CBSA Denies Anti-Gay Activist Entry

petros
Don't let Canada slap you across the a$s on your way home loser....

LaBarbera, president of Americans For Truth About*Homosexuality (AFTAH), won't be speaking at the association's provincial convention April 11-12 in Weyburn SK.

He is still at YQR since last night awaiting an appeal.

Retired_Can_Soldier
Never heard of him.
If he has no criminal background I'm not sure why we should deny him entry.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

Never heard of him.

Canada's hate propaganda laws say no way Jose.

Retired_Can_Soldier
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Canada's hate propaganda laws say no way Jose.

I guess I'd have to see what this guy is about before I could make an educated statement.

I'm not a big fan of our Hate Speech Laws.

petros
+1
This is the only story so far. I'll post more as they come out.

mobile.rawstory.com/all/2014-...opaganda-law#1 (external - login to view)

I guess I'd have to see what this guy is about before I could make an educated statement.

I'm not a big fan of our Hate Speech Laws.

He's a flaming Born Yesterday. Zealot.

In this case the laws and CBSA were spot on when nailing this guy.

Tecumsehsbones

Never heard of him.

It's the beauty of sovereignty. No non-Canadian has a right to enter Canada. Therefore, Canada can exclude rabble-rousers, pitchmen, snake-oil salesmen, bigots, and all manner of varlets simply because they're annoying. No criminal background necessary.

What business has the president of Americans For Truth About Homosexuality in Canada anyway?

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

It's the beauty of sovereignty. No non-Canadian has a right to enter Canada. Therefore, Canada can exclude rabble-rousers, pitchmen, snake-oil salesmen, bigots, and all manner of varlets simply because they're annoying. No criminal background necessary.

What business has the president of Americans For Truth About Homosexuality in Canada anyway?

He was hired by Born Yesterday moonbwts to spread hate. That is an illegal activity, especially when it is what you do for a living.

We've even shipped people (full Canadian citizen) off to be charged and sentenced in countries with even harsher laws.

Tecumsehsbones

He was hired by Born Yesterday moonbwts to spread hate. That is an illegal activity, especially when it is what you do for a living.

We've even shipped people off to be charged and sentenced in countries with even harsher laws.

Works for me. You've figured out a way to criminalise at least some forms of knavery.

Is there no end to Canadian ingenuity? Apparently not.

petros
It's a good signal to others that Canada is the wrong place to spread hate.

Tecumsehsbones
+1

It's a good signal to others that Canada is the wrong place to spread hate.

As I said, works for me. I'm not being sarcastic.

I have reservations about hate speech laws, but no problem whatsoever with saying that people who have no right to be somewhere in the first place also have no right to go there and say stupid things.

petros
I believe in freedom of expression but be prepared to deal with the consquences of content and legal boundaries.

PoliticalNick
+2
#12  Top Rated Post
I have a good friend who works for CBSA. The officer doing the examination upon attempted entry to Canada has great latitude in deciding whether a person is admisable or not. Reasons used to deny admission are...

1-Foreign criminal record that equates to criminal charges in Canada
2-Suspected entry for work or school without proper permit
3-Suspected entry for reason of claiming refugee status after entry
4-Suspect visitor may not leave in a timely fashion
5-Suspect visitor is likely to commit criminal offense while in Canada
6-Any other reason the officer determines will make the visitor's entry detrimental to Canadian society

The gentleman in question has a record of making speeches in the US that would be considered criminal hate speech in Canada therefore CBSA has every right to deny him entry. I would believe this would most likely be the reason used to deny entry and will stand up in the immigration court but they always have the option of using #6 which is a big catch-all of 'I don't like you or trust you'.

Personally I think we should let him in but force him to give his speech down around Davie & Seymour at about 11pm when all the gays have had a few bevies. I'm sure we could arrange for all the Vancouver PD to be busy for 1/2 hour around then and unable to respond.

petros
CBC News

Controversial speaker Peter LaBarbera was scheduled to appear at the Saskatchewan Pro-Life Association's provincial convention this weekend.(Americans For Truth About Homosexuality)
A controversial U.S. speaker who had planned to speak at a pro-life conference in Weyburn this weekend says border officials at the Regina airport have denied him*entry to Canada.

Peter LaBarbera*said he wanted to give a speech critical of "homosexual activism" but on his Twitter feed and blog*Friday he said he was stopped at the airport*and told he would be barred for violating Canada's "hate propaganda" law.

"The Orwellian experience at Customs dragged on for more than three hours as a formal document was issued outlining my denial of entry under Canada’s Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (citing the Hate Propaganda code)," LaBarbera said on his website.

He said customs officials*questioned him about the purpose of his scheduled presentation at the Saskatchewan Pro Life Association conference on Saturday.

They went through his luggage, which LaBarbera said contained*numerous books and literature "related to homosexuality (pro and con)."*

He said a preliminary decision was made to deny his entry into Canada on the basis that his planned speech in Weyburn*violated the country's "hate propaganda" law.*

LaBarbera said after being detained, he was released at 1 a.m. He planned to return later in the day*to appeal the decision.

LaBarbera's*planned*visit sparked an outcry around Saskatchewan earlier this month. Some say*his anti-gay views constitute*hate speech.

A protest*had been planned in Weyburn for today.

LaBarbera,*president of a group called Americans For Truth,*responded by calling his critics "Canadian Homo-Marxists"

According to the group's website, Americans for Truth's*mission is to*oppose*"the radical homosexual agenda"*and "stand for God-ordained sexuality."

