Casual pot users may show brain changes that could foreshadow trouble

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Again, doesn't look any worse than what legal drugs do. If people know the risks and are willing to take them they should be able to. Their bodies, their health, their lives.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
These casual smokers seemed to smoke a fair amount. The amounts seem more than casual to me.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
But, like, wow, man....heavy....far out......."ere"..........goo...sh*t........like.......fukkin pseudo eh...........just pseudo. yah well, but...........er.............like.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
"What we think we are seeing here is a very early indication of what becomes a problem later on with prolonged use," things like lack of focus and impaired judgment, said Dr. Hans Breiter, a study author.

Longer-term studies will be needed to see if such brain changes cause any symptoms over time, said Breiter, of the Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine and Massachusetts General Hospital.

Volkow said larger studies are needed to explore whether casual to moderate marijuana use really does cause anatomical brain changes, and if so, whether that leads to any impairment.

The current work doesn't determine whether casual to moderate marijuana use is harmful to the brain, she said.

So go Fk off and stop wasting our time until you actually come to some useful conclusion, rather than more assumptions and speculations on things you admit don't prove or disprove anything.

Conclusion so far?

We got 20 people high.... one group got more baked than the other because we gave them more to smoke.

*clap clap* brilliant.... good use of government funding..... need me in that study? I haven't had any pot in two years now and could go for some free stuff just for sh*ts and giggles.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Perhaps 'casual' means 'with their feet up and reclined in a relaxed manner'.

of course!

The article was loaded with sentences and phrases that I thought were going to lead somewhere.

Here`s another report about the report about casual pot usage

Study Finds Recreational Cannabis Use Is Associated With Abnormalities In The Brain | I ****ing Love Science

The researchers found that the marijuana users, compared with the non-users, had structural abnormalities in gray matter density, volume and shape of two areas of the brain; the nucleus accumbens and amygdala. These regions have been implicated in reward and aversion and therefore likely play a role in addiction. They are also involved in the euphoria associated with the rewarding effects of drugs.

The researchers also found that some of the abnormalities were exposure dependent. Finally, the researchers also suggested that cannabis use may be associated with a disruption of neural organization in the nucleus accumbens and amygdala, but this is speculation.

These data therefore suggest that recreational marijuana use in young adults may lead to alterations in the core reward structures. It's important to remember, however, that correlation does not imply causation- the study can infer an association but not a definitive cause. The number of participants was also small and the study did not investigate whether cannabis use affected cognition as well as brain morphology. Therefore although this particular study is important, it also lays the foundations for further in-depth research into this interesting area.

*Euphoria is not something that pot makes me feel. I wonder what kind of pot the test subjects were given. Medical research has suggested certain strains containing certain levels of certain chemicals treat conditions better than others. I wonder if these different chemicals would also effect the brain differently.

All the fun stuff seems to do stuff to your brain...even fricken alcohol....
HowStuffWorks "How Alcoholism Works"

Good news though! Nobody is getting out of this life alive so enjoy this life as best you can.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The gateway drug, the one all of us partook of and experienced our first state of altered consciousness is sugar. Sugar is a highly addictive and harmful drug that has been well documented. One of the reasons alcohol is so addictive is because it turns to sugar in your blood stream. Does sugar get anywhere the attention that pot does in the media? No. Why do you think that is?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The governments and social agencies do not want to admit they wasted over a
trillion dollars in the last century fighting the war on drugs and have nothing to show
for prosecuting a bad law. They come up with new evidence everyday to show
they were right. I remember decades ago when they showed people withdrawing
from the deadly week. Never used the stuff personally but I believe when the
cover of these self righteous do gooders is flushed out into the open they will
recite the same worn out phrases they have always used and we will all move on
wondering what the fuss and expense was about

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
of course! .
You missed the LSD the CIA was putting out in the late 60's, nothing casual about light poles bending because your pupils were so big or the isle in the bar being a bit 'wavy' as you were wandering around.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
They keep bouncing around the "Possibility" of dependency on pot.... I've smoked the stuff from the age of 17 up until the age of 32.

