Driver beaten by crowd after hitting boy is in critical condition, Detroit police say


Locutus
#1
detroit is a cesspool





UPDATE: Crowd stole motorist's money, credit cards after beating him unconscious (external - login to view)

A man who accidentally hit an 10-year-old boy with his pickup on Wednesday on Detroit’s east side remains hospitalized in critical condition after he was beaten by a large group of men (external - login to view), police said.

The 54-year-old Roseville man got out to check on the boy after the accident at about 4:10 p.m. near a gas station at Morang and Balfour streets. Then a large group of men assaulted the man, according to Detroit police Sgt. Michael Woody.

“My understanding is that it was a low-speed accident. It was exactly that — just an accident,” Woody said, adding that the boy stepped off a curb in front of the truck. “The man did try to stop and render aid. He did everything he could exactly right.”


more blight


Driver beaten by crowd after hitting boy is in critical condition, Detroit police say | Detroit Free Press | freep.com (external - login to view)

Driver clings to life after beating by attackers; boy expected to recover | Detroit Free Press | freep.com (external - login to view)
 
shadowshiv
#2
And it's idiots like this crowd that make me (almost) understand why some people don't stick around at the scene of an accident. You shouldn't have to worry about getting beat up (or killed!) for doing the right ****ing thing! Every single one of those thugs (and that is what they are, as the driver didn't do anything wrong) needs to get their asses thrown in the slammer. Maybe that would make them think twice.

Oh how nice! They also stole his ****ing money and credit cards after they were through beating the **** out of him. We all know who the real criminals are in this story, and it ISN'T the driver.
 
spaminator
#3
Two teens arrested after severely beating man who hit child with car
Kevin Murphy, Reuters
First posted: Saturday, April 05, 2014 06:22 PM EDT | Updated: Saturday, April 05, 2014 06:36 PM EDT
Two teenagers were taken into custody on Saturday in the severe beating in Detroit of a motorist who stopped to help a 10-year-old boy he struck with his vehicle, with the arrests coming a day after city leaders decried the attack, police said.
The two juveniles, age 16 and 17, were taken into custody without incident and are believed to have been among a group of 10 to 12 bystanders who attacked the driver, said Detroit police spokesman Sergeant Michael Woody. The two teens have not yet been charged and their names were not released, Woody said.
Steven Utash, 54, remains in critical condition in a Detroit hospital, Woody said. The child he hit, David Harris, was released from a hospital on Thursday, police said.
Utash accidentally struck Harris as the boy stepped from a curb into traffic and no charges against him are being pursued, police said.
Woody said police continue to investigate the beating and hope to make other arrests.
On Friday, Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan and city council President Brenda Jones issued a joint statement condemning the "senseless vigilante-style attack" on Utash.
Supporters of Utash, who is from the Detroit suburb of Roseville, are raising money for him through the GoFundMe crowdfunding website. The website says Utash has no insurance and his family needs help to pay his medical bills. As of late Saturday afternoon, more than $74,000 had been raised, exceeding the $50,000 goal, according to the website.
Two teens arrested after severely beating man who hit child with car | World | News | Toronto Sun (external - login to view)
 
no new posts