Slavery Canada style

Cobalt_Kid
More abuse of the Temporary Foreign Workers program has led to charges of a form of slavery being practised by McDonalds in Alberta.

McDonald's foreign workers call it 'slavery' - Edmonton - CBC News

Quote:

Records from three employees show they made $11 an hour working at various McDonald’s locations and the company took $280 from their pay for rent, bi-weekly. Their remaining take-home pay for the same pay periods was roughly $350.

“[The apartment lease] contracts are signed by McDonald’s. All of our bills – utility bills – were billed [to us] under the name of McDonald’s,” said Montero.

“They brought us here and they are this big huge corporation. We felt that we didn’t have a chance to even voice our opinion to them because they had brought us here so they could ship us back whenever they wanted to," said Montero. "It was like modern day slavery."

Quote:

Since recent Go Public reports about McDonald’s practices with foreign workers, they said the corporation required all staff to sign an agreement, stipulating they would not speak to the media.

McDonald’s fired Montero in November, after he said managers accused him of complaining online about the company and intimidating other workers, which he and the other Belizeans insisted is not true.

MHz
How bad do we treat our real slaves (Indians) that we even import people to do slave labor? (so they have no work at all)

Twila
McD's is starting to look bad on all fronts now...

MHz
Except in Crimea.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

McD's is starting to look bad on all fronts now...

How could you say that, when they offer. . .

Twila
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

I know...it's a cutting edge thought ( way cooler then an outside the box kind of thought)

Those ponies...they're made with yoga matt material....just sayin'

EagleSmack
Enslaving people to work at McDonalds.... Geez.

Tecumsehsbones
But. . . but. . . ponies!

EagleSmack
They're just doing the jobs that Canadians refuse to do I suppose.

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

Who, the ponies?

Equestria has very lax labor laws.

Twila

Enslaving people to work at McDonalds.... Geez.

It's part of their full meal deal...first they make you addicted to their food...then they hire slaves...and then they take over the world. Soon we may have a new most supreme leader...

MHz

So it isn't the food that draws Obama to the locations.

Tecumsehsbones

It's part of their full meal deal...first they make you addicted to their food...then they hire slaves...and then they take over the world. Soon we may have a new most supreme leader...

Twila

I was thinking it'd probably be the clown...but I see no reason why Horse could not make a fabulous leader...at least they won't force us to goose step...and we might get coconut shells!!

http://www.sevenvenues.com/media/view/79

JamesBondo
+1
If paying a canadian youth minimum wage means "if I could pay you less, I would"

Then bringing in immigrant workers to replace the canadian youth really shows us how useless our new gen of canadian youth are.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by JamesBondoView Post

If paying a canadian youth minimum wage means "if I could pay you less, I would"

Then bringing in immigrant workers to replace the canadian youth really shows us how useless our new gen of canadian youth are.

Underage DQ employees in Regina forced out of work.

Taking jobs from kids not old enough to work? Those bastards!

eh1eh
+1

Nope. They are literally getting jobs ahead of Canadians and getting paid more.
The owner of the McDogfood said they were more reliable and would do whatever they were told to do.

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1ehView Post

Nope. They are literally getting jobs ahead of Canadians and getting paid more.
The owner of the McDogfood said they were more reliable and would do whatever they were told to do.

I'm sure. Otherwise they get a one way ticket back to Belize.

petros

pgs
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Yup and when every one in lala land was screaming at the top of their lungs " 8 bucks sucks "
My friends 14 year old daughter was working at White Spot in Kelowna for $ 14.00 because they couldn't find workers .
Go figure .

Dixie Cup
If that is truly what's happening, then charges should be laid and HEFTY fines allocated to these employers and the foreign workers need to go back home so that Canadians can get these jobs. IF that's in fact what's happening.

However, my understanding is that getting these workers here by jumping through the red tape and the cost is quite high, i.e. the whole process is quite onerous. The companies are also responsible for paying their way here and for accommodations (not the employee). Bottom line is that it is far cheaper for companies to hire Canadians then foreign workers so something is amiss here.

