RIP Farley Mowat

lone wolf
+2
I just heard it on CTV Breaking News. Rest in Peace, soldier

55Mercury
aw

liked his stories of wolves 'n sh*t when I was a kid... I guess he prompted me reading...

thanks Mr. Mowat

BaalsTears
I loved Never Cry Wolf. RIP Mr. Mowat.

#juan
+4
Farley Mowat, there is a man who's literature will endure for a long while after his death. I have most of his books and I watched "Never cry wolf" a few dozen times. Mr. Mowat will be missed..

IdRatherBeSkiing
RIP Mr. Mowat.

Blackleaf
Never heard of him.

I've heard of Farley's Rusks, though.

Colpy
+4
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

Farley Mowat, there is a man who's literature will endure for a long while after his death. I have most of his books and I watched "Never cry wolf" a few dozen times. Mr. Mowat will be missed..

Absolutely!!

I may have disagreed with many of Mowat's political and environmental stances, but I read as much of his stuff as I could get my hands on.......

The man had a style that kept you reading...

And No Birds Sang is the absolute best view of war ever written by a Canadian. The Regiment runs a close second.

Never Cry Wolf was simply wonderful.

I was fascinated by his attempt at "history" West Viking.

From his books on recovery tugs working the Atlantic, to war, to environmentalism, to Sibir no one else could weave a tale like Farley.

Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

Never heard of him.

Your loss.......

Seriously, try And No Birds Sang (Farley Mowat), the very personal story of his experiences as an infantry officer in WWII

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Your loss.......

Not in my opinion, it isn't. I don't even know who he is. You can't miss something you never had.

Colpy
+3

Not in my opinion, it isn't. I don't even know who he is. You can't miss something you never had.

Seriously, try And No Birds Sang (Farley Mowat), the very personal story of his experiences as an infantry officer in WWII.

You go from laughter to horror.......

IdRatherBeSkiing

Thank you very much for your input in this thread. Now move along. Nothing to see here.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

Nothing to see here.

That's quite true.

Colpy
JLM
+1

Never heard of him.

Doesn't surprise me, you're not quiet long enough to hear much!

Twila
+6
#14  Top Rated Post
Named my dog after him because of his Never Cry Wolf novel.

What a sad day.

JLM
+2

Oooooooooooooh that explains a few things, perhaps a brain is included in that!

SLM
+5
Wow, that is sad news. R.I.P. Mr Mowat.

Never heard of him.

So you're both a tool and a troll. Not exactly shocking.

#juan
+3

Never heard of him.

Blackleaf you imbecile! Even in England one would have to be living in a cave to not have heard of Farley Mowat.

https://www.google.ca/#q=Farley+Mowat+list+of+books
Last edited by #juan; May 7th, 2014 at 12:43 PM..

bill barilko
+1

Never heard of him.

And he had certainly never heard of you.

Of course he was Welcome here-you are not.

Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

I may have disagreed with many of Mowat's political and environmental stances, but I read as much of his stuff as I could get my hands on.......

Indeed!

talloola
R I P, he will be missed by so many.

coldstream
+3
I read several of his books... West Viking comes to mind and his vivid memoir of WW2 Service, And No Birds Sang.. but i'm not sure what is deemed to be his best.

He was a Canadian original, a fervent nationalist and a bit of a wildman. Some of his causes were tinged with eccentricity and sentimentality.. but he was always genuine.

My mom worked in the publishing industry and used to delight me with stories on his outrageous antics and escapades and total unpredictability on trips to Toronto.. when nothing went to plan with what he did or what he said on promotional tours.

RIP Farley.
Last edited by coldstream; May 7th, 2014 at 01:10 PM..

lone wolf
The man's lived a most interesting life. In his humour, it's hard to imagine a man who walked across Sicily and up Italy in WW2

WLDB
+1
Unfortunate. I read several of his books in elementary and high school and actually enjoyed them. It was very rare for me to actually enjoy assigned reading.

coldstream
+1
He was banned from the U.S. for his association with "communists, anarchists and subversives" and for threatening to bring down low flying B52s with his .22 rifle. The U.S. lifted the ban when it became public but Farley refused to travel there "under a cloud".

All to his good credit, imho.

He wrote a book of his experience.. My Discovery of America.. to their everlasting discredit. (although he received many letters and expressions of support from Americans)
Last edited by coldstream; May 7th, 2014 at 01:26 PM..

WLDB
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstreamView Post

and for threatening to bring down low flying B52s with his .22 rifle.

Ha, he didn't strike me as the suicidal type. That would have been something to see.

Sal
+1

Never heard of him.

you should seriously check him out, I think you would be ale to appreciate him

IF you gave it a chance

wulfie68
+3
RIP Farley.

My first exposure was Owls in the Family, which my 3rd grade teacher read to us in class. After I read more of his stuff on my own; Lost in the Barrens, Curse of the Viking Grave and the Black Joke were favorites in my youth, and it went on from there. Anyone who hasn't read some of his work has missed out.

shadowshiv
+1

Instead of your snide remarks, why don't you check a little about Farley Mowat. He was a very good writer, and many Canadian students were lucky enough to read some of his work in school. I realize he's not British, which may play into why you are being so dismissive about it, but that shouldn't stop you from at least attempting to check out some of his books (or at least one).

Rest In Peace, Mr. Mowat.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshivView Post

I realize he's not British, which may play into why you are being so dismissive about it, but that shouldn't stop you from at least attempting to check out some of his books (or at least one).

Good luck with that!

no new posts