Deputy chief had to make fateful decision as fire raged

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

The moment came several minutes into Wednesday’s raging fire, after the radio transmissions from two trapped Boston firefighters — Lieutenant Edward J. Walsh and Firefighter Michael R. Kennedy — went silent.

Boston firefighters had pulled Kennedy’s severely injured body from the basement of 298 Beacon St. But they could not immediately get to Walsh.

As fiery embers rained and a fierce wind blew, Deputy Chief Joe Finn had to decide whether to risk the men’s lives to save a fallen colleague, or to stand down.

more

Incident commander in deadly Boston blaze was faced with an agonizing decision - Metro - The Boston Globe

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
That's his entire raison d'etre.

He should work on that.
Firefighters like Police, Soldiers are close knit group.

Boston Fire Fighters

Funerals scheduled for fallen Boston firefighters - News Local Massachusetts - Boston.com

Boston Fire Department | City of Boston
1467 Firefighters in Boston. Very tight-knit and if you have been one for a tad of time, everyone knows everyone.

Uniformed Personnel

Chief of Department

Chief of Operations

Deputy Fire Chiefs

District Fire Chiefs

Fire Captains

Fire Lieutenants

Fire Fighters

Fire Alarm Personnel

Civilian Personnel

Total FD Personnel

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
A tough call to make, I doubt he will ever get over it completely.

Yes. Send more family into a hopeless situation and in all probability lose them along with the family they were sent in to rescue.
As I mentioned Firefighters, Police, Military, always tight. You depend on that other person(s) with your life.
Not one word could I find that condemned the decision.