Hmmmm - could it be the unions? Nah, say its not so!

Some companies end up paying their foreign workers MORE than what they would a Canadian. Yep, something is amiss fer sure!!

JMHO

Cobalt_Kid
+1 / -1
This isn't limited to McDonalds, I know a couple who have a Tims franchise in Alberta and they bring most of their workers over from the Philippines and require that they rent rooms in property they own. The program is so under-regulated that it makes problems like this inevitable.

There are areas where there are labour shortages due to people going for the higher paying jobs like in the oil fields or tar sands, but companies like McDonalds seem to be taking advantage of this to create a captive work force which does smack of slavery despite of what its CEO claims.

McDonald's Canada CEO John Betts Calls TFW Controversy ‘Bulls**t,' Then Aims At CBC

Quote:

McDonald’s Canada went on an all-out attack against the CBC Friday, accusing the broadcaster of playing loose with the facts after it aired audio of McDonald's CEO John Betts calling the temporary foreign worker program controversy “bull****.”

And it's not like McDonalds pays it regular work force a living wage anyway which forces many people working there in the US to access public support which acts as a massive subsidy which is close to equal to the amount the company makes in "profit".

McDonald's Billion-Dollar Profit Is Awkwardly Close To The Amount It Costs Taxpayers Every Year

Quote:

McDonald's announced Monday that it raked in $1.5 billion in profits in the third quarter, up 5 percent from last year.

The number is strikingly close to the $1.2 billion taxpayers are shelling out each year to help pay public assistance to the McDonald's workforce, according to a report released last week by the National Employment Law Project.

So, yup there is a lot of BS here.

How about a program that supports relocating Canadians to locations where there are shortages of labour even temporary, it seems like industry has been calling the shots on this issue and it's about the bottom line, not unemployment to them.

Twila
I think the aspect in most business models that will always f'over employees is the requirement for increased profit each and every year. Are there any companies that treat their employees like extended family out there any more? You could feel good about your employer and feel good about your loyalty knowing it will be reciprocated. THE boss knew your nake and your families or at least that you had a family. Business has become a unfriendly robotic entity.

taxslave
Quote: Originally Posted by Cobalt_KidView Post

This isn't limited to McDonalds, I know a couple who have a Tims franchise in Alberta and they bring most of their workers over from the Philippines and require that they rent rooms in property they own. The program is so under-regulated that it makes problems like this inevitable.

There are areas where there are labour shortages due to people going for the higher paying jobs like in the oil fields or tar sands, but companies like McDonalds seem to be taking advantage of this to create a captive work force which does smack of slavery despite of what its CEO claims.

McDonald's Canada CEO John Betts Calls TFW Controversy ‘Bulls**t,' Then Aims At CBC

And it's not like McDonalds pays it regular work force a living wage anyway which forces many people working there in the US to access public support which acts as a massive subsidy which is close to equal to the amount the company makes in "profit".

McDonald's Billion-Dollar Profit Is Awkwardly Close To The Amount It Costs Taxpayers Every Year

So, yup there is a lot of BS here.

How about a program that supports relocating Canadians to locations where there are shortages of labour even temporary, it seems like industry has been calling the shots on this issue and it's about the bottom line, not unemployment to them.

Did you know that your link refers to the US, not Canada. Just more BS

Nuggler
+2
Set the TFW free............send em home.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+3 / -1
#26  Top Rated Post

You are an idiot.

Sal
+2

sounds about right...he's a clown

Spade
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

You are an idiot.

Understatement, RCS, does not become you.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

Understatement, RCS, does not become you.

Sometimes you gotta tell it like it is.

Scooby
+2
I think the most appealing thing for employers that seek this option is the prospect of the economically desperate in their rank and file. This would seem honorable if the motive was anything other than greed, but it is not, never will be.