CBSA Denies Anti-Gay Activist Entry

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Don't let Canada slap you across the a$s on your way home loser....

LaBarbera, president of Americans For Truth About*Homosexuality (AFTAH), won't be speaking at the association's provincial convention April 11-12 in Weyburn SK.

He is still at YQR since last night awaiting an appeal.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Never heard of him.
If he has no criminal background I'm not sure why we should deny him entry.
It's the beauty of sovereignty. No non-Canadian has a right to enter Canada. Therefore, Canada can exclude rabble-rousers, pitchmen, snake-oil salesmen, bigots, and all manner of varlets simply because they're annoying. No criminal background necessary.

What business has the president of Americans For Truth About Homosexuality in Canada anyway?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It's the beauty of sovereignty. No non-Canadian has a right to enter Canada. Therefore, Canada can exclude rabble-rousers, pitchmen, snake-oil salesmen, bigots, and all manner of varlets simply because they're annoying. No criminal background necessary.

What business has the president of Americans For Truth About Homosexuality in Canada anyway?

He was hired by Born Yesterday moonbwts to spread hate. That is an illegal activity, especially when it is what you do for a living.

We've even shipped people (full Canadian citizen) off to be charged and sentenced in countries with even harsher laws.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
He was hired by Born Yesterday moonbwts to spread hate. That is an illegal activity, especially when it is what you do for a living.

We've even shipped people off to be charged and sentenced in countries with even harsher laws.
Works for me. You've figured out a way to criminalise at least some forms of knavery.

Is there no end to Canadian ingenuity? Apparently not.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
It's a good signal to others that Canada is the wrong place to spread hate.
As I said, works for me. I'm not being sarcastic.

I have reservations about hate speech laws, but no problem whatsoever with saying that people who have no right to be somewhere in the first place also have no right to go there and say stupid things.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I believe in freedom of expression but be prepared to deal with the consquences of content and legal boundaries.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I have a good friend who works for CBSA. The officer doing the examination upon attempted entry to Canada has great latitude in deciding whether a person is admisable or not. Reasons used to deny admission are...

1-Foreign criminal record that equates to criminal charges in Canada
2-Suspected entry for work or school without proper permit
3-Suspected entry for reason of claiming refugee status after entry
4-Suspect visitor may not leave in a timely fashion
5-Suspect visitor is likely to commit criminal offense while in Canada
6-Any other reason the officer determines will make the visitor's entry detrimental to Canadian society

The gentleman in question has a record of making speeches in the US that would be considered criminal hate speech in Canada therefore CBSA has every right to deny him entry. I would believe this would most likely be the reason used to deny entry and will stand up in the immigration court but they always have the option of using #6 which is a big catch-all of 'I don't like you or trust you'.

Personally I think we should let him in but force him to give his speech down around Davie & Seymour at about 11pm when all the gays have had a few bevies. I'm sure we could arrange for all the Vancouver PD to be busy for 1/2 hour around then and unable to respond. ;-)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
CBC News

Controversial speaker Peter LaBarbera was scheduled to appear at the Saskatchewan Pro-Life Association's provincial convention this weekend.(Americans For Truth About Homosexuality)
A controversial U.S. speaker who had planned to speak at a pro-life conference in Weyburn this weekend says border officials at the Regina airport have denied him*entry to Canada.

Peter LaBarbera*said he wanted to give a speech critical of "homosexual activism" but on his Twitter feed and blog*Friday he said he was stopped at the airport*and told he would be barred for violating Canada's "hate propaganda" law.

"The Orwellian experience at Customs dragged on for more than three hours as a formal document was issued outlining my denial of entry under Canada’s Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (citing the Hate Propaganda code)," LaBarbera said on his website.

He said customs officials*questioned him about the purpose of his scheduled presentation at the Saskatchewan Pro Life Association conference on Saturday.

They went through his luggage, which LaBarbera said contained*numerous books and literature "related to homosexuality (pro and con)."*

He said a preliminary decision was made to deny his entry into Canada on the basis that his planned speech in Weyburn*violated the country's "hate propaganda" law.*

LaBarbera said after being detained, he was released at 1 a.m. He planned to return later in the day*to appeal the decision.

LaBarbera's*planned*visit sparked an outcry around Saskatchewan earlier this month. Some say*his anti-gay views constitute*hate speech.

A protest*had been planned in Weyburn for today.

LaBarbera,*president of a group called Americans For Truth,*responded by calling his critics "Canadian Homo-Marxists"

According to the group's website, Americans for Truth's*mission is to*oppose*"the radical homosexual agenda"*and "stand for God-ordained sexuality."

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
I have a good friend who works for CBSA. The officer doing the examination upon attempted entry to Canada has great latitude in deciding whether a person is admisable or not. Reasons used to deny admission are...

1-Foreign criminal record that equates to criminal charges in Canada
2-Suspected entry for work or school without proper permit
3-Suspected entry for reason of claiming refugee status after entry
4-Suspect visitor may not leave in a timely fashion
5-Suspect visitor is likely to commit criminal offense while in Canada
6-Any other reason the officer determines will make the visitor's entry detrimental to Canadian society

The gentleman in question has a record of making speeches in the US that would be considered criminal hate speech in Canada therefore CBSA has every right to deny him entry. I would believe this would most likely be the reason used to deny entry and will stand up in the immigration court but they always have the option of using #6 which is a big catch-all of 'I don't like you or trust you'.

Personally I think we should let him in but force him to give his speech down around Davie & Seymour at about 11pm when all the gays have had a few bevies. I'm sure we could arrange for all the Vancouver PD to be busy for 1/2 hour around then and unable to respond. ;-)

Why not get rid of the first five. #6 is all inclusive.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Why not get rid of the first five. #6 is all inclusive.

The first five are there because they are very hard to appeal in an immigration hearing. #6 is rarely used but there to cover anything not specifically mentioned in the first five and is much easier to appeal. All that said we are not a white supremacist, bible thumping country so I have no problem keeping hate-mongers and idiots out. Legally, according the immigration act, we could deny entry to the POTUS simply because he isn't a Canadian citizen and that is how it should be!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I don't support this guys message, but I support his right to express it. Free Speech man.

and no one is stifling his free speech. He can spout off in his own Country all he wants. Free speech does not mean I have to let the guy into my house to spout his crap.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I don't support this guys message, but I support his right to express it. Free Speech man.

I'll agree to let him in and spew his vitriolic message under free speech if you agree I, or anyone else with close ties to the gay community, is free to beat the f*cker within an inch of his life and dump him back in the US to get treatment. Only seems fair to me that if he can promote hatred and violence towards gays I can give him a taste of it.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I'll agree to let him in and spew his vitriolic message under free speech if you agree I, or anyone else with close ties to the gay community, is free to beat the f*cker within an inch of his life and dump him back in the US to get treatment. Only seems fair to me that if he can promote hatred and violence towards gays I can give him a taste of it.

Do you have anything to indicate that this guy is promoting violence toward gays?