Cost to mail a letter soars 35%

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Now 85 cents to post a 1st-class letter within Canada, up from 63 cents

The cost of mailing a first-class letter within Canada went up to 85 cents today — a 35 per cent jump from the 63 cents it cost yesterday.
But the 85-cent rate is only available if stamps are purchased in a pack. If you want to buy just one stamp, it will cost $1.

na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye

Cost to mail a letter soars 35% - Business - CBC News

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
a buck a Christmas card...are they trying to discourage/kill snail mail?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
it's gonna cost me $30.00 may as well drive everywhere and deliver them...bastards...

lucky me though, I bought a role a hundred years ago and they have no denomination on them...thus you can use them ad infinitum

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
it's gonna cost me $30.00 may as well drive everywhere and deliver them...bastards...

lucky me though, I bought a role a hundred years ago and they have no denomination on them...thus you can use them ad infinitum

Actually it's probably not all that much when you consider how much people will spend to yack on cell phones!

Post Office sorta does things bass ackwards

Yeah, but they are at a huge disadvantage, we have a population of 35 million spread across an area the size of Europe and half of it being only travelled by dog sled or float plane and a diminishing demand for snail mail (most of my bills are emailed to me and are paid by automatic withdrawal from my bank) We email birthday cards etc. In B.C. here mail box theft is starting to run rampant.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
With the war on terrorism the government has an easier time monitoring digital messages through computers than old fashion letters in sealed envelops just too labour intensive.

Emails are free just not secure.

The government uses keywords to find threats so when using emails one has to watch what they say or it can be mistaken for a terrorist threat and your name will end up on a watch list of the elite law enforcement crowd.

Emails are a compliment to Big Brother.

For $.85 or a buck, buys you peace of mind, which is cheap.

Government post offices are concentrating more on premium and secure fast mail like courier and express mail, package deliveries and advertising mail, which is their bread and butter business and letter mail will always fluctuate in volume due to the influx of immigrants that come from poor countries where the Internet is too expensive.

The post office will always be around.

Delivery drones are the next acquisition of government post offices.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
The effect of this increase on small business is HUGE. Our mail volume is quite large and we have no other alternative. And, since government determines the amount we can charge, we can't simply raise our rates.

There goes this years raise (if it was ever even considered).

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The effect of this increase on small business is HUGE. Our mail volume is quite large and we have no other alternative. And, since government determines the amount we can charge, we can't simply raise our rates.

It is a huge increase, Dixie Cup, in the order of 30% but given the demographics of Canada and the fact the demand for conventional mail is quickly dwindling, I'm not sure what other solution is feasible. If service is decreased there will be screaming, if employees are laid off there will be screaming, if employee's hours are reduced there will be screaming. What do posters think is a workable solution? I don't agree with non users having to subsidize the service.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
It is a huge increase, Dixie Cup, in the order of 30% but given the demographics of Canada and the fact the demand for conventional mail is quickly dwindling, I'm not sure what other solution is feasible. If service is decreased there will be screaming, if employees are laid off there will be screaming, if employee's hours are reduced there will be screaming. What do posters think is a workable solution? I don't agree with non users having to subsidize the service.

If indeed. In line with this increase, Canada post will shead thousands of jobs as
many will retire and their positions just won't be replaced, and lay-offs, and within
the next five years...there will no longer be any home delivery service.

Yes, small business and charities.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Now 85 cents to post a 1st-class letter within Canada, up from 63 cents

The cost of mailing a first-class letter within Canada went up to 85 cents today — a 35 per cent jump from the 63 cents it cost yesterday.
But the 85-cent rate is only available if stamps are purchased in a pack. If you want to buy just one stamp, it will cost $1.

na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye

Cost to mail a letter soars 35% - Business - CBC News

And they wonder why so many people aren't using the mailing system anymore. Even when it was "just" 63 cents, that was far too expensive.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
And they wonder why so many people aren't using the mailing system anymore. Even when it was "just" 63 cents, that was far too expensive.

Still a lot less than people are willing to pay for mindless nattering on cell phones! -:)