No withdraws, doing just fine. I only stopped because of two reasons:

#1 - Having a child sucks your money away & I have to prioritize

#2 - Here in Australia, they're more fickle about weed than Americans and trying to find someone to buy the stuff from isn't very easy to do & you're made to feel like some crack head.

When they show news reports here about some meth lab exploding in someone's garage, they continually toss in extra clips from other raids of police hauling away marijuana plants as if a pot grow up will blow up and is a risk to you, your family and your neighborhood.

I'm doing just fine without it after 15 years of constant use of pot..... but I will say, once in a while, I'd sure like a joint now and then. Smoke a joint late at night, wifes asleep, sons asleep.... grab some cookies, something to drink, go play a video game.

Yup.... big danger to society I'd be.

And the report about how smoking pot affects certain areas of the brain?

Yeah, so does everything else on the planet. Caffeine, Sugar, Alcohol, Advil, a Stubbed Toe.... everything affects the brain in one way or another.

If marijuana didn't affect your brain when you smoked it, then that would mean it did nothing. If it did nothing, then why the sweet hell would anybody bother with it and why would governments try and make it illegal in the first place?

You smoke pot, your eyes go red, your throat goes a bit dry and you get thirsty..... then you get hungry.... you also find things funnier than normal.... and eventually you either want sex, watch a movie, listen to some music or to play a video game.

The only reason why paranoia is associated with weed is because it's made illegal and you get paranoid that some pain in the **** neighbor walked by, smelled something and called the cops because they're a party pooper.

The only thing I do now is smoke cigarettes.... make those illegal, make pot legal and the world would be a better place.

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014
I find that people that smoke it end up into it.
They don't seem to enjoy anything anymore unless they are high.

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014
Well if that was the case, then I would have probably killed myself by now due to my life being so unbearable & un'enjoyable without weed.
So you never have said any of the following?
watching a sunset "Awe man this would be so much better if I was high man!"
thinking about going to a movie"What for man , I'm not high , we can go tomorrow when I get some weed man"

party "We need some weed or this isn't going to be any good man"

Most weed heads I say this stuff to ask me how I know.
The honest ones anyway.

Weed is a time waster, gate way shmate way it's a waste of time.

It's for people who don't enjoy life and need drugs to fill in their blanks.

lots of hahahahahahahahaha.....what were we laughing at man..

but hey it's a free world and if this is what you want to while your life away .fine
celebrate mediocrity smoke weed.

The only reason why paranoia is associated with weed is because it's made illegal
Actually the Durtch did a study where they found three types of users.
It's genetic.
one type smokes it and gets paranoid, these people are prone to schizophrenia, and the weed brings out the illness in the form of paranoia

a second type smokes it and gets paranoid and these people with long term daily use can develop schizophrenia.

A third type never gets paranoid. they relax with it enjoy it and don't even know what paranoia is in the sense of expirencing it.
these people genetically are not prone to schizophrenia so they never suffer from the paranoid effects.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
Smoking pot doesn't do it for me. I find stone cold is more invigorating, relaxing, enjoyable, or what have you.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
You missed the LSD the CIA was putting out in the late 60's, nothing casual about light poles bending because your pupils were so big or the isle in the bar being a bit 'wavy' as you were wandering around.

I am glad I did. I tried acid once. That is too high a high for me.

I found pot to be a gift of the gods when my daughter was young and I was a single parent. Up at 5:00am every morning to get her to daycare and myself to work. Work till 5, pick up daughter from day care and home by 6:30. Enough time for her to have a bath, me to make dinner, eat, then read her a story and off to bed. 8:30pm and I still have chores to do, but first a hoot, to make the chores less boring, to be a little more awake (pot does not make me lazy, quite the opposite). Chores done, fall into bed 11:00 get up at 5:00am start again

Now, I still enjoy pot. I couldn't imagine smoking a whole joint to myself, but a hoot or 2 on the weekend, or before the gym makes what would otherwise be drudgery a little more fun. Plus I can dance better on the elliptical while stoned then I can while sober. Well Dance might be stretching it...