RIP Farley Mowat

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
aw

liked his stories of wolves 'n sh*t when I was a kid... I guess he prompted me reading...

thanks Mr. Mowat

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Farley Mowat, there is a man who's literature will endure for a long while after his death. I have most of his books and I watched "Never cry wolf" a few dozen times. Mr. Mowat will be missed..

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Farley Mowat, there is a man who's literature will endure for a long while after his death. I have most of his books and I watched "Never cry wolf" a few dozen times. Mr. Mowat will be missed..

Absolutely!!

I may have disagreed with many of Mowat's political and environmental stances, but I read as much of his stuff as I could get my hands on.......

The man had a style that kept you reading...

And No Birds Sang is the absolute best view of war ever written by a Canadian. The Regiment runs a close second.

Never Cry Wolf was simply wonderful.

I was fascinated by his attempt at "history" West Viking.

From his books on recovery tugs working the Atlantic, to war, to environmentalism, to Sibir no one else could weave a tale like Farley.

Never heard of him.

I've heard of Farley's Rusks, though.

Your loss.......

Seriously, try And No Birds Sang (Farley Mowat), the very personal story of his experiences as an infantry officer in WWII

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Not in my opinion, it isn't. I don't even know who he is. You can't miss something you never had.

Seriously, try And No Birds Sang (Farley Mowat), the very personal story of his experiences as an infantry officer in WWII.

You go from laughter to horror.......

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Named my dog after him because of his Never Cry Wolf novel.

What a sad day.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I read several of his books... West Viking comes to mind and his vivid memoir of WW2 Service, And No Birds Sang.. but i'm not sure what is deemed to be his best.

He was a Canadian original, a fervent nationalist and a bit of a wildman. Some of his causes were tinged with eccentricity and sentimentality.. but he was always genuine.

My mom worked in the publishing industry and used to delight me with stories on his outrageous antics and escapades and total unpredictability on trips to Toronto.. when nothing went to plan with what he did or what he said on promotional tours.

RIP Farley.

Last edited: