of the Road Maintenance Manual says only Grade C gravel obtained from proper city sanctioned unionized sources may be used to fix a pothole. Selection of gravel must under go 3 tenders and 5 committee hearings per pothole in order to ascertain the proper vendor. Then an intake process is started to fix the pothole. First a project manager will be selected via proper HR selection processes and committees. Then the work order will be signed. Unfortunately at this point, the pothole event report which was initially filed is 3 years old and has been deemed expired. The contract is voided with a 75% penalty and the process starts again with the next pothole event report.

yeah that sounds right

shadowshiv
+1

Wouldn't there also be a chance for liability if someone got hurt due to falling into a pothole while riding their bicycle or if the pothole was large enough (and perhaps covered by water from recent rainfall)? They should just be glad that a pothole was fixed.

SLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshivView Post

They should just be glad that a pothole was fixed.

Or at least learn how to take a hint.

shadowshiv
+2

Or at least learn how to take a hint.

That takes common sense.

JamesBondo
+1
good chance that no one witnessed the NB putting the gravel into the holes, he should not have admitted to it. Instead, film the city workers removing it, and send the video to the press.