Voters will have to show ID in 2015

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

David Akin, National Bureau Chief

Apr 24, 2014 , Last Updated: 3:59 PM ET

OTTAWA — The government won't budge on a plan to force voters to produce identification at the polls, but it may be prepared to bend on some other aspects of its controversial rewrite of Canada's election rules, the prime minister's point man on the file said Thursday.
The rewrite is in Bill C-23: The Fair Elections Act, an act that has been vehemently denounced by New Democrats, Liberals and, earlier this week, 400 academics who signed an "open letter" opposing the bill.
Minister of State for Democratic Reform Pierre Poilievre gave a speech on C-23 at a hotel here Thursday and a handful of protesters waved placards denouncing the bill.
Opponents have zeroed in on Conservative plans to eliminate vouching, a practice that lets people vote without any ID so long as someone who has ID signs a declaration that vouches for their identity. About 120,000 voted this way in 2011, or less than 1% of the electorate.
"We're open to improvements with this bill," Poilievre said in his speech. "And very soon, the government will make clear which amendments it will support, but let me be clear on this point: The Fair Elections Act in its final form will require every single voter produce ID showing who they are before they vote. Away from the noise that is political Ottawa, everyone understands that this is common sense."

I'm surprised that many people actually voted that way in 2011, even though it only represents less 1% of the electorate.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I started voting in 2006 and have always been asked for ID. It makes sense to do it.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Well, there goes Justin's First Nation votes. Harper wasn't going to get them under the vouching system anyway so now neither will anyone else

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
I started voting in 2006 and have always been asked for ID. It makes sense to do it.
I have been voting for quite a few years and we always had to show ID before voting.

yeah, I've been asked to provide id for all levels of voting, municipal, provincial, federal, etc. perhaps I have a devious look about me.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Another outstanding law by Canada that should always be enforced.

It makes perfect sense.

I give you all a universal green thumb up!

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
So once again, another thread where everyone agrees.... show I.D.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I too have always been asked to show I.D.

It would never occur to me to go to vote without my I.D. and register card