Kitimat residents vote no on Northern Gateway

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Those crazy daisies.... they make me smile.

KITIMAT, B.C. -- The residents of Kitimat, B.C. have voted against the proposed Northern Gateway pipeline project in a non-binding plebiscite.

The ballot count from Saturday's vote was 1,793 opposed versus 1,278 who supported the multi-billion dollar project -- a margin of 58.4 per cent to 41.6 per cent.

The $6.5-billion project would see two pipelines, one carrying oilsands' bitumen from Alberta to Kitimat's port, and a second carrying condensate -- a form of natural gas used to dilute the bitumen -- from Kitimat back to Alberta.

Kitimat would also be the site of a proposed two-berth marine terminal and tank farm to store the thick Alberta crude before it's loaded onto tankers for shipment to Asia.

Until this vote, Kitimat had remained neutral in its opinion on the controversial project. It didn't take part in the joint-review process, which heard from hundreds of people before a federal panel approved the project with 209 conditions.

The federal cabinet is expected to release its decision on Northern Gateway by June.

Read more: Northern Gateway vote: Kitimat, B.C., residents vote 'No' in oil pipeline plebiscite | CTV News

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This takes care of the nonsense those people want the jobs. They don't want the terminal
they don't want what is about to be forced on them by Alberta and Ottawa.
I don't have a problem in some respects except the company running the project is not
respected and there is little confidence in their track record.
The people of the area don't want it, the natives don't want it and many of those who live in
this province don't want it for environmental reasons. The majority of people I believe are
against the project but Alberta and Ottawa want to dictate a different agenda to the people
of BC
This thing is a long way from over.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

KITIMAT, B.C. -- The residents of Kitimat, B.C. have voted against the proposed Northern Gateway pipeline project in a non-binding plebiscite.

The ballot count from Saturday's vote was 1,793 opposed versus 1,278 who supported the multi-billion dollar project -- a margin of 58.4 per cent to 41.6 per cent.

The $6.5-billion project would see two pipelines, one carrying oilsands' bitumen from Alberta to Kitimat's port, and a second carrying condensate -- a form of natural gas used to dilute the bitumen -- from Kitimat back to Alberta.

Kitimat would also be the site of a proposed two-berth marine terminal and tank farm to store the thick Alberta crude before it's loaded onto tankers for shipment to Asia.

Until this vote, Kitimat had remained neutral in its opinion on the controversial project. It didn't take part in the joint-review process, which heard from hundreds of people before a federal panel approved the project with 209 conditions.

The federal cabinet is expected to release its decision on Northern Gateway by June.

Read more: Northern Gateway vote: Kitimat, B.C., residents vote 'No' in oil pipeline plebiscite | CTV News

41.6 %.........well that's a majority eh..........carry on.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
This takes care of the nonsense those people want the jobs. They don't want the terminal
they don't want what is about to be forced on them by Alberta and Ottawa.
I don't have a problem in some respects except the company running the project is not
respected and there is little confidence in their track record.
The people of the area don't want it, the natives don't want it and many of those who live in
this province don't want it for environmental reasons. The majority of people I believe are
against the project but Alberta and Ottawa want to dictate a different agenda to the people
of BC
This thing is a long way from over.
Yup. Crispy Clark wants it too. Between Crispy and Harpo, we are going to be fed the NWO, like it or not because them two are just sock puppets for the World Bank.

Scooby

Electoral Member
Mar 22, 2012
Alberta
I am glad they voted it down as well. Alberta is being transformed into somewhere few people are going to want to live. When it does, will those of us who lived our lives here been given an opportunity to stop or slow the pace of development? No chance for that, we are drowning in a sea of greed, with thousands more moving here every month.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I am glad they voted it down as well. Alberta is being transformed into somewhere few people are going to want to live. When it does, will those of us who lived our lives here been given an opportunity to stop or slow the pace of development? No chance for that, we are drowning in a sea of greed, with thousands more moving here every month.

Most of them are from Ontario... remember the days when you put your signal on and people would slow to let you move over, and you would waive... LOL

Now you put your signal on and the idiots close the gap, or tailgate, or flash headlights for you to get out of their way...

