TWU law school snub

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Intolerant tolerance.

The Law Society of Upper Canada says it will not allow graduates from Trinity Western University practice law in Ontario.

why do you ask? Simple, TWU requires it's students to sign a community covenant. In that covenant, the students agree not to have sex outside of "Biblical Marriage". For that reason there, the Law Society of Upper Canada will not allow TWU graduates to practice law in Canada. Is what he society done legal? Nope, but it forces TWU to fight the Society in Court and spend money unnecessarily instead of using that money for the kids education.

Remember, this is a private Christian University. The students going in know this and the vast majority of them are Christian themselves.

This IS discrimination.

TWU law school snub : Prime time : SunNews Video Gallery

Jonathan Kay: Maybe TWU’s critics should take a look at U.S. Christian law schools | National Post

The BC College of teachers tried the same crap a number of years ago and lost in the SCC. They gave the same reason as the Law Society for exempting graduates of TWU.
Trinity Western University v. British Columbia College of Teachers
SCC Cases (Lexum) - Trinity Western University v. British Columbia College of Teachers

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Bag of nachos..........$2.25
Baseball cap........$12.99
Watching bible thumpers get thumped..........priceless.

Now, look in the mirror and say, there's a nice hypocrite.

bit of an oxymoronic thing going on, eh? And in so many different ways. It's like an onion of intolerant tolerance.

Yup, yup, yup, and I will lay odds that they are too stupid to see there own hypocrisy. Kinda like nuggler.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I'm not normally sympathetic to religious institutions but in this case the Law Society of Upper Canada has it wrong. It is not up to them to police the social policies of institutions outside of their jurisdiction. It is within their rights to examine the curriculum and quality of education, from a professional perspective, but really if students from TWU have issues with the "community covenant", they are the ones who should be seeking to address it, within the BC legal system.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
I'm not normally sympathetic to religious institutions but in this case the Law Society of Upper Canada has it wrong. It is not up to them to police the social policies of institutions outside of their jurisdiction. It is within their rights to examine the curriculum and quality of education, from a professional perspective, but really if students from TWU have issues with the "community covenant", they are the ones who should be seeking to address it, within the BC legal system.

I'm glad you feel that way.

Makes it easier to allow Sharia Law ...........

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
http://www.lsuc.on.ca/newsarchives.aspx?id=2147485737&cid=2147498273

You can read about the LSUC decision above, as well as read the transcript of the debate when they were considering this new proposed law school. I'm not surprised that the vote was that close, Charter rights like freedom of religion and equality are often the two that seem to conflict with one another.

The simple fact is the action by Ontario lawyers is outside the law.

The SCOC has already ruled that graduates of the Education program at TWU can not be prevented from joining the BC College of Teachers simply because they graduated from TWU.

This is indicative of a disturbing trend in our society.....totally ignore the facts, the law, and what is right, and punish those that you dislike by forcing them into the courts.........as TWU will have to do to gain acceptance in Ontario.

That the LSUC could support such an act, which borders on persecution by prosecution, is absolutely outrageous.

Oh....and the "progressives" firmly believe in your freedom.........to agree with them.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Plain and simple. It's religious discrimination by the LSCU.

IMO, it is very unfortunate that there are not already Law Graduates from TWU that could sue the LSUC for discrimination.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Hmm. . . hypothetical. If it was proved that between 1990-2010, the University of Whatever Skool of Law discriminated against blacks and FNs, would it be proper to go back and disbar any Ontario lawyer who graduated from UWSL?

I'd say no. And I don't see how this is any different. If the school is discriminating, then sue the school and force it to stop doing so. Punishing its graduates is holding them accountable for the actions of someone else they couldn't control. And, as I've demonstrated above, an action founded on a flawed principle.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
If the school is discriminating, then sue the school and force it to stop doing so. Punishing its graduates is holding them accountable for the actions of someone else they couldn't control. And, as I've demonstrated above, an action founded on a flawed principle.

Show me how the school is discriminating. Please keep in mind that this is a private Christian School.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Show me how the school is discriminating. Please keep in mind that this is a private Christian School.
If a person can argue the law and pass the bar that should be the qualification .
Religious affiliation has no bearing .
IMHO.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
If a person can argue the law and pass the bar that should be the qualification .
Religious affiliation has no bearing .
IMHO.

Obviously, it's ok to discriminate against those of religious beliefs. All I can say is that I'm glad the SCOC has more brains than these idiots in the LSUC. It's too bad TWU has to waste money bringing this to the SCOC.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
The simple fact is the action by Ontario lawyers is outside the law.

There is nothing simple about competing rights when the Supreme Court has repeatedly found that there is no hierarchy of rights. Like I said, I think that's why the vote was close. If it's outside of the law, that is what the SC is for.

If, in order to be accepted to the law program, you have to sign a covenant that says you will not engage in behaviour, behaviour that is legal, then it's discrimination. Likewise if a college required applicants to sign a covenant that they would not engage in inter-racial relationships before acceptance to a program, that would also be discrimination. Likewise, telling a graduate that they can't be a lawyer in Ontario because they went to a school where they sign these agreements, well that's discrimination too.

In both cases, the discrimination doesn't actually stop someone from becoming a lawyer. I don't think it's clear cut at all, but then I'm not a lawyer. I have a feeling it will probably go against the LSUC, but things have changed since the 2001 SC decision.

As for you Colpy, I really doubt how sincere you hold this, given your level of fondness and respect for all other religions.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
There is nothing simple about competing rights when the Supreme Court has repeatedly found that there is no hierarchy of rights. Like I said, I think that's why the vote was close. If it's outside of the law, that is what the SC is for.

If, in order to be accepted to the law program, you have to sign a covenant that says you will not engage in behaviour, behaviour that is legal, then it's discrimination. Likewise if a college required applicants to sign a covenant that they would not engage in inter-racial relationships before acceptance to a program, that would also be discrimination. Likewise, telling a graduate that they can't be a lawyer in Ontario because they went to a school where they sign these agreements, well that's discrimination too.

In both cases, the discrimination doesn't actually stop someone from becoming a lawyer. I don't think it's clear cut at all, but then I'm not a lawyer. I have a feeling it will probably go against the LSUC, but things have changed since the 2001 SC decision.

As for you Colpy, I really doubt how sincere you hold this, given your level of fondness and respect for all other religions.

To be excepted into the University you must sign the covenant. But then, it's fu cking CHRISTIAN University. You don't want to be celibate, then go to SFU and fu ck your brains out.

Whether or not a student decides to go to TWU and sign the covenant or go to some other University and not have to sign, is that students concern and no one elses.