Kidnapped girls in Nigeria

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Upon skimming through the thread titles immediately visible on the Forum I found nothing on the 270 odd girls who were kidnapped in Nigeria. My opinion only but I think of all the issues in the world today I personally think this one should take precedence as far as solving is concerned, for three main reasons- one being a chance that it can be solves and two being the dastardly nature of the crime and three being it could very easily be our daughters and grand daughters. Is the U.N. involved in this? If not, what f-king good are they? Is there a reputable agency taking the "bull by the horns" and making an all out effort to solve this? I personally think every country in the world should be making a concerted effort. If there is a safe and reliable place to donate funds, I myself would donate a couple of bucks towards it. Surely there is enough people who care!

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
The problem is not that easily solved. First off there's the corrupt, weak Nigerian government. Depsite the fact that many relatives of the abducted girls had no problems finding the abductors, the government adn army, apparently, can find no sign of Boko Haram. The presidnet's wife accused the whole thing of being a hoax to make the government look bad. That is to say, the government doesn't give a sh*t.

They are belatedly starting to be interested, maybe at the worldwide outrage, but more probably because they smell an opportunity to get money.

The US, Brtiain, France and Canada are all offering (non-military) resources. Mostly intelligence. I imagine it won't be hard to find this marauding horde. They will be smashed but will reform right after.

That said, efforts against a similar group--the Lord's Resistance Army--in Congo have been rather successful. Though the leader remains at large, members are deserting quickly. There has been a contingent of US special forces hunting them down. Apparently, though, creating refugee areas for LRA deserters (desite their horrific crimes) has worked. Don't know all that much about though.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The problem is not that easily solved. First off there's the corrupt, weak Nigerian government. Depsite the fact that many relatives of the abducted girls had no problems finding the abductors, the government adn army, apparently, can find no sign of Boko Haram. The presidnet's wife accused the whole thing of being a hoax to make the government look bad. That is to say, the government doesn't give a sh*t.

They are belatedly starting to be interested, maybe at the worldwide outrage, but more probably because they smell an opportunity to get money.

The US, Brtiain, France and Canada are all offering (non-military) resources. Mostly intelligence. I imagine it won't be hard to find this marauding horde. They will be smashed but will reform right after.

That said, efforts against a similar group--the Lord's Resistance Army--in Congo have been rather successful. Though the leader remains at large, members are deserting quickly. There has been a contingent of US special forces hunting them down. Apparently, though, creating refugee areas for LRA deserters (desite their horrific crimes) has worked. Don't know all that much about though.

Out of a billion and a half Chinese is there none of them who give a sh*t? I think just a few thousand of them could be pretty formidable!

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Upon skimming through the thread titles immediately visible on the Forum I found nothing on the 270 odd girls who were kidnapped in Nigeria. My opinion only but I think of all the issues in the world today I personally think this one should take precedence as far as solving is concerned, for three main reasons- one being a chance that it can be solves and two being the dastardly nature of the crime and three being it could very easily be our daughters and grand daughters. Is the U.N. involved in this? If not, what f-king good are they? Is there a reputable agency taking the "bull by the horns" and making an all out effort to solve this? I personally think every country in the world should be making a concerted effort. If there is a safe and reliable place to donate funds, I myself would donate a couple of bucks towards it. Surely there is enough people who care!
The UN is neither designed nor empowered to intervene in the internal affairs of countries. There have been times when they stretched a point to do so, but generally they don't. What exactly would you have the UN do? Send in a division from the army it doesn't have to terrain it doesn't know and a political situation it doesn't understand?

I suppose Canada could go in. Of course, if the U.S. did, the folks here would be the first (among billions of others) to scream their heads off.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The UN is neither designed nor empowered to intervene in the internal affairs of countries. There have been times when they stretched a point to do so, but generally they don't. What exactly would you have the UN do?

Obviously something concrete that they haven't been known to do in 70 years!

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
We have listened to the Islamic Bullsh*t
We have witnessed the threats to human safety
we can look the other way in the face of human misery
But We Cannot and Dare Not abandoned Children
to mad men.
At some point we must draw a line in the sand and say to
Islam cross this line and the world will intervene.
Yes it means bloodshed it means instability it means a lot
of things.
We have bowed our heads turned our backs and closed our ears
and now its time we said enough. You bomb rape murder and kill
but know this
We are not going to do something so terrible as to frighten you
We are going to do something so terrible it frightens us
For this is the only language these terrorists understand
If we continue to ignore it these things will begin to happen everywhere
Remember Rome survived only because Carthage was destroyed

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Obviously something concrete that they haven't been known to do in 70 years!
The Korean War wasn't concrete enough for you?

The UN has been remarkably effective, considering that it was designed to be utterly powerless. The only organ with any real power is the Security Council, and that is designed so that Russia, China, the U.S., the UK, and France have to agree before it can do anything.

Many of the UN's agencies have done a great job: the WHO, the IMO, ICAO, ITU, &c.

You're expecting it to do a job it wasn't designed to do, has not authority to do, and has a voting structure that allows any of the Big Five to stop it in its tracks.

A bit like expecting to fly to Paris in a Buick.