Fracking Easterners.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Would there be any valid reason to continue having a welfare office in Kitimat?

Maybe if people put the same effort into making the project workable as they put into trying to kill it, everyone would benefit. Surely to Christ if they can safely put men on the moon they can safely move oil! -:)

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
It is a none binding vote by the town. The local band was not allowed to vote. The town has no say in what happens anyway. oddly enoughnthere are a fair number of people in town that want the smelter to close too and it is the only reason the town even exists. Developement work is going on at a rapid pace on LNG plants right now.
right now I am in the construction camp for the rebuilding of the smelter. Busy spot with lots of union jobs.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
It is a none binding vote by the town. The local band was not allowed to vote. The town has no say in what happens anyway. oddly enoughnthere are a fair number of people in town that want the smelter to close too and it is the only reason the town even exists. Developement work is going on at a rapid pace on LNG plants right now.
right now I am in the construction camp for the rebuilding of the smelter. Busy spot with lots of union jobs.

The Feds are the final say.... Doesn't really matter if the town wants it or not

BruSan

Electoral Member
Jul 5, 2011
NIMBIES; ya just gotta love 'em.

Now lets see if they would offer up another plebiscite vote on whether or not their share of transfer payments get cut in keeping with them not wanting dirty crude going through their back yard. They, of course, would not want their share of the wealth from that dirty oil either I suppose.

Last I looked at LA North and it's credit card mentality, if by easterners moving west Boomer mean't Asians I might agree with him but most easterners of the Canadian variety I know, are moving east to the Maritimes due to cheaper housing and entrenched sanity without the Loony Tunes 'snowmobile in the front yard of houses in Victoria' mentality and condo windows made of sieve material in every high rise in Vancouver.

The only city I've ever visited where you had to line up to get a coffee in Starbucks (Pre Horton days) because those idiots were all using Visa to buy their damned coffees. Lived there for a time in the sixties while in the RCN, thought it was overrated then with the only redeeming feature being the far north a big game hunter's paradise. No more.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB

I love it in Alberta. After living in BC since 1975 I moved here in 2010. Since then I have made more money and actually worked less hours. I used to make $4500/mo doing the same job in BC, now I make $9000/mo. I pay less for cost of living and make twice as much, I don't know about anyone else but the math works for me. You want to live in BC and keep accumulating debt just to keep food on the table be my guest, I have reduced my debt by half in the last 3 years and bought all new furnishings and a $40,000 travel trailer for cash.

WindWalker

Electoral Member
May 22, 2008
French Creek, BC
I love it in Alberta. After living in BC since 1975 I moved here in 2010. Since then I have made more money and actually worked less hours. I used to make $4500/mo doing the same job in BC, now I make $9000/mo. I pay less for cost of living and make twice as much, I don't know about anyone else but the math works for me. You want to live in BC and keep accumulating debt just to keep food on the table be my guest, I have reduced my debt by half in the last 3 years and bought all new furnishings and a $40,000 travel trailer for cash.
Alberta is a great place to make money.

B.C. is a great place to spend that money.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
The people of Kitimat are obviously brain dead. This project already has a guarantee from the private sector of $2 billion to build the facilities that would create about 500 permanent, full-time, well paid positions. Then there is the 1000's of jobs to build the facilities creating an estimated influx to the local economy of clost to $1 billion in the next 5-7 years. Does nobody see the overall benefit of this moving ahead. Think about it for a minute....all the hotels will be full for 5 years straight, all the workers will need to eat and buy gas and will be spending money in local stores and bars and theater etc, etc, etc. I agree with JLM, if they turn down this project then they should also be banned from receiving any govt handouts and close the welfare & EI offices. Obviously they don't want to work and grow their economy so let them sink on their own.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Kinda makes on think that there is a segment of the population that are just born losers!!

"one think"

WindWalker

Electoral Member
May 22, 2008
French Creek, BC
A job? How could you possibly attend all the protests if you had to go to work? Taxpayers wouldn't be buying your coffee and doughnuts or anything.

Perish the thought.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Kinda makes on think that there is a segment of the population that are just born losers!!

"one think"

Don't worry about it, we all know it's a foreign concept to you, so we didn't expect you to get it right.