Canada's biggest ghost air terminal to be demolished

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
via sda:

Another Trudeau brain fart bites the taxpayers in the a s s. Someone should ask Justin what his father was thinking. Answer should be interesting.

MONTREAL - The biggest white elephant in the history of Canadian airports will finally be put out of its misery.

Officials said Thursday they plan to demolish the $500-million Mirabel Airport terminal, once projected to be the country's main air hub, but which has sat nearly unused north of Montreal for 10 years.

Montreal's airport authority, the ADM, said the sprawling terminal will be dismantled but that the property will continue to be used as an aerospace facility.

ADM will issue a call for demolition tenders following two reports "showing that the terminal is completely outdated."

"Indefinitely maintaining an unoccupied, outdated and economically unsalvageable building would be irresponsible," ADM President and CEO James Cherry said in a statement. "Our expenses for minimally maintaining this building since late 2004 have totalled more than $30 million, in vain. Enough is enough."

Transport Canada has received two reports commissioned by the agency and agrees with the findings, says the ADM.

It would have cost $15 million upgrade the deteriorating building, which is packed with early 1970s technology as well as asbestos.

Suggestions to convert the 15-acre terminal into a hospital, a school or even an amusement park all fell by the wayside.

The Liberals under former prime minister Pierre Trudeau opened the airport amid much fanfare in 1975 after expropriating all or part of 11 villages.

With a terminal the size of Olympic Stadium and a property bigger than Montreal itself, Mirabel would have been the largest airport in the world.

However, separatist-federalist tensions torpedoed plans for highway and rail links.

The airport authority shifted international flights to Trudeau Airport in the late 1990s, accelerating Mirabel's slow decline.

Mirabel remains an aerospace centre, employing up to 8,000 people who work for companies such as Bombardier, Pratt & Whitney and Bell Helicopter.

Sun News : Canada's biggest ghost air terminal to be demolished

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Another example of Pols thinking they know better than the market.

"Mirabel International Airport ... will turn out to be one of Canada's greatest investments." -- Otto Lang, Transport Minister, 28 Feb 78

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014
Was this maybe part of the mafia construction scandal?
Lol all construction in Quebec is part of the "mafia /political construction scandal.
It's interesting that even honest construction companies had to pay under the table for the licenses and what nots just in order to ! exist !

They try to spin it as a mafia thing, but it isn't.
It's just easier to do this sort of Provincial "business" with mafia and corrupt organizations than honest people. the mob understand when the government asks for a payoff via buffers.

This is why the mob was so forth coming in these inquiries.
It was that they were the ones that had the sold called guns put to their heads by the bureaucrats, which are non other than the buffers.

Of course they fought amongst themselves for contracts and who gets to bid on what contract who gets.
The government would like the public to focus on that .
But that's the shell game.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Never built. Another example of gubmint trying to out-think the market.

Really? Last I heard the feds announced that they were going ahead with that project.

Lets be realistic though, "the market" is never left to decide where international airports are built in Canada. It is always a massive government project.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
The airport authority shifted international flights to Trudeau Airport in the late 1990s, accelerating Mirabel's slow decline.

Sun News : Canada's biggest ghost air terminal to be demolished

Even Sun News can't get it right. In my mind the only "Trudeau" airport in this counrty was,and is still Mirabel. Dorval was not re-named after PET until 01 January 2004, a lasting gift from Chretien to his hero just as Trudeau re-named Toronto after his hero Pearson and as a snub to the rest of Canada. I still neither refer to Toronto or Doval by Pearson or Trudeau, even if I have to accept a clearance to one or the other. I have heard controllers ask for verification, "Confirm, cleared to Montreal Trudeau" at times, and, though it is not my job, if asked of me I will answer, "Yeah, check cleared Montreal Yankee Uniform Lima, sorry, when I actually say the name all the clocks in the airplane stop".

QuebecCanadian

Electoral Member
Apr 13, 2014
Even Sun News can't get it right. In my mind the only "Trudeau" airport in this counrty was,and is still Mirabel. Dorval was not re-named after PET until 01 January 2004, a lasting gift from Chretien to his hero just as Trudeau re-named Toronto after his hero Pearson and as a snub to the rest of Canada. I still neither refer to Toronto or Doval by Pearson or Trudeau, even if I have to accept a clearance to one or the other. I have heard controllers ask for verification, "Confirm, cleared to Montreal Trudeau" at times, and, though it is not my job, if asked of me I will answer, "Yeah, check cleared Montreal Yankee Uniform Lima, sorry, when I actually say the name all the clocks in the airplane stop".
....and in Toronto it would Yankee Yankee Zebra? (I listen to Rush).

The Montreal airport is still considered the Dorval airport to many of us. It's practically my backyard.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Oh yes. What happened in 1978 has a direct relation to today. We need a thread dredging up every mistake every politician and government has ever made so we can quote it when the political party we don't like is running.
It would be so smart to find the mistakes of all time to discredit people who were pooping their pants when the previous mistakes were made.

Or we could just deal with reality.
No?
I thought not.