LA Clipper owner about to be clipped again. Racist pxxxx?? You decide.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
LA Clipper owner about to be clipped again. Racist prick?? You decide.

LA Clippers Owner Donald Sterling's Racist Rant Caught On Tape: Report (UPDATES)

Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling allegedly tells girlfriend: Don’t bring black people to my games | National Post

Donald Sterling, the owner of the LA Clippers, was allegedly caught on tape telling his girlfriend not to bring bring black people to Clippers games, or to associate publicly with black people at all.

“You can sleep with [black people],” Sterling is heard saying on the tape, posted by TMZ as reported here. “You can bring them in, you can do whatever you want. The little I ask you is not to promote it on that … and not to bring them to my games.”

This came after Sterling’s girlfriend, V. Stiviano posted a picture on Instagram of herself with NBA Legend Erving “Magic” Johnson.

“It bothers me a lot that you want to broadcast that you’re associating with black people,” Sterling says later in the tape. “Do you have to?”

Donald Sterling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Controversies
Accusations of racism and discrimination

In November 2005, ESPN reported that Donald Sterling agreed to pay a fine of $2.73 million to settle claims brought by the Justice Department and Davin Day of Newport Beach that he engaged in disciminatory rental practices against Hispanics, blacks, and families with children.[5] In addition, Sterling was also ordered to pay attorneys' fees and costs in that action of $4,923,554.75. [Order Granting Motion for Prevailing Party's Attorneys' Fees and Costs, dated November 2, 2005, C.D. Cal. Case No. 2:03-cv-00859-DSF-E Dkt No. 454]. In granting the attorney's fees and costs Judge Dale S. Fischer noted "Sterling's' scorched earth' litigation tactics, some of which are described by the Plaintiffs' counsel and some of which were observed by the Court. The Court has no difficulty accepting Plaintiffs' counsel's representations that the time required to be spent on this case was increased by defendant's counsel's often unacceptable, and sometimes outrageous conduct." [Id. at p. 5]

In February 2009, Sterling was sued by former longtime Clippers executive Elgin Baylor for employment discrimination on the basis of age and race.[6] The lawsuit alleges Sterling told Baylor that he wanted to fill his team with "poor black boys from the South and a white head coach".[7] The suit alleges that during negotiations for Danny Manning, Sterling said "I'm offering a lot of money for a poor black kid."[7][8] The suit noted those comments while alleging "the Caucasian head coach was given a four-year, $22-million contract", but Baylor's salary had "been frozen at a comparatively paltry $350,000 since 2003".[6]

On August 8, 2009, the U.S. Department of Justice sued Sterling for housing discrimination in using race as a factor in filling some of his apartment buildings. The government's ongoing case alleges Sterling refused to rent to non-Koreans in the Koreatown neighborhood and to African Americans in Beverly Hills.[7] The suit alleges Sterling once said he did not like to rent to Hispanics because they "smoke, drink and just hang around the building," and that "Black tenants smell and attract vermin."[7]

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
how y'all are this mornin'...listening to the call, the fact he's still married and the biracial goldbrick is being investigated for embezzling nearly $2 million from him...this could end up on dr. phil.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
When you have his kind of money it will certainly become someone else's fault. And FOX News will prove it!

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Yawn... okay my Rant..

Canadians are far less "racist" than Americans in general. We have racists in Canada and there are racists in the US. If you are talking about the visceral hatred that existed in the 1950-1960 period against blacks... then no Canada has very very few. If you are talking about local resentments concerning cultural or minority ghettos then yes there are pockets of racism. Certainly the heavily Chinese immigrant population of Vancouver faces racism because of a lack of cultural integration. In Calgary Chinese are very much accepted and culturally adapted. In Toronto there is racism against Jamaicans because of horrible immigration policies and persons under deportation orders that have not been deported yet. In Montreal there is a bias against Jews and some Italians.

Racism in some form is inescapable, however it is mostly based on long time bias that takes generations to eliminate.

Oh look, New Canadians (I hear that term allot)

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
He is an idiot he is a racist he does not like black people what else he is
I don't know, One would think he would want all kinds of people to come
to his games and fill the arena.
I wouldn't want to support his views by buying a ticket but that is just my
opinion

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
With all of the shenanigans going on behind the scenes (the ex-girlfriend being sued, for one), I think I will wait until all the facts are in before I decide that he's guilty. On one hand his past behaviour makes him look guilty, but on the other hand the ex-girlfriend picked an opportune time to publicize this. It's no coincidence that it was released just in time for the Clippers to be in the playoffs.

Now, if it turns out that it WAS him in the messages, then he should be fined and suspended by the NBA. I don't think they'll be able to just toss him out of the NBA regardless of what some players (former and current) want. If it turns out it WASN'T him in the messages, then a lot of people are going to have egg on their face and will have to issue many mea culpas (or maybe even slander charges?).

I think this is just the beginning and will take a while to sort out.