Calgary stabbings: 4 male youths, 1 female dead


JLM
#31
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

You could tell before? What changed? Everybody has tattoos and you can no longer spot a ruffian?


Well I just thought he looked like the last guy in the world who would do such a thing, another guy was Ted Bundy, looked like a choir boy. Just not the image of a "Bill Sikes".
 
B00Mer
#32
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

I'm pretty sure that is why guns were invented.

You mean to stop the knife wielding crazed individual...
 
petros
+2
#33
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Well I just thought he looked like the last guy in the world who would do such a thing, another guy was Ted Bundy, looked like a choir boy. Just not the image of a "Bill Sikes".

Why would you judge by looks alone?
 
JLM
#34
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Why would you judge by looks alone?


Because it's often the first thing you see when forming an opinion?
 
petros
#35
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Because it's often the first thing you see when forming an opinion?

If he had tattoos and a muscle shirt you would have expected him to be the one out of the group to wig out and kill?

Is that why businessmen wear suits? To hide their tattoos?
 
MHz
#36
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

You mean to stop the knife wielding crazed individual...

Yep, little did 'they' know that it would produce some gun wielding crazed individuals.
 
Durry
+1
#37
In this case, I understand a decision has been made to have a Crown Prosecutor from Edmonton prosecute this case in order to make sure there is no conflict of interest and to give the impression that juice is being done properly.

The suspects father is a high ranking police officer in the Calgary Police force.

But given that the father is a long time member of the force, I would have thought that the investigating officers in this case would have been brought in from another police agency to ensure there in absolutely no bias in the investigation. They could have brought in the RCMP or an Edmonton police investigating group.

Not sure I like what I see here???
 
petros
#38
His old man being a cop might be why he did what he did.
 
JLM
#39
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

His old man being a cop might be why he did what he did.


"Why" might be a little strong, but yes the connection did strike me and I immediately thought of Terry Driver the Abbotsford killer and rapist whose old man was a senior member of the R.C.M.P. on the Lower Mainland.

Quote: Originally Posted by DurryView Post

In this case, I understand a decision has been made to have a Crown Prosecutor from Edmonton prosecute this case in order to make sure there is no conflict of interest and to give the impression that juice is being done properly.

The suspects father is a high ranking police officer in the Calgary Police force.

But given that the father is a long time member of the force, I would have thought that the investigating officers in this case would have been brought in from another police agency to ensure there in absolutely no bias in the investigation. They could have brought in the RCMP or an Edmonton police investigating group.

Not sure I like what I see here???


See what? The case is only 24 hours old and I'm pretty sure appropriate action will be taken. Actually has to be taken immediately while the crime scene is fresh as far as the initial examination is concerned. For that I think there is a protocol.

Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

If he had tattoos and a muscle shirt you would have expected him to be the one out of the group to wig out and kill?

Is that why businessmen wear suits? To hide their tattoos?


I'm not saying impressions are always rationale, Petros, I just think people are lulled into complacence when they don't see something that is "screaming" at them.
 
petros
#40
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

"Why" might be a little strong, but yes the connection did strike me and I immediately thought of Terry Driver the Abbotsford killer and rapist whose old man was a senior member of the R.C.M.P. on the Lower Mainland.




See what? The case is only 24 hours old and I'm pretty sure appropriate action will be taken. Actually has to be taken immediately while the crime scene is fresh as far as the initial examination is concerned. For that I think there is a protocol.

What better way to get back at your oldman for being an as-hole than making him look like a sh-t father and cop who can't even keep his own kid in line.
 
JLM
#41
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

What better way to get back at your oldman for being an as-hole than making him look like a sh-t father and cop who can't even keep his own kid in line.


