Told ya No Parking by the hydrant

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
There appeared to be lots of other ways to get water to the fire other than through two broken windows. It wasn't as if there was no other way to do it.

They could have crushed the car with a steam roller. That would have been equally as satisfying.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Way to go Boston Fire!

Quite legal. Public safety.

100% Legal and the jack azz got a $100.00 ticket from the BFD.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I'd never park in front of a hydrant. Not me Sir.

Besides that as an ex-military man you can't afford the hood ornament let alone the car it's attached to. ;-)

Now for the actual story. I think they could have easily run the hose over the roof or hood or under the car. They could have hooked the vehicle to a fire truck and pulled it 5 feet out of the way. What they did was legal but not necessarily justified and someone probably thought it was funny to smash both windows in order to teach a lesson which in my books deserves more than a little contempt. The unfortunate part is nobody will even get a talking to over this so the message is sent to all firefighters that it is just fine to damage personal property even if they don't really have to.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Pretty rough ?? Must be the Irish neighbourhood. ?

Guess again! lol

Besides that as an ex-military man you can't afford the hood ornament let alone the car it's attached to. ;-)

I could afford a used one!

Now for the actual story. I think they could have easily run the hose over the roof or hood or under the car. They could have hooked the vehicle to a fire truck and pulled it 5 feet out of the way. What they did was legal but not necessarily justified and someone probably thought it was funny to smash both windows in order to teach a lesson which in my books deserves more than a little contempt. The unfortunate part is nobody will even get a talking to over this so the message is sent to all firefighters that it is just fine to damage personal property even if they don't really have to.

Don't park in front of a fire hydrant. If there is a fire the Firemen won't have access to the hydrant. If you do park in front of a hydrant and they need that hydrant that is what they do and will do each and every time.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
there maybe other ways, but maybe the hose has to remain as straight as possible near the attachment so it doesn't cause undue stress on the hose? just wondering, don't actually know.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Perhaps. But if you're an a--hole that parks in front of a fire hydrant you get your windows busted and hose through the car.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
there maybe other ways, but maybe the hose has to remain as straight as possible near the attachment so it doesn't cause undue stress on the hose? just wondering, don't actually know.

That's what the reporter said in the news report. They tend to kink restricting water flow if under or over (although over the roof won't be much of a difference).

Sometimes time is more important. The smashing was certainly the fasted way from A to B.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Perhaps. But if you're an a--hole that parks in front of a fire hydrant you get your windows busted and hose through the car.

yeah, I can't figure out why you'd want to park there anyways. Why not find less expensive parking spot? Here, someone's going to call a tow truck on you if you do that.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

I think the hose will be damn straight whether anyone wants it to or not, lol. There's a hell of a lot of water pressure coming right out of the hydrant.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Those firemen; heroes or jerks probably caused ten to fifteen thousand dollars damage to that car, and it wasn't neccessary. Running the hose over the hood was probably the easiest way but they were looking for the most dramatic way for the TV news.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
There appeared to be lots of other ways to get water to the fire other than through two broken windows. It wasn't as if there was no other way to do it.
In public safety situations, it's any means necessary. The burden of proving it's unreasonable would be on the car owner. If you watched the linked video, you'd see there really was no other way, except possibly letting the fire burn until they devised a method to safely and gently remove the car.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
In public safety situations, it's any means necessary. The burden of proving it's unreasonable would be on the car owner. If you watched the linked video, you'd see there really was no other way, except possibly letting the fire burn until they devised a method to safely and gently remove the car.

No! Just throw the hose over the hood of the car and carry on. The only wasted time was used to break the windows. I was once a volunteer firefighter. This is so simple it is silly....:roll: