Psychologist diagnoses mental illness in woman he'd never met

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Psychologist diagnoses mental illness in woman he'd never met
A North Vancouver woman at the centre of a court battle with an ex-partner was unfairly diagnosed as mentally ill by a psychologist she had never met, the B.C. College of Psychologists has ruled.
Now Angelique Giles is calling for better oversight, discipline and punishment for psychologists who break the rules in B.C.
Giles's case started when her ex-partner presented the written opinion of veteran psychologist Timothy Clark in B.C. Supreme Court as part of legal proceedings surrounding their breakup.
The opinion stated that Giles was suffering from borderline personality disorder.
But a report by the inquiry committee of the College of Psychologists concluded that Clark had never met Giles let alone examined her. Clark's professional opinion, presented to the court, was based, in part, on three emails supplied by Giles's ex-partner.
To add insult to injury, the college says, Clark had also been her ex-partner's therapist.
Giles says the whole experience was "horrifying" and "devastating."
"He was his doctor. It's just shocking, like, are you kidding me?
"These misconceived ideas about who I was. What was I going to do?"
Giles says she was also accused of abusing alcohol and illegal drugs — none of which she says was true.
She complained to the college, which concluded that Clark's actions did not meet its code of conduct standards in that he offered the court a diagnosis "without any opinion or other direct contact with her" and that he "engaged in conflicting roles."
Clark agreed to a written reprimand and to write a letter of apology, which turned out to be two sentences.
"I regret your experience. I did not intend to cause you any harm," were the only words Clark wrote in a letter to Giles.
"I think it's a slap in the face," Giles told CBC News. "Not much happened — got a letter, got a sentence. That's about all that happened."
In its report, the college wrote it would have expected a more extensive letter from Clark, but nonetheless found his conveyance of regret was sincere.
But Giles says the case proves there needs to be better provincial oversight of B.C. psychologists and greater accountability.
"The laws really do have to open up to the reality that if these doctors break the code of ethics, they need to be responsible for their actions," she told CBC News. "I don't want this to ever happen to anyone ever again."
Clark declined a CBC request for an interview.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/psychologist-diagnoses-mental-illness-woman-hed-never-met-131051594.html

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Sounds similar to some bull**** that my grandson is going through and I have filed a complaint already, want to bet it goes the same way my original request went?

From the summation report after speaking to neither of us, really pissed me off. Made me think she was shagging my old landlord.

"Based on the fact that no reports of odour were received, either by the tenant or the inspectors, the lack of measurable sewer gas components in indoor air, and the fact that the basement was used only for storage and not a living space, it was my assessment that there is little evidence of any significant exposure. Further, the literature surrounding the neuropsychological effects of low-level H2S exposure is not as a whole supportive of this link, and in the history that Mr. Xxxxxx provides, there are numerous risk factors involving complex family situations and, for his grandson, early childhood history, that would be more likely to explain the current challenges that they are experiencing"

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
I thought you had to be a psychiatrist (i.e. an MD) to diagnose somone with a disorder. Not a very satisfying response from this College of Psychologists--a written reprimand? It should have been a full investigation by the College (with this guy paying costs if found in contravention), a requirement to take a course in ethics, and a public record so that any court to which he applied as an expert witness would know, in the future, what he did.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I thought you had to be a psychiatrist (i.e. an MD) to diagnose somone with a disorder. Not a very satisfying response from this College of Psychologists--a written reprimand? It should have been a full investigation by the College (with this guy paying costs if found in contravention), a requirement to take a course in ethics, and a public record so that any court to which he applied as an expert witness would know, in the future, what he did.

Actually I'd go so far as to suggest this type of conduct should see him stripped of his right to practice under the College. This is beyond unethical....first by "diagnosing" without even examining, and also the conflict of interest of diagnosing your patient's ex-partner in an ongoing marital/custody dispute.

That he submitted this to the courts as an official diagnosis makes it borderline fraud in my opinion.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
It is deeply disturbing that someone with this type of power and influence would do something so unethical.

"I regret your experience. I did not intend to cause you any harm," were the only words Clark wrote in a letter to Giles.
He regrets her experience? That is like saying sorry I accidentally blew your leg off I was merely intending a flesh wound.

I would hate to see his behaviour if he did intend to cause harm.

Terrible miscarriage of justice here.

If he had injured her physically instead of emotionally/mentally he would be facing more serious charges.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
If he had injured her physically instead of emotionally/mentally he would be facing more serious charges.
Like making it difficult to get treatment? (in my Grandson's case it was 3 big exposures to H2S and then at the end about 3 years of being in a place with a hidden mold problem?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Like making it difficult to get treatment? (in my Grandson's case it was 3 big exposures to H2S and then at the end about 3 years of being in a place with a hidden mold problem?
that is terrible, just terrible...it must beyond frustrating when minds are made up and closed to further/new input

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Nothing compared to what I feel towards the landlord and the owner. Then there is my own guilt about putting him in a place (14 years) that was more harmful to him that being with his crack-head mother.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Nothing compared to what I feel towards the landlord and the owner. Then there is my own guilt about putting him in a place (14 years) that was more harmful to him that being with his crack-head mother.

you did the best you could for what you knew...if left with his crack-head mother you have no way of predicting what the outcome may or may not have been...therefore placing blame upon yourself is not going to help him or you it just compounds an already bad situation.

sorry you are in such a bad situation...sometimes life is tough

not to mention, unfair

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
It's still a fact and efforts to try and repair that is slow, very slow and if anything I'm just more attentive to everything that people say these days. Doctors talk more like Lawyers and Lawyers try to sound like doctors making them both very bad at their professions..

Last edited:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
It's still a fact and efforts to try and repair that is slow, very slow and if anything I'm just more attentive to everything that people say these days. Doctors talk more like Lawyers and I Lawyers try to sound like doctors making them both very bad at their professions..
yes and it stops us from doing what needs to be done such as proper apology to this woman...with all the litigation it's no wonder his lawyers would allow him no more than 2 sentences... it isn't right but admitting fault leads to very bad consequences and being screwed over in very bad ways

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
My complaint was considerably longer than a few sentences and I don't care if the doc even gets a promotion (in that they will be 'wiser'. I'm after getting that report retracted so help becomes available again, if there is anything that can be done as being out of there for almost a year I'm think any recovery will have already been reached.