You've been reading too many comic books, Petros! Are you really going to make your old man look like an A$$hole by being a 10 times bigger A$$hole and spending most of your life in a prison or mental facility. I suppose if he was that stupid he could accomplish it by killing one person. Also you have to remember that not ALL cops are a$$holes.
 
petros
#42
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

You've been reading too many comic books, Petros! Are you really going to make your old man look like an A$$hole by being a 10 times bigger A$$hole and spending most of your life in a prison or mental facility. I suppose if he was that stupid he could accomplish it by killing one person. Also you have to remember that not ALL cops are a$$holes.

Yup. Do you really think he wanted to go to law school or was it his parent's wishes? He obviously got out of going to law school didn't he?
 
WLDB
#43
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

You've been reading too many comic books, Petros! Are you really going to make your old man look like an A$$hole by being a 10 times bigger A$$hole and spending most of your life in a prison or mental facility. I suppose if he was that stupid he could accomplish it by killing one person. Also you have to remember that not ALL cops are a$$holes.

He didn't say it was a rational plan.
 
JLM
#44
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Yup. Do you really think he wanted to go to law school or was it his parent's wishes? He obviously got out of going to law school didn't he?


Maybe he did and maybe he didn't. Wouldn't it have been much easier to say "f*ck you Dad, I want to be a pimp"? The way things are looking now he may be wanting some law school education for his own use!
 
petros
#45
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Maybe he did and maybe he didn't. Wouldn't it have been much easier to say "f*ck you Dad, I want to be a pimp"? The way things are looking now he may be wanting some law school education for his own use!

Doing the exact opposite of what is expected him is the biggest FU he could think of?

Think like a young adult and it makes perfect sense.
 
JLM
#46
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDBView Post

He didn't say it was a rational plan.


It's a conundrum for sure. Given the kid's supposed level of intelligence, you'd wouldn't think he'd do anything irrational (unless of course he flew into a blinding rage) which is what I think he did for some reason.

Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Doing the exact opposite of what is expected him is the biggest FU he could think of?

Think like a young adult and it makes perfect sense.


Well I have to admit one thing, if that's the rationale of his thinking, then law school isn't the place for him anyway. So maybe some good came of this, there is one more seat at the law school for a more suitable student!
 
petros
#47
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

It's a conundrum for sure. Given the kid's supposed level of intelligence, you'd wouldn't think he'd do anything irrational (unless of course he flew into a blinding rage) which is what I think he did for some reason.

He doesn't look like he'd be capable of physically confronting his cop dad without being tossed around like a rag doll.
 
JLM
+1
#48
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

He doesn't look like he'd be capable of physically confronting his cop dad without being tossed around like a rag doll.


What you are talking about was a very common situation when I was growing up. Many parents greatest concern was what their kids were "going to be" when they grew up. Lawyer, doctor, accountant, engineer were common- anything less was a great disappointment to some parents. Of course all that sh*t has long gone by the boards. Like I always told mine- do any job you are competent at that pays you an adequate living and above all do it well and it helps if you are happy at it. F**k, when my kid was in bantam hockey, every other parent had aspirations for their kid to be Wayne Gretzky II. Life doesn't work that way. We have no need for every kid to be a doctor or lawyer.
 
MHz
#49
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

. Given the kid's supposed level of intelligence, you'd wouldn't think he'd do anything irrational (unless of course he flew into a blinding rage) which is what I think he did for some reason.

Wouldn't that mean anybody with university training should never break any law? (and only us peons are criminal types) Left unsaid is the 'university types' start illegal wars, do the other white collar crimes that got society into as much trouble as it is in today.
 
JLM
#50
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

Wouldn't that mean anybody with university training should never break any law? (and only us peons are criminal types) Left unsaid is the 'university types' start illegal wars, do the other white collar crimes that got society into as much trouble as it is in today.


You'd think so but unfortunately book smart types are often socially and legally stupid!
 
JLM
#51
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Yup. Do you really think he wanted to go to law school or was it his parent's wishes? He obviously got out of going to law school didn't he?


I've scanned all the news articles and I think desire of his parents for him to go to law school may just be speculation!
 
relic
#52
Life in jail, not likely, "not criminally responsible" is a popular defence now. You can cut someone's head off and be out in time for lunch.
 
JLM
#53
Quote: Originally Posted by relicView Post

Life in jail, not likely, "not criminally responsible" is a popular defence now. You can cut someone's head off and be out in time for lunch.


I think Petros may be on the right track on this one, where you have "strong" personalities doing parental control to the extreme maybe something eventually "gives". I don't buy it as being an excuse. Sometimes in life you have to recognize you are the "hydrant".
 
tay
#54
April 15, 2017 will mark the third anniversary of the worst mass killing in Calgary’s history. But just one week before that tragic date, a hearing will be held to determine the fate of killer Matthew de Grood (external - login to view).

“I don’t think that the public understands that there could be a point where he could just be living next door to you and you wouldn’t know it,”.

Last May, de Grood was found not criminally responsible (NCR), meaning he was found to have been mentally ill at the time of the stabbings.

Every year, his status is reviewed. The next hearing will take place April 6 and 7 in front of a board made up of an Alberta provincial court judge, two psychiatrists and community members.

“The timing of the review is literally one week before the third anniversary of our children’s death,” Kaiti Perras’ father Gregg said. “To us, that’s an important day and that causes us a lot of trauma and anxiety. So this is just adding to that anxiety.”

Once again, the families have been asked to prepare victim impact statements to be read at the hearing.

“It’s not just about remembering Zack and Kaiti and Josh and Lawrence and Jordan. It’s about making sure this doesn’t happen to anybody else,” Ronda-Lee said.

The board has three options: they can order de Grood to continue treatment in a secure facility, grant him a conditional discharge or give him an absolute discharge.

But the families want more: for him to be monitored indefinitely.

There is legislation that could be used to make freedom more difficult. For that to happen, the Crown would need to pursue a “high-risk NCR” designation.

“The high-risk application, we were told after the trial that’s the next step, but afterwards we never heard about anything,” said Lawrence Hong’s mother Marlene, fighting back tears.

All five families told Global News they support a high-risk designation.

“I don’t want any other family to suffer the same fate that has fallen on us. It would be another tragedy waiting to happen,” Hong’s father Lorenzo said.

The families have watched what’s happened in other NCR cases where a high-risk designation wasn’t pursued.

“My worst fear is we are looking at another situation like Vince Li (external - login to view) in Manitoba,” Gregg Perras said. “I think everyone is aware that he was just unconditionally released after just eight years.

Families of Brentwood 5 victims want Matthew de Grood hospitalized indefinitely | Globalnews.ca (external - login to view)
 
JLM
#55
Quote: Originally Posted by tayView Post

April 15, 2017 will mark the third anniversary of the worst mass killing in Calgary’s history. But just one week before that tragic date, a hearing will be held to determine the fate of killer Matthew de Grood (external - login to view).

“I don’t think that the public understands that there could be a point where he could just be living next door to you and you wouldn’t know it,”.



Families of Brentwood 5 victims want Matthew de Grood hospitalized indefinitely | Globalnews.ca (external - login to view)


Definitely keep him locked up.
 
spaminator
#56
Matthew de Grood allowed supervised walks | Canada | News | Toronto Sun
 
JLM
#57

Oh boy! Whose f**king wisdom was it to take the lid off that can of worms! What's next? Four hour passes to go to the bar? Methinks we have a candidate for a Stella award!
 
Murphy
+1
#58
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

The vast majority of violent crimes are domestic crimes with alcohol involved and this is a perfect example.

Time to ban domestics.
 
taxslave
+1
#59
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Oh boy! Whose f**king wisdom was it to take the lid off that can of worms! What's next? Four hour passes to go to the bar? Methinks we have a candidate for a Stella award!

This is what prog governments do. Bastard should have been hanged years ago.
 

Similar Threads

17
Bosses: Male and Female
by Walter | Sep 22nd, 2007
59
Male or female
by sj007 | Dec 7th, 2004
no new posts