Why aren't you angry at the Vancouver Police Department for not doing something about the kidnapped Nigerian girls? The VPD has as much authority over the matter as the UN does.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

The UN has been remarkably effective, considering that it was designed to be utterly powerless. The only organ with any real power is the Security Council, and that is designed so that Russia, China, the U.S., the UK, and France have to agree before it can do anything.

Many of the UN's agencies have done a great job: the WHO, the IMO, ICAO, ITU, &c.

You're expecting it to do a job it wasn't designed to do, has not authority to do, and has a voting structure that allows any of the Big Five to stop it in its tracks.

Why aren't you angry at the Vancouver Police Department for not doing something about the kidnapped Nigerian girls? The VPD has as much authority over the matter as the UN does.

Well, I think the V.P.D. has a finite jurisdiction.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
We have listened to the Islamic Bullsh*t
We have witnessed the threats to human safety
we can look the other way in the face of human misery
But We Cannot and Dare Not abandoned Children
to mad men.
At some point we must draw a line in the sand and say to
Islam cross this line and the world will intervene.
Yes it means bloodshed it means instability it means a lot
of things.
We have bowed our heads turned our backs and closed our ears
and now its time we said enough. You bomb rape murder and kill
but know this
We are not going to do something so terrible as to frighten you
We are going to do something so terrible it frightens us
For this is the only language these terrorists understand
If we continue to ignore it these things will begin to happen everywhere
Remember Rome survived only because Carthage was destroyed

Lord's Resistance Army was just as bad and they were Christian. Then there were the yahoos and the necklacing in South Africa--wasn't Muslims. Then there them crazy Hutus murdering almost a million Tutsis in a few short weeks. Not Muslim. All black though. Maybe that's what you're getting at? RACIST!!!!! ha ha ha

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Zipperfish you are right they were Christians and we didn't do anything about
them either but this is becoming a direct threat to the stability of the future.
This has the potential to be worse than the Russians and the Ukraine issue.
The time has come to move the UN aside and assemble the forces required
to put these insane people in their place.
The UN is not equipped to handle this anyway We need to forget the niceties
and the rules of war and just go in and sock it to them

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State

It is the responsibility of the OAS to keep order in Africa. Over the years African dissidents and others have said they do not approve of "Blue Helmets" (UN peacekeepers) in their soil. Yet, for some reason, they disregard OAS military personnel and this is why there are so many problems there.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

The UN has acted as it was intended exactly twice.....both times it was pawn of US foreign policy.

The Korean War was set off only because the Russians had left the chamber in a huff....the last time THAT happened.

The First Gulf War was approved because the USSR had collapsed, and the USA was seen as the New Rome..........a power that could not be challenged.

That's it.

The Brits are probanly best suited to this work.........SAS and Gurkhas. Destroy Boko Haram.

In Malaysia in the 50s the Gurkhas were known for disappearing into the jungle and not being heard from for days......until they returned with a bag of heads, and tales of destroyed enemy bases.

They took heads of the Communist leaders for positive ID. Guess they didn't like cameras.

These are the guys to turn loose on Boko Haram.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Exactly.................There are 193 United Nations (UN) member states, and each of them is a member of the United Nations General Assembly.[2]- slightly larger than the V.P.D. -:)

OK, then why are you wanting the UN to do something when you recognize that they don't have the authority to do anything?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
OK, then why are you wanting the UN to do something when you recognize that they don't have the authority to do anything?

If I was you, Gerry, I'd retract that arguement as the annual cost to just one nation was over $5 billion.
"The first report was an eye-opener. The OMB calculated that U.S. contributions totaled $4.115 billion in 2004 and $5.327 billion in 2005. The State Department had estimated 2004 contributions at “well over $3 billion” — only about 75 percent of the actual amount." The U.S. has roughly 5% of the world population so I suppose $100 billion a year would be in the ballpark. A lot of money for not having the authority to do F**K all. -:)

ArashJ

Time Out
Jan 4, 2014
what sucks the most is, this isnt a new thing at all. This is a pretty common problem in many parts of Africa, Europe and Asia. This time it just so happen they did it more publicly. Everything about this situation is disgusting. I had a quick glimpse of the TV today. didn't get a chance to pay attention. Something about the nigerian government asking Canada for help? isnt the Nigerian government part of the problem to begin with?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
If I was you, Gerry, I'd retract that arguement as the annual cost to just one nation was over $5 billion.
"The first report was an eye-opener. The OMB calculated that U.S. contributions totaled $4.115 billion in 2004 and $5.327 billion in 2005. The State Department had estimated 2004 contributions at “well over $3 billion” — only about 75 percent of the actual amount." The U.S. has roughly 5% of the world population so I suppose $100 billion a year would be in the ballpark. A lot of money for not having the authority to do F**K all. -:)

No, I will not. Show me where in the UN's mandate it states that they have the authority to intervene in the internal policy's and problems of an independent nation without being asked to.

and BTW, I really don't give a shyte how much the u.s. pays into the UN. If they don't feel it is worth it, then they should bow out of the UN.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
No, I will not. Show me where in the UN's mandate it states that they have the authority to intervene in the internal policy's and problems of an independent nation without being asked to.

and BTW, I really don't give a shyte how much the u.s. pays into the UN. If they don't feel it is worth it, then they should bow out of the UN.

Not really surprising coming from someone who is O.K. with paying $150 an hour for labour!-:)