Magnitude 6.6 earthquake rattles area off northern Vancouver Island

B00Mer
Magnitude 6.6 earthquake rattles area off northern Vancouver Island

A strong earthquake off the west coast of Vancouver Island shook coastal residents as far away as Metro Vancouver Wednesday evening, thankfully no casualties or major damage were reported to authorities.

The quake registered a magnitude of 6.6, according to the United States Geological Survey, and it happened at 8:10 p.m.

The quake's epicentre was about 94 km south of Port Hardy and 157 km west of Campbell River, according to the USGS, and it occurred at a depth of 11.4 km.

The quake was felt as far away as Kelowna and Seattle.

The strong quake was quickly followed by three more aftershocks, according to the USGS.

The first, registering a magnitude of 5.0, came at 8:20 p.m. and the second and third hit shortly after and registered 4.2. All three were located near the initial epicentre.

Emergency Management B.C. reported there was no tsunami warning for the West Coast, including B.C., and the Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre said a destructive Pacific-wide tsunami was not expected.

"We can confirm at this time that there is no reporting of any injuries or any significant damage, so all folks are safe,'' said Pat Quealey, assistant deputy minister for Emergency Management BC.

He said emergency-preparedness officials were contacted in communities on the Island's north end.

He said those communities included Port Hardy, Port Alice, Zeballos, Gold River, Campbell River, Port McNeill, as well as the Strathcona Regional District and the Mount Waddington Regional District..

Port Hardy Mayor Bev Parnham said nobody in that town was injured, but she said “pretty much everyone felt it … it was quite a shake.”

"Somebody said, 'oh earthquake,' and of course we then all felt it, and you definitely knew you were in an earthquake,'' said Parnham.

"I don't think there was even enough time to really comprehend because it was very short, like it was strong but it was very short, short lived, and I think by the time it actually registered in your mind, this is what was happening, you know, it was over.''

“Our infrastructure is in place and there’s no damage that we’ve been able to see,” she said.

Parnham said Lt.-Gov. Judith Guichon was greeting seniors at the Quatse Salmon Stewardship Centre, an interpretive centre and fish hatchery, when the earthquake hit.

She said there was no panic, people remained calm, and after the quake ended she left to ensure none of the community's infrastructure was damaged. She said public-works officials even went out to check.

"I think that the honourable lieutenant-governor will remember Port Hardy,'' said Parnham.

Shelley Siemens, a Port Hardy resident, was in her home along with her daughter and boyfriend when the shaking began.

“It was really kind of scary,” she said.

“I was in my bathroom and I have glass sliding doors — I thought they were going to come right out,” said Siemens.

“I ran down the hallway to my boyfriend and I said, ‘what the heck, did you guys feel that?’”

She said it was the second time she had been in an earthquake in Port Hardy, but said this one felt different.

Powerful 6.6 earthquake off Vancouver Island shakes B.C. coastal residents

WindWalker
These things are weird. Felt as far away as Kelowna and Seattle yet I'm just down island and never felt a thing.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by WindWalkerView Post

These things are weird. Felt as far away as Kelowna and Seattle yet I'm just down island and never felt a thing.

Your end was pushing.

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Your end was pushing.

I guess that's better then being the receiver..