Father Arrested For Speaking Out Against Sexually Explicit Book

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
As Required Reading (Graphic Content)

Gilford, NH- A father of a high school student was arrested at a school board meeting Monday night after protesting the school’s sexually explicit required reading assigned to his 9th grade daughter at Gilford High School.

The book in question, ”Nineteen Minutes” by author Jodi Picoult, is about a school shooting taking place in a fictitious New Hampshire town, and it contains themes of student violence, bullying, and sexual aggression. There is one particularly provocative and graphic depiction of violent, drunken sex between two teens in the story on page 313. Click here to read the passage (warning: graphic language and explicit sexual content).

William Baer came to the meeting to voice his opposition to the school’s failure to send home notification alerting parents of the graphic content. “I’m outraged that Gilford High School would require my daughter to read this kind of material,” Baer told the Laconia Daily Sun.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
yup because if I've got something to say I am going in there and I am gonna say it, I don't care what anyone else's agenda is I am going to change the agenda and make the meeting mine because what is on my mind right now trumps every thing else and everybody else

why do I get the impression this guy is a class "A" a sshole

and it's not like the article is slanted in his favour or anything :roll:

we are so screwed...righteously screwed when even the facts can't be presented

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
So what was he arrested for? I suspect he did more than protest.
yes that's what i thought too....and they said there was not ususally a cop there so my read was...he had called and then threatened...they knew he was coming, then he arrived and the trouble began...they removed him.

but of course he's the victim here...

not!

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
why do I get the impression this guy is a class "A" a sshole

Well he did recently move to NH from New Jersey... it's a Jersey thing.

From the Laconia Daily Sun

"I feel that I'm in the process of being violated by the state of New Hampshire's education system," he continued. "It's not there place to dictate."

Ahhhh... New Hampshire. ;)

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014
I think the lil snippet is quite interesting and a good tool for education.
first up , she did clean up the semen stain or try at least , and she was worried about the mess,which shows character.
then the whole sex scene that started out as a sort of forced rape scene turned all nice and lovey.
so there is hope for this rape culture going around in schools.

America, who says they are illiterate .
i think this is fine book for young Americans to come of age with.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
the father could have taken this as an opportunity to speak to his teenager. His teenager may have learned a lesson he had not meant to teach. Lack of communication is a huge problem between parents and children. He just shut his child out.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Well he did recently move to NH from New Jersey... it's a Jersey thing.

From the Laconia Daily Sun

"I feel that I'm in the process of being violated by the state of New Hampshire's education system," he continued. "It's not there place to dictate."

Ahhhh... New Hampshire. ;)
If he's from Joisey, should it be "It's not dere place to dictate"?