Kindergarten show canceled so kids can keep studying

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Kindergarten show canceled so kids can keep studying to become ‘college and career re

We need a cull.

Kindergarten show canceled so kids can keep studying to become ‘college and career ready.’ Really.

Kindergarten show canceled so kids can keep studying to become ‘college and career ready.’ Really.

An annual year-end kindergarten show has been canceled at a New York school because the kids have to keep working so they will be “college and career” ready. Really.

That’s what it says in a letter (see below) sent to parents by Ellen Best-Laimit, the interim principal of Harley Avenue Primary School in Elwood, N.Y., and four kindergarten teachers. The play was to be staged over two days, May 14 and 15, according to the school’s calendar.

One mother who received the letter, Ninette Gonzalez Solis, wrote on Facebook that parents learned recently the play was being canceled and started calling the principal, leading the school officials to send out the new missive. Solis wrote that she was very upset about the cancellation.

All but one of the people who signed the letter were unavailable for comment. One asked me to call back but then didn’t answer the phone. District Superintendent Peter Scordo declined to discuss it. Michael Conte, a spokesman for Scordo, said in an e-mail on Saturday:

Yes, the letter is authentic. As it states, the Harley Avenue Primary School educators believe that this decision is in the best interest of students.

I don’t have anything more to add for your consideration. Thank you for reaching out.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Re: Kindergarten show canceled so kids can keep studying to become ‘college and caree

God help us if the children became well rounded people and figured out what morons
these adults were. Puppet shows, music art and other social interactive lessons are
more important than anything else at times these activities teach children to interact
with each other and we don't want that do we eh?

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
Re: Kindergarten show canceled so kids can keep studying to become ‘college and caree

Whatever happened to letting children be children? Don't they realise that if the don't experience it now they loose out on alot like getting along with others. They want little robots with a lot of institutional instruction but missing out on education. Imagine having a population with instruction but no 'savoir vivre', there are plenty of those today we don't need any more.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

No fun allowed, no chance to take part in a play.
Nope- Gotta get ready for college.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

Every single one of those idiots need to be held responsible for their mind-bogglingly stupid actions. Like a kid in kindergarten has any inklings of what they want to do next week let alone when they are going to college. Let's get rid of anything that will stimulate their imaginations so that we can have a generation of dreamless adults.

I just have to shake my head...

Goober, I merged your thread with Locutus's.