Zipperfish
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNickView Post

I have a good friend who works for CBSA. The officer doing the examination upon attempted entry to Canada has great latitude in deciding whether a person is admisable or not. Reasons used to deny admission are...

1-Foreign criminal record that equates to criminal charges in Canada
2-Suspected entry for work or school without proper permit
3-Suspected entry for reason of claiming refugee status after entry
4-Suspect visitor may not leave in a timely fashion
5-Suspect visitor is likely to commit criminal offense while in Canada
6-Any other reason the officer determines will make the visitor's entry detrimental to Canadian society

The gentleman in question has a record of making speeches in the US that would be considered criminal hate speech in Canada therefore CBSA has every right to deny him entry. I would believe this would most likely be the reason used to deny entry and will stand up in the immigration court but they always have the option of using #6 which is a big catch-all of 'I don't like you or trust you'.

Personally I think we should let him in but force him to give his speech down around Davie & Seymour at about 11pm when all the gays have had a few bevies. I'm sure we could arrange for all the Vancouver PD to be busy for 1/2 hour around then and unable to respond.

Why not get rid of the first five. #6 is all inclusive.

PoliticalNick
Quote: Originally Posted by ZipperfishView Post

Why not get rid of the first five. #6 is all inclusive.

The first five are there because they are very hard to appeal in an immigration hearing. #6 is rarely used but there to cover anything not specifically mentioned in the first five and is much easier to appeal. All that said we are not a white supremacist, bible thumping country so I have no problem keeping hate-mongers and idiots out. Legally, according the immigration act, we could deny entry to the POTUS simply because he isn't a Canadian citizen and that is how it should be!

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
I don't support this guys message, but I support his right to express it. Free Speech man.

gerryh
+2

I don't support this guys message, but I support his right to express it. Free Speech man.

and no one is stifling his free speech. He can spout off in his own Country all he wants. Free speech does not mean I have to let the guy into my house to spout his crap.

PoliticalNick

I'll agree to let him in and spew his vitriolic message under free speech if you agree I, or anyone else with close ties to the gay community, is free to beat the f*cker within an inch of his life and dump him back in the US to get treatment. Only seems fair to me that if he can promote hatred and violence towards gays I can give him a taste of it.

Locutus
+1
Anti-gay activist allowed into Canada after delay

Anti-gay activist allowed into Canada after delay | CTV Regina News (external - login to view)

So let the dude blather on. Then he goes back home.

Retired_Can_Soldier

I'll agree to let him in and spew his vitriolic message under free speech if you agree I, or anyone else with close ties to the gay community, is free to beat the f*cker within an inch of his life and dump him back in the US to get treatment. Only seems fair to me that if he can promote hatred and violence towards gays I can give him a taste of it.

Do you have anything to indicate that this guy is promoting violence toward gays?

PoliticalNick

Do you have anything to indicate that this guy is promoting violence toward gays?

Not specifically but then again he does seem to promote state-sponsored discrimination and that is good enough reason for me to keep him out.

I support free speech but only to a limit. Hate speech and propaganda should be treated just like inciting a riot or yelling fire in a crowded theater, we don't accept it here! People that promote his type of agenda are just not welcome in Canada and why CBSA has let him in now is beyond me. We don't need any other reason to deny entry other than 'you aren't Canadian' and that should be the end of it. He certainly isn't seeking political asylum or refugee status so ship him back to his homeland and be done with him.

Then again maybe letting him in to give his speech isn't so bad as we could then arrest him for hate speech and toss his a$$ in prison for a few years.

petros
then again maybe letting him in to give his speech isn't so bad as we could then arrest him for hate speech and toss his a$$ in prison for a few yearsHe'll be watched and monitored and if crosses a line busted.

DaSleeper
I support free speech but only if it's politically correct and in line with my personal views......

And I'm also a hypocrite......

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

I support free speech but only if it's politically correct and in line with my personal views......

And I'm also a hypocrite......

How about you expand on that. I don't think anyone that has posted, so far, fits your bill.

and yes, sometimes you are.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Not specifically but then again he does seem to promote state-sponsored discrimination and that is good enough reason for me to keep him out.

Now wait a minute, you just said this guy advocates violence against gays.

Is that not exactly the same thing you are accusing him of?

PoliticalNick

I haven't read all his stuff or heard him speak so I can't say with certainty he promotes violence but given the general tone of his message I would not be at all surprised if he did so to groups of like minded people. It just seems like a natural logical extension.

gerryh

I support free speech but only to a limit. Hate speech and propaganda should be treated just like inciting a riot or yelling fire in a crowded theater, we don't accept it here! People that promote his type of agenda are just not welcome in Canada and why CBSA has let him in now is beyond me. We don't need any other reason to deny entry other than 'you aren't Canadian' and that should be the end of it. He certainly isn't seeking political asylum or refugee status so ship him back to his homeland and be done with him.

Then again maybe letting him in to give his speech isn't so bad as we could then arrest him for hate speech and toss his a$$ in prison for a few years.

I haven't read all his stuff or heard him speak so I can't say with certainty he promotes violence but given the general tone of his message I would not be at all surprised if he did so to groups of like minded people. It just seems like a natural logical extension.

Game.......set.........and the match goes to RCS. Thanks for playing.

PoliticalNick
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

Game.......set.........and the match goes to RCS. Thanks for playing.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Yeah, but by your very own words you were advocating violence against him. Is that not a form of hate speech in itself?

gerryh

Yeah, but by your very own words you were advocating violence against him. Is that not a form of hate speech in itself?

It there not a law in Canada concerning making threats of physical harm?

no new posts