Maine man in search of valuable mineral performs C-section on dead porcupine, saves b

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Maine man in search of valuable mineral performs C-section on dead porcupine, saves baby

A Maine man in search of a valuable mineral cut open a dead porcupine on the side of the road and unexpectedly pulled out its baby.

Jared Buzzell, of Lisbon, says he was searching for wild mushrooms Thursday when he saw a porcupine get hit by a car in Minot. Buzzell says he'd heard that a valuable mineral deposit used in Chinese medicine formed in the stomachs of porcupines.

He then cut open the dead porcupine to search for the mineral and instead found the baby.

He tells WMTW-TV (bit.ly/1hlWRUl) he cut the umbilical cord and thought the baby porcupine was dead until he started massaging it and it began breathing.

Buzzell is caring for the baby at home and plans to give it to a licensed wildlife rehabilitator.

source: Maine man in search of valuable mineral performs C-section on dead porcupine, saves baby | Fox News

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I don't think that I would want to cut open a porcupine to get at a mineral, but kudos to him for attempting (and succeeding) to save the life of the baby porcupine when he discovered it.

Boomer, do you know is Maine has any restrictions on selling those kinds of things on the market(such as various parts of animals)?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Have no idea, only visited Maine once..

I run Southern states and Ohio sometimes..

Well, thanks anyhow. Perhaps Eaglesmack will know as he lives in Maine.

What about in Texas (that is where you're from, isn't it?)? I know that a lot of places frown on items such as that, particularly if they are from certain species of animals.