Report warns pancake syrups in U.S. may cause cancer

Sparrow
+1
American pancake and waffle lovers who consume large quantities of syrup containing caramel colour may be putting themselves at a higher risk of developing cancer, a new report reveals.
Caramel colour is often used to give imitation maple syrups in the U.S. their amber hue common in more expensive pure maple syrups.
Consumer Reports, an American magazine published by the Consumers Union, says that some types of caramel colour contain 4-MeI, a potential carcinogen.

Read more: Report warns pancake syrups in U.S. may cause cancer; advises choosing real maple syrup instead | CTV News (external - login to view)

When plan to order pancakes in a restaurant I also ask if they have real maple syrup, the imitation in blaaaaa.

Sal
+2
#2  Top Rated Post
I'm kinda feeling like a pancake now...anything with the word cake in it and I'm so there...

Sparrow
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

I'm kinda feeling like a pancake now...anything with the word cake in it and I'm so there...

Oh boy you are making me hungry. YUMMMMMMMMY. I usually make blueberry pancakes the pile on fruit and a good helping of maple syrup.

Sal
Quote: Originally Posted by SparrowView Post

Oh boy you are making me hungry. YUMMMMMMMMY. I usually make blueberry pancakes the pile on fruit and a good helping of maple syrup.

tell you what, you work on that, I'll head out the door and be right there... can ya put the coffee on too...

Sparrow
+1

tell you what, you work on that, I'll head out the door and be right there... can ya put the coffee on too...

Coffee will be waiting when you arrive.

bill barilko
+1
Mexicans consume a lot of that crap as well it's popularly known as 'Mable' believe it or not.

MHz

When plan to order pancakes in a restaurant I also ask if they have real maple syrup, the imitation in blaaaaa.

What about in the Lounge? You know the 40% + stuff.

JLM
Is it any more dangerous than plum jam?

MHz
Beet wine will freak out any drug inspector, lots of it the night before, 2 days is even better. Turnip wine just kept blowing that caps off too much. There has to be some way to use it without a dollop of moist white flour being the 'bulk' of the food. Time for a new 'trail treat' maple flavored, as a gummy thing or ground into your oat fiber treats, ....... when you need the extra 64,000 calories per hour. It does cure that drool some people get as they pass the bacon isle but at a heavy cost.

If you dig a well in the middle the round fruity things won't roll away. (blending is optional after that point)

JLM

American pancake and waffle lovers who consume large quantities of syrup containing caramel colour may be putting themselves at a higher risk of developing cancer, a new report reveals.

I think there's probably a greater risk of developing rotten teeth! -

Nuggler
+1
Spent a summer in SC when I was 16. Frequented this restaurant, where they advertised pancakes with REAL Maple Syrup. The shyte was terrible.

I never have liked, and still don't ..............REal Maple Syrup.,,,,,even worse was their pancakes.

asked them where they got their syrup, and they told me "from the north"

Well fukk, good enough for the girl I go with.......................eh.

Sparrow
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

I think there's probably a greater risk of developing rotten teeth! -

Didn't you hear, sugar does not damage teeth it is acid that causes the damage.

JLM

Didn't you hear, sugar does not damage teeth it is acid that causes the damage.

I'd bet a thousand dentists would disagree! -

tay
5 reasons why oatmeal is a breakfast super-food

5 reasons why oatmeal is a breakfast super-food : TreeHugger (external - login to view)

SLM

Caramel colour is often used to give imitation maple syrups in the U.S. their amber hue common in more expensive pure maple syrups.
Consumer Reports, an American magazine published by the Consumers Union, says that some types of caramel colour contain 4-MeI, a potential carcinogen.

Read more: Report warns pancake syrups in U.S. may cause cancer; advises choosing real maple syrup instead | CTV News (external - login to view)

Blame that Aunt Jemima beotch....she's the one that made it popular.

OMG. Now I so want that breakfast!!!

Do you know how seriously dangerous it is that I have a Cora's right next door to me?

Ron in Regina
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilkoView Post

Mexicans consume a lot of that crap as well it's popularly known as 'Mable' believe it or not.

Here's a pic I took of the condiments at a roadside food place in Mexico.

Sal
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

OMG. Now I so want that breakfast!!!

Do you know how seriously dangerous it is that I have a Cora's right next door to me?

Well I know how dangerous it would be for me. And then I was stupid enough to start a pancake discussion in the pool this morning at 7:00 A.M.

Torture.

Sparrow
+2
Pancakes are my feel good food. Don't have them too often so when I do the are delicious.

However a discussion at 7:00AM is dangerous.

Twila
table syrup is so unappetizing. I love maple syrup. It's goes really well on vanilla ice cream too.

I can't stand "maple" flavoured stuff. ick.

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

table syrup is so unappetizing. I love maple syrup. It's goes really well on vanilla ice cream too.

I can't stand "maple" flavoured stuff. ick.

Maple syrup is the best but I can only take it in small doses, it's far, far too sweet. But I agree on the maple flavoured yuck, blah! Lol.

spaminator
14 marvelous maple syrup recipes
QMI Agency
First posted: Sunday, April 06, 2014 07:00 AM EDT
14 marvelous maple syrup recipes | Eat | Life | Toronto Sun (external - login to view)

Twila

Maple syrup is the best but I can only take it in small doses, it's far, far too sweet. But I agree on the maple flavoured yuck, blah! Lol.

I recently learned that the maple syrup Consummers buy is actually meant to be super sweet. Grade A Maple syrup was used as a sugar replacement during WWII due to rationings and was created to have less maple flavour so it could be used as a replacement for cane sugar.

Grade B is the full of maple flavour, less sweet variety that will make your mouth water.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
I prefer Aunt Jemima myself. Probably because that is what I got used to. Real maple syrup doesn't taste right.

JLM
+1

I don't mind canned beans in Maple syrup or even better in molasses!

jjaycee98

Yah well. about 10 years back they were really trashing Bacon as a sure Cancer causing agent. Then about 2 years ago Bacon became the most sought after food in North America. There are recipes for Bacon Muffins, Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies, Bacon Cupcakes. Denny's Restaurants even had a Maple and Bacon Milkshake on the menu.

So is it the Maple Sugar marketing Board behind this?

Twila
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

I don't mind canned beans in Maple syrup or even better in molasses!

When I go camping, I make sure to have a can beans for the morning breakfast. With eggs and bacon it's almost gourmet.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by jjaycee98View Post

Yah well. about 10 years back they were really trashing Bacon as a sure Cancer causing agent. Then about 2 years ago Bacon became the most sought after food in North America. There are recipes for Bacon Muffins, Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies, Bacon Cupcakes. Denny's Restaurants even had a Maple and Bacon Milkshake on the menu.

So is it the Maple Sugar marketing Board behind this?

Pretty well ALL food is good.............................................. .in moderation. A couple of rashers of bacon every two weeks isn't going to give you cancer, a pound at every meal might!

Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

When I go camping, I make sure to have a can beans for the morning breakfast. With eggs and bacon it's almost gourmet.

You bet!

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by jjaycee98View Post

We've surpassed all that. Now we have the Bacon Bowl.

Perfect Bacon? Bowl | Official Site (external - login to view)

petros
+1

httpmyoutubecomwatchv1R3GbeQccA

Dr Tongue's Evil House of Pancakes. In 3D

SLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

httpmyoutubecomwatchv1R3GbeQccA

Dr Tongue's Evil House of Pancakes. In 3D

That an IHOP franchise?