Is there a way to control knife violence?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Is there a cure for stupid?

CBC News

Following the stabbings in Calgary and Regina, some people on social media have raised the debate over knife legislation and the banning of certain types of knives.*

However, Eugene Schreiner has been making knives in Saskatoon for the past 65 years and he said*a knife ban would be difficult to enforce.

"You can ban whatever you want, I mean, drugs are banned, everything is banned, but who can enforce it?" he said. "You know, are they going to take your kitchen knives away on you?"

University of Saskatchewan law professor Glen Luther agrees with Schreiner*that banning knives is hard to do.*

"You have to realize, the criminal code definition of a weapon is a difficult thing to define," he said. "What is a weapon, what isn't a weapon, and in the case of knives, of course, we have all kinds of legal uses for them. All of us use a knife every day to butter our bread, or whatever, let alone hunting and fishing and butchers and chefs."

There are a couple of different kinds of knives*currently prohibited under the Criminal Code. Those include spring-activated blades and brass-knuckle blades.

Across the country, the number of stabbing deaths has stayed fairly stable in the recent past.*However, knives are still seen as the most common weapon used in crimes.

According to Statistics Canada, in 2008, one-third of homicides or attempted murders involved knives. That's more than any type of weapon, including guns. In the same year,*knives were used against six per cent of victims of violent crime and firearms were used against two per cent of victims.

What do you think? Is there a way to control certain kinds of knives? What can be done to curb knife violence? What is your reaction to these stabbings?*Leave your thoughts in the comment section at the bottom of the page.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
We will have to make the national knife competency course mandatory, introduce handle locks and secure cabinets. I have a class two ticket which proves I can use a butter knife safely. I had some trouble for the first few weeks but managed to pass the final exam.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Absolutely- all knives in a household have to be stamped with a number and the initials of the person in household taking responsibility for a knives. All knives have to be kept in a knife safe which is accompanied with a log book. When ever a knife is needed for whatever reason by a member of the household, it has to be issued by the person responsible and the date time and usage and the name of the user and the time of the return to the safe. Valid uses for the knives shall include food preparation, food consumption, cleaning finger nails and whittling.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
quite simple really...register them and RFID each and every one of them and their owners.

mind you, we might get an DYI and underground shank industry pop up. but I uh, doubt that very much. yeah, I doubt that.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
" Is there a way to control certain kinds of knives?"

There may be but why bother? If someone is going to stab someone they could always use a screwdriver.

" What can be done to curb knife violence?"

Very little. After all the kid that killed the university students was headed for a career in law, had no priors and was by all I've heard, a pretty normal kid. Who knew he would go off the deep end and murder his friends?

"What is your reaction to these stabbings?"

That there seem to be a number of these types of incidents lately. Why? Who knows........maybe it was the Blood Moon.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Is there a cure for stupid?

No there is no way to control knife violence. Knives are a necessity. Yes they can also be a lethal weapon. Had this kid had a gun the slaughter would have been far worse.

I believe this kid was successful in his slaughter because he was a friend, he was invited to the party, he was trusted. This is the biggest violation of trust that a human being could commit. Had he been a stranger there may well have been a quicker understanding of and response to the danger they were in.

We will have to wait to see what emerges as his trigger. Until then, everything is speculation with few facts to back conclusions.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
You cannot control violence. Violence comes from within, it does not spring up automatically the moment you place a weapon in someone's hands. All that can possibly be done is to work to diminish violent crime, not eliminate or control but diminish, is to put the time and effort into youth before they become violent, before crime becomes a way of life.

But sadly there will always be idiots and low lifes who can't control their emotions who will seek to do